Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bones and Cornbread

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
I have to start out and thank Ripnem for "winning" the homemade handle at Frozen Fest. It's a nice upgrade for the small egg.  My cook itself is nothing super fancy but threw on a rack of baby backs on the egg this weekend.  I have a rib competition coming up in May so I need to play around with some homemade sauces.  Since ribs were on the menu I decided to play around with some cornbread.  I tried a sweet cornbread recipe I found online.  It called for a 9" cake pan.  The bottom of the cornbread was pretty dark but the rest of the cornbread was good. What do the rest of you use to cook your cornbread in on the egg? Cast Iron?  Probably what I'll use next time so the bottom doesn't get done first.  The baby backs were a good change of pace since I usually do St.Louis spare ribs when practicing for the competition.  My wife and I had our niece's over this past weekend and the two year old kept asking for "more bones". I think it was her first time having ribs.  She was a little rib monster!  Took some pics along the way 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I do use a CI skillet (the D handle skillet lid from my Lodge 5qt DO). I think the CI takes a little longer to heat allowing the top to cook before the bottom gets too well done. I've had the same issue when using metal pie pans. 
    Nice looking ribs and corn bread. 
    BTW, also use the CI skillet for deep dish pizza and taters au gratin)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Outstanding!  :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Man, I could go for some cornbread about now. Looks great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Looks great @WeberWho?  I like the new handle too. 

Would you mind sharing the cornbread recipe? (if it was good!)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I do use a CI skillet (the D handle skillet lid from my Lodge 5qt DO). I think the CI takes a little longer to heat allowing the top to cook before the bottom gets too well done. I've had the same issue when using metal pie pans. 
    I remember a recipe where you preheat the cast iron before adding the cornbread mix, maybe try something like that next time.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Those ribs made me pull some out of the freezer for tomorrow.

Cornbread looks awesome also.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Just plain great lookin' cook!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Thank you for the tips!  My sister ended up getting me a ceramic deep dish pizza pan a few years ago.  My buddy did a couple deep dish pizzas with a cast iron pan a few weekends ago on the egg and they were fantastic.  He's getting me the recipe and I'm looking forward to doing a pie or two. I haven't done the Au gratin potatoes on the egg yet but something I should try out
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Outstanding!  :clap: 
    @NPHuskerFLThank you!  Simple and hits the spot

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

DMW said:
    Man, I could go for some cornbread about now. Looks great.
    Thank you! @DMW I'd like to keep cornbread in the rotation a little bit more. A little more practice should help things out

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Really, really, nice! Those ribs look perfect and who wouldn't dig that cornbread?
  • WeberWho
    Options

Those ribs made me pull some out of the freezer for tomorrow.

Cornbread looks awesome also.

@Hungry Joe  Haha thanks!  Hopefully I can get another rack in this weekend myself

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

jaydub58 said:
    Just plain great lookin' cook!
    @jaydub58 Thank you sir!  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Really, really, nice! Those ribs look perfect and who wouldn't dig that cornbread?
    @pgprescott Thanks!  The sauce needs some more tweaking but headed in the right direction I think.  Cornbread will take some more time to get right but never had it growing up.  Still pretty foreign to me

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @pgprescott Thanks!  The sauce needs some more tweaking but headed in the right direction I think.  Cornbread will take some more time to get right but never had it growing up.  Still pretty foreign to me
    I assume by the post that you are the creator of your own sauce? Sweet and heat? Ketchup, brown sugar, cayenne, mustard, Worcester sauce, maybe soy, black pepper,sautéed garlic and onion? On the right track?
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @pgprescott The only three ingredients that are the same are the onions, brown sugar, and garlic.  Except I don't saute the garlic. I decided to bake the garlic and turn it into paste for the sauce.  My sauce is more of a teriyaki base with a slight hint of fruit flavor.  I think I need to add more brown sugar to thicken it up.  It didn't get as thick as I was hoping for. Hopefully I get some time this weekend to play around and see what I can come up with

