Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Grate Questions

2»

Comments

•  I need someone in the north east Dallas area to be a Guinea Pig.  You must use the item n not sit and play with it lol It will be yours to keep but feedback needed.

Once we get something lined out we will be giving away some freebies to test run on a larger scale.. A much larger scale!!

So what you're sayin is all I have to do is fly from Newark to Dallas and you will give me one that I can use and show off to everyone? I will make you proud!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wouldn't coat the steel if it's 304 SS. It'll season itself with use. I'd love to test one in my large. Also, any update on the spoons? 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    The grates that @Mickey and Spring Chicken have appear to be me made out of regular A36 steel.  I assume that they will rust over time.

I can make my own custom grate here at our shop, but I have never done it.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I wouldn't coat the steel if it's 304 SS. It'll season itself with use. I'd love to test one in my large. Also, any update on the spoons? 
     Making one out of 304 SS  would be the best option but no one could afford to buy one it it were being 1/4" SS plate is higher than a giraffes butt!!  That's why I was thinking ceramic coated carbon steel. 

On the spoons I'm having  an online store built now so once it's up I'll let you know,  sorry for the delay on that but it's a bigger deal than I thought at first to get the stuff online 
  • johnkitchens
    I wouldn't coat the steel if it's 304 SS. It'll season itself with use. I'd love to test one in my large. Also, any update on the spoons? 
     Making one out of 304 SS  would be the best option but no one could afford to buy one it it were being 1/4" SS plate is higher than a giraffes butt!!  That's why I was thinking ceramic coated carbon steel. 

On the spoons I'm having  an online store built now so once it's up I'll let you know,  sorry for the delay on that but it's a bigger deal than I thought at first to get the stuff online 
    If you make it out of A36 plate do you have to coat it? How do you coat it with ceramics? 

• I wouldn't coat the steel if it's 304 SS. It'll season itself with use. I'd love to test one in my large. Also, any update on the spoons? 

If you make it out of A36 plate do you have to coat it? How do you coat it with ceramics? 
      A36 doesn't have enough carbon in it to hold up IMO, one overshoot on temp and she's warped and it will rust if not coated pretty quick and or taken really good care of.
       As far as coatings go you either have it done or spend about $50,000 plus getting set up to do it yourself. 
  • johnkitchens
    @Thumper169 thanks for the info. I am not familiar at all with ceramic coating, but I am with cut plate. There have been a few posts on here about some of the custom grids warping. Not a good day. 

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    I'd be happy to be the Canadian test pilot.    :)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    edited March 2015
    I think the most interesting part, from a marketing aspect, would be customization. I would pay extra for a personalized grate like Mickey's. A heavier rod SS grid would be nice as well.
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    @Thumper169 You wouldn't have a water jet in your shop by any chance, would you?  I need some work done...I am in Dallas.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    The grates that Spring Chicken have appear to be me made out of regular A36 steel.  I assume that they will rust over time.

The grates that Spring Chicken have appear to be me made out of regular A36 steel.  I assume that they will rust over time.

I talked to the guy that made mine and found you should clean it after using and spray with Pam. Well it's been a year now so I will have to sand it down. He sais if you do not want rust for $300 he can do it out of SS. Here is mine at a year without any maintance so I will be busy the next few days making it like new. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I thought just flip it every few times and burn it off. Hell man, I sold cars for a living. Will be working on this today. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thumper, there are a few examples out there that do 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch 304 solid rod. They go for around 150 for an 18 inch grid. I didn't realize you were talking about plate steel. A popular "baking steel" is just under $100 out of Boston and the guy uses recycled A36. I'm pretty sire the CGW swing rack is A36 too. I have the Baking Steel and just need to keep it seasoned. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me keep it inside so it sits in the garage with my other grill stuff. I have to brush off surface rust every so often but I have not had any pitting yet. 

Could you do something with a channel(similar to a cutting board with the meat juice groove) around 1/2 to 1 inch in from the edge? I'd love something like that for a griddle since it will have a built-in grease trap to prevent flares.
  • @Thumper169 You wouldn't have a water jet in your shop by any chance, would you?  I need some work done...I am in Dallas.
    No sir I don't, those machines are to costly to operate and run to close to the edge of destruction for a $200,000 machine.  What are you needing done? Shot me a pm 
  • Mickey if you had removed the mill scale and seasoned it properly then it wouldn't have rusted near as bad. I saw your original post and noticed you didn't remove the mill scale prior to using it which would have made a big difference. It's obvious a few people making these are not really up to speed on how or what to do to care for steel in a heated environment :)  Or the metal characteristics itself for that matter.  No  custom flat metal is going to take nuclear temps very well long term outside of cast iron but it can be kept in check with a few simple steps.

The ceramic coating IMO would be better than one is SS for several reasons the first of which would be a better non sticking surface and cheaper than a SS plate but we shall see soon enough on that one. 

• johnkitchens
    I am interested in seeing your finished product @Thumper169.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I had to make me a pepper tray right quick to :) I'll cut another one out of SS once I see how she works. 
    I've got one exactly like that. Just haven't used it yet :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM