Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which BGE accessory has been a game changer for you?

Options
For low and slows my Maverick is so nice. Of course my Thermapen is essential. It is so essential in fact that I don't even want to call it an accessory. It is almost like it is required for grilling. (For me anyway)

This may sound stupid, but the thing that has made the most difference for me is the addition of the high-que grate. It really has been a game changer. Prior to adding them to my eggs I didn't grill a lot during the week because by the time I got home from work and lit the grill and got it up to temp and cooked it would really cut into helping with homework and study time with the kids. 

Now I am up to temp and cooking in not time. I will never switch back. What has been a game changer for you?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I don't have a lot.  Thermapen is big, maverick, but the best thing lately is a pair of Grill Armor Gloves.  They are Kevlar, Nomex blend with cotton lining.  I can pick up a nuclear cast iron and set aside, or bring something kick ass hot into the house no problem.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I need a pair of those Jason. Where can I get them?

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Small woo with stone. The small has become my favorite cooker since i added it. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I need a pair too. I bought the gator gloves. They don't fit. So much for on size fits all. Back to the question at hand. Pizza stone and peel. Big green egg both, love them both.  
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks Jason.

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I gotta say the woo for both the large and small. Makes it super easy to from indirect to direct for searing. They are used in some way or fashion for 95% of my cooks.  Thermapen is just a given. And the wok is just an all out blast to cook in.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thumper169
    Options
     Thermapen was a big one and  then the 20" discada set up I built for the XL. I can use the disc in the egg or on the burner. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    PsWoo CI changed the game for me. I love to reverse sear and this setup made it SO easy. If I hadnt already had a platesetter I would have an AR but for now, pswoo + spider + cast iron grids (2sizes) has totally transformed how I cook. 

One cool thing I have figured out is if I use my spider and stone and then go ahead with the woo with platesetter in it for indirect low and slows, I dont get the hot spots on the 3 points of the platesetter. Heat stays even with no hotspots. Just a little thing I accidentally stumbled upon. 

Little Rock, AR

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    AR. Versatility at its finest. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    well, for one, the BGE itself is & was the biggest game changer for me.

I bought most of my accessories before my first cook, so I started with using the platesetter, CI grate, etc.

for later accessories, I guess the DigiQ was a big game changer as it made me more comfortable doing low & slows like today.  Before the Digi-Q, I would quickly resort to my Electric Smoker for a 10 hour cook.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    For my large It would by the woo...  Going from indirect to direct is so simple and now able to do many things I could not do previously...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    AR, digi q.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Tough one.  AR. Thermapen. ThirdHand by thirdeye. Looftlighter.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    AR for the large, Woo for the medium and small. Nothing Tom does is a small impact on my cooking. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    John, for the same reasons you like the high que, my vote goes for the ash basket. Open the lid, pull it out, shake it over the trash can, reload and light. Too bad there's not one for the minimax; if I get a free Saturday, I'm gonna make one. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My weed torch. I was getting inconsistent lights with the cubes. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Believe it or not, the humble plate setter.  I use it in my XL with my AR and also in my small with my 2 Tier Swing Rack.  Woo & stones for my mini.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    No question. www.ceramicgrillstore.com ! When I ordered the Adjustable Rig for the Large it changed everything. It gives versatility for any kind of cook I do. I have not done any cook since without using it in some way shape or form. Since then when I got the Small and Mini, I didn't even use them until I ordered the Woo and ceramic (from Amazon for the Mini) for each.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    The accessory that has been a game changer for me is my 2nd Egg, Mini Max.  Versatility, portability, quicker weeknight cooks.  Complete Egging life game changer.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You have guys have given some great suggestions. I like hearing other opinions on things that have made a difference. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Really long tongs.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Firewires.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @johnkitchens I cook almost every night on the Egg. Didn't know the high-que grate existed but is sure makes sense. My question is don't you lose smaller lump through the grate that would still burn on the BGE grate?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not sure about a game changer but the least used Eggsessorie for me is the mini-woo and the 13 inch CI grate (for a Large Egg) I do sometimes throw the CI grate on the standard grate for grill marks on steaks. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @johnkitchens I cook almost every night on the Egg. Didn't know the high-que grate existed but is sure makes sense. My question is don't you lose smaller lump through the grate that would still burn on the BGE grate?
    I am sure some of the smaller pieces do fall through, but for me it is a worthwhile trade off. I am one of those dump and light guys. I am usually in a hurry so for me it works great. 

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    I am sure some of the smaller pieces do fall through, but for me it is a worthwhile trade off. I am one of those dump and light guys. I am usually in a hurry so for me it works great. 
    i echo this.  the increased air flow is well worth the tradeoff
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options

John,

I am in the same boat as you - I am not able to use the Egg as much during the week due to kids dinner, homework and bathtime.  So I need a way to get the egg up and going quicker.  What is the High que grate and where can I get one?  any others to make it easier to use?  And why does an AR help?    I have cooked ribs, pork tenderloin, wings, beer can chicken and with exception of the wings I am not sure how an AR can help?  maybe I don't have the vision?