Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE thermometer

Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The therm. that came with the BGE appears to have gone out. It's been less than a year. :( Is this typical? I'm going to be near a store that sells BGE's this afternoon so was going to stop and pick up a new one plus a spare, if they tend to go out often.[p]Thanks,
Gwen

Comments

• dimplesmom,
    I bought a Tel-Tru on the recommendation from the eggers on this board. I have been very happy with it and I have just finish a year of egging with it. The one that I purchased is the Tek-Tru LT225R with 5 inch stem. You can view it at[p]http://www.teltru.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=16&product_id=23100565[p]The Naked Whiz has some good information regarding these thermometers on his web site (see below link). Good luck and let us know what you decide.

[ul][li]What Tel-Tru to buy[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader,
    That pic you ordered shows it only goes up to 500 degrees. The naked whiz site mentions one that goes to 650 and one that goes to 1000. [p]???[p]Have people just had too many problems with the BGE them and that's why they're ordering the tru tel?[p]Gwen

• dimplesmom,
    That's just the picture. The description says it goes to 100°. (It does, that's the model I just bought.)[p]My first BGE thermometer lasted about a year, but it was the "sooner discontinued plastic faced" model. My dealer, who didn't have to, replaced it for free. My next one, with the "old and not improved but better than the plastic" glass faced one last about 5 years. It started getting flakey and I decided to go with the Tel-Tru. I've been happy with it so far, but I don't think it's any more accurate than the BGE model. The jury is still out on wether it lasts longer or not.[p]The short answer is they last as long as they last. You'll note that there are only two items on the Egg that don't come with a life time warranty: The thermometer and the gasket. I think you can probably hedge your bets by keeping the Egg covered when not in use. Some folks, not I, even take the thermometer inside with them when not in use.[p]HTH[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Typo Alert: make that 1000°
  • Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    On the same thermometer subject but not on lifetime...[p]I was wondering what was the deal with the calibration. I did tested it and it was 25 degrees off calibration. I tried to calibrate as mentioned in the manual, but does this knot really meant to turn? I was sure that it looked more like I was tearing the thermometer appart if I tried to force it any more. Is there something I did't get here?[p]By the way, hi all from Canada. I have the egg for a year now and I just started to enjoy this forum... this is amazing! So many tips and new stuff to try! Will post some day my smoked salmon recipe, I promise ;-)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kelly Keefe, I always pull my hot Tel-Trus from the dome and place in a drawer out of harms way when finished cooking. I replace them with a golf tee. In the morning I cover my eggs. To date I don't have water in the dial, but I use the following rationale. When sweat soldering a copper pipe and copper joint together you apply heat to the joint. That heat permits the solder to melt and then capulary action draws the solder into that minute space. Think then of the hot metal thermometer case next to the glass dial and when water is present - even dew or condensation and the water gets pulled into the minute space. Maybe it's far fetched but sign me "old dry dials Pratt" !

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dimplesmom,[p]
    My TelTru's..too of them..fogged up within a week of purchase. I herd they got a bad batch or somethin..but I will say they both still work fine...even though they're all foggy and whatnot. I was mad as hell though and used up somethin like a months worth of cus words in somethin like five minutes flat when I first seen they was all fogged up.[p]StumpBaby

• StumpBaby, Saying all those words in 5 minutes is like a man told me "I don't cuss but where I spit the grass won't grow"

• Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    RRP, Is there a way to get the condesation out?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Saucy Sue,
    I've read posts where people claim you can bake it out in a warm oven, but I don't know. OTOH if you have a small drill like a Drimel you can drill two holes in the metal case opposite each other like at 9 and 3, and blow the water out, bake it to dry it and then plug the tiny holes with a dab of scilicone. At least that approach worked for me when I was salvaging the old BGE thermometers. Sooner or later you'll probably want to spring for a new one anyway and consider the Tel-Tru brand then.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    RRP,Well, I am a woman!! I might get hurt or break a nail drilling holes. It's bothersome, but it still works. Sometimes I just tap it a bit to get the water down to the bottom. Thanks for the advice. I did think about baking it in the oven, but if something goes wrong, it could take too long to get a replacement. I guess I will order a new one soon.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Kelly Keefe,[p]I ended up getting the BGE one since I was there and could get it immediately. I didn't purchase a 'spare,' tho. If this one fails within a year, I'll go for the tru tel model. [p]I also go the cover, altho the salesperson told me it wouldn't really help with our PNW mold and mildew problem. I haven't been out to use the BGE since I fell and broke my leg the day after xmas. I sent hubby out to crank it up last Sunday to bbq for our son's b-day and there was so much mold on it! He got it all cleaned out but even with me giving him instructions from the doorway (he hates me telling him what to do), we couldn't get the fire hot enough and had to bring the steak inside to finish it in the oven. I should have been out there earlier in the day when we could still see getting it cleaned out and ready to go. I'm so lazy.[p]Gwen
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Saucy Sue,[p]I had water drops, not just fog, in mine. Per other messages here I drilled a hole on the edge at the bottom of mine but it didn't help until I hit TRex temps several times - that seems to have driving out most of the moisture. I looked this morning and it appears totally dry. [p]The one problem I had in drilling the hole, aside from the fact that it's stainless steel and harder to drill, is that the inside portion (with the logo and temp markings) is actually aluminum and when I got through the steel it bent the aluminum sorta ugly. It almost interferes with the needle at high (800+) temps but not quite.