Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg quarters

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
Alright guys, I'm new to the BGE universe and I'm cooking on an XL.  

Last night I tried to do chicken leg quarters and they didn't turn out great. I cooked at dome temp ~315 for 90 mins.  the fat rendered out of he skin, but the skin wasn't just crispy, it was almost leathery and tough.  Also, the meat was was moist, but the texture was rubbery.  

Thoughts? Ideas? 

This is has turned out perfect every on the old weber.  What did I do wrong on the egg?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Most will tell you to cook to temp not time. What IT did you pull the chicken off at? What was your egg setup? The higher in the dome you get the chicken the crispier from my experience. Also, dry skin out in fridge for 24 hours and include corn starch in your rub for extra crisp. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I cook leg quarters one of two ways. Indirect at 400-425 degrees or raised direct between 375-400 degrees. Works like a charm every time. If you are wanting to copy the charred Weber affect, then go with the raised direct option.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Most will tell you to cook to temp not time. What IT did you pull the chicken off at? What was your egg setup? The higher in the dome you get the chicken the crispier from my experience. Also, dry skin out in fridge for 24 hours and include corn starch in your rub for extra crisp. 
    Chubbs,

to to be perfectly honest, I never checked temp because the method always worked perfectly in the past.(probably my problem). Also, I need to get higher into the dome
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    You're cooking with a new cooker now - one that really retains moisture. Crank up the temp as prescribed above and check the food temp. I have been most pleased when I do dark meat indirect at 400+ degrees. It seems to really help the texture of the meat. I normally take my chicken drumsticks to 180-185 internal and they stay juicy. If I pull them off before 180, they're still a little tough(rubbery). I like to add a handful of wood chips right before I put the chicken on for a little smoke taste too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Thermapen. That is all.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Gotta agree with @sgh. I like high heat 400ish till close to done then crank it to 475-500 to really set the skin. All of this is indirect.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I'd go raised direct ~350-375F. If you really want to guarantee crispy skin, pat dry, salt and place in the fridge uncovered overnight. Mix some corn starch in with the dry rub and go skin down for the first 15 min or so. Cook to temp, but I find it'll usually be around 45min to hit IT. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 direct raised
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mickey told me to go raised direct at 375° and keep flipping them. Perfect!
    Judy in San Diego
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Took me about 6 mo.s to realize that I needed to forget everything I had done in metal cookers. The Egg is really different.

As mentioned, there is more moisture retention, and crisp skin happens better above 400 dome.

You can cook them direct or indirect. The main difference is that direct cooks a lot faster, and generally requires flipping the pieces a few times because the side facing the lump gets really hot.