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @pgprescott The only three ingredients that are the same are the onions, brown sugar, and garlic.  Except I don't saute the garlic. I decided to bake the garlic and turn it into paste for the sauce.  My sauce is more of a teriyaki base with a slight hint of fruit flavor.  I think I need to add more brown sugar to thicken it up.  It didn't get as thick as I was hoping for. Hopefully I get some time this weekend to play around and see what I can come up with
    Sounds cool. Definitely out of the norm. Well, really looks great. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @WeberWho - tip on the au gratins - stand the tater slices on an angle like roof tiles. Lets all that cheesy goodness get down in-between the slices. I grease the skillet with crisco, nice crust and easy clean up. No finished pics. 

700 grams (1-1/2 pounds) potatoes (about 4 medium)

40ml Salted butter (2-1/2 Tbs), if using unsalted butter add 2.5ml (1/2tsp) salt

45ml Flour (3Tbs)

400ml milk (1-1/2 to 2 cups) good for a 10” skillet

1 garlic clove crushed

250ml (1 cup) American sharp cheddar cheese shredded, if using Canadian cheese, use mild or medium cheddar. 

15ml Parma/Romano finely shredded (1Tbs)

Arrange peeled and sliced potatoes in well greased pan or cast iron skillet like roof tiles, on an angle. 

In saucepan, melt butter and salt if required, stir in flour (making a roux), slowly add milk to almost boil. Add garlic and cheese. Once melted, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle more Parma/Romano on top.

Indirect in the egg at 350ºF to 400F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown. Let rest for five minutes and serve. 

Onion powder can be added to the roux or before adding the flour, sauté fresh finely chopped 1/4 small onion or 2 shallots in the butter. Add seasoning that you like. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @WeberWho - tip on the au gratins - stand the tater slices on an angle like roof tiles. Lets all that cheesy goodness get down in-between the slices. I grease the skillet with crisco, nice crust and easy clean up. No finished pics. 

700 grams (1-1/2 pounds) potatoes (about 4 medium)

40ml Salted butter (2-1/2 Tbs), if using unsalted butter add 2.5ml (1/2tsp) salt

45ml Flour (3Tbs)

400ml milk (1-1/2 to 2 cups) good for a 10” skillet

1 garlic clove crushed

250ml (1 cup) American sharp cheddar cheese shredded, if using Canadian cheese, use mild or medium cheddar. 

15ml Parma/Romano finely shredded (1Tbs)

Arrange peeled and sliced potatoes in well greased pan or cast iron skillet like roof tiles, on an angle. 

In saucepan, melt butter and salt if required, stir in flour (making a roux), slowly add milk to almost boil. Add garlic and cheese. Once melted, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle more Parma/Romano on top.

Indirect in the egg at 350ºF to 400F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown. Let rest for five minutes and serve. 

Onion powder can be added to the roux or before adding the flour, sauté fresh finely chopped 1/4 small onion or 2 shallots in the butter. Add seasoning that you like. 

@Skiddymarker That looks rediculously good!  Thank you very much for the recipe and pics.  Wow!  This cook is going to happen.  Can't wait!

Minnesota
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Looks great. But just 1 slab?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings haha thanks!  It does feel like a waste of lump with one rack of ribs.  More less needed the practice.  I'm tempted to cut them in half and use the small but I'll be using the large at the comp so thought it might be a little more beneficial

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings Thanks!  Just don't wish any luck to @Brisket_Fanatic here on the forum.  He doesn't need any!  ;)  He won everything last year!  Okay I'm just jealous

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Ribs and Cornbread are looking spot on. Registration is the 11th and you keep playing with that sauce and I'm sure you'll kick our ass this year.....  =)

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    Options
    Ribs and Cornbread are looking spot on. Registration is the 11th and you keep playing with that sauce and I'm sure you'll kick our ass this year.....  =)
    I just added it to my calendar on my phone this morning so I wouldn't forget.  I'll take anything but last.  I'm just playing around with different flavor profiles.  Nothing serious. Hopefully we can get Adam out again.  I'm hoping Jerry can make it down this year.  Should be a good time!

Minnesota