Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tri-Tip Question

Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,699
edited 1:46AM in EggHead Forum
I asked for a Tri-Tip today at my grocery store and they first said they had none but I pressed and they came back saying they had some, two in a package. Looked to be about four pounds. $31.00. For some reason I thought Tri-Tips were considerably cheaper than that. What is a good price for Tri-Tip?[p]Spring "Learning All The Time" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

·

Comments

• Woody54Woody54 Posts: 148
    Spring Chicken,[p]I seem to remember paying in the $3.50/lb. range.[p]Woody54
    ·
  • Spring Chicken, check Costco, plus or minus $5 a pound.. T

·
  • Spring Chicken,[p]I ain't seen em up here that often, but the price ranged anywhere from 4 to 8 bucks a pound. I didn't buy anything over 6 bucks..maybe if I sold a poem I kood..but until then...[p]StumpBaby

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    StumpBaby,[p]Maybe if you tried publishing some of them pomes here it would help your marketing effort.[p]Course you wouldn't want to give away all ur bestins, just one or two as a tease.[p]Jethro
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,832
    Spring Chicken, up here in IL where we raise the corn to feed to the cattle also raised here I have now paid between $5.39 and $5.99 per pound at butcher shops which are the only places I can find them. Typically I find those shops tend to be a bit higher, but quality and service is worth it. Be glad you found them in your grocery store...around here the meat clerks look at me in bewilderment and utter "try-what"?

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Spring Chicken,
    If you're a Costco member look for them in the "BULK PAK"
    Here in Calif. the bulk pak is $3.89 lb. The pak cost about $63 or so.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

·
  • TheHulkTheHulk Posts: 157
    I had a butcher at Albertson's cut me a couple a few weeks back for $4.99 lb.

The Hulk
    ·
  • Jethro,[p]
    But I did down below..and I dont mind tellyin ya it hurt mine giant head somethin fierce[p]Stumpbaby

·
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Spring Chicken,[p]Generally can't find them in the DC area unless you ask specifically. The California chain, Trader Joe's, has them at about $5-6 a pound which is pretty close to your price. These cuts seem to be much more popular and available on the west coast.
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,699
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks guys. In the meantime I've been reading up on it and learned a bit more about what it is and why it is such a rarity. I'll try again at some of the more reasonably priced sources.[p]Spring "An Egg Saved Is An Egg Earned" Chicken

·
  • NCEggerNCEgger Posts: 67
    Spring Chicken,[p]When on sale at the local Harris Teeter they are $3.99/lb. These are usually pre-packaged marinated tri-tips. They are still very good. I spoke to the butcher and he said they could cut me up one any day I called early in the morning.
    ·
  • BabyrayBabyray Posts: 250
    Spring Chicken,
    Most butchers around McComb, Ms. didn't know what I was talking about, but new store in town, McComb Market (same owners as Natchez, Vidalia, Ferriday, Markets) butcher new about tri-tips and cut me one 3 1/2 # total costs $13 plus. I served that last nite and it was great. I more or less followed Grillin Bill's recipe off this site under beef. Did the 36 hr. marinade and his rub as described for 24 hrs.[p]I had previously purchased some in Jackson for over $6 per #.[p]Have a good Wednesday.[p]Ray

·
  • PainterPainter Posts: 464
    RRP,
    Ron. I bought a case of six tri-tips for $3.11 lb 6 weeks ago.
    Well marbled choice. It might be worth your while to give them a call.
    I think they may deliver in your area. A call can't hurt. They are located on the out skirts of Madison, Wisconsin.
    Bob

[ul][li]uw provisions[/ul]
    ·
  • PainterPainter Posts: 464
    Painter,
    I forgot to mention I get them fresh not frozen although delivered may be different.
    Bob

·