Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginners guide to a stoker?

Options
Finally got mine today and love the build quality and the workmanship. I have got it hooked up to the wifi and have tested the blower to make sure that works. What do I need to do to control it from my phone while I'm at work/ out on the town? And what should I leave the daisy wheel set at for a low and slow cook? 

Thawing corned beef to give it a go tomorrow as long as the weather cooperates. Haven't had a chance to build my weather proof box yet....

My phone as well as my wife's is Android if that helps. Have the Pitpal app installed, just haven't had much time to play yet. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll be watching this, as I hope to be in the same boat soon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have the Pit Pal Pro Edition. Only difference I think is it lets you log cooks.  On that APP you click light pit and then start food. I recommend getting the Pit stabilized first and then clicking the light pit and immediately throw on your protein and click start food. From there the Stoker will take it and log it. If in the middle of say a butt smoke you want to bump the Pit temp up or down you can. You can also set notifications to alert you for food or pit temp and MANY other useful tools. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I posted twice but it got lost somewhere, but the Naked Whiz has an excellent write up on how to set it up to access from outside your network. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Would you kindly provide the dimensions of the unit? 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Finally got mine today and love the build quality and the workmanship. I have got it hooked up to the wifi and have tested the blower to make sure that works. What do I need to do to control it from my phone while I'm at work/ out on the town? And what should I leave the daisy wheel set at for a low and slow cook? 

Thawing corned beef to give it a go tomorrow as long as the weather cooperates. Haven't had a chance to build my weather proof box yet....

My phone as well as my wife's is Android if that helps. Have the Pitpal app installed, just haven't had much time to play yet. 

@Scottborasjr I would not recommend leaving your egg unattended while cooking. (Away from your home) It only takes a moment for a small incident to become a major issue as we have seen here lately.

I do recommend the Stoker Log software for your PC. You can save your cooks and over time see how each protein cook is effected with changes in your cooking styles.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @DoubleEgger it's small maybe 2x5x4 inches. I'm not at home at the moment and can check shortly.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @Hotch totally agree it can get out of control quick. Very reason I stopped doing over nighters. Not necessarily completely leaving the egg alone but that way I can monitor while at work with the wife being home.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Scottborasjr the case I made for mine was inexpensive and has kept it dry even during horrible storms. That and it's a handy case to store it all in once your done using it. IMHO it's a must to protect your investment. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL yep basically going to steal your design Blake and I thank you in advance. Hoping the kid doesn't have homework tonight so I can go to the store to get the pieces.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger it's small maybe 2x5x4 inches. I'm not at home at the moment and can check shortly.
    Thanks. I appreciate it sir. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @DoubleEgger 2 inches Hi 4.5 inches deep, 5.5 inches wide at the base. 5 inches deep on top. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@Scottboasjr This is a pic I copied from an other egghead's web page. Jerry has had this for a while. Keeps it dry.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Alright so I typically use firestarters so I would light as normal, wait til the starter goes out, load the indirect piece and set stoker up and start the stoker?
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DoubleEgger 2 inches Hi 4.5 inches deep, 5.5 inches wide at the base. 5 inches deep on top. 
    Thanks! That's pretty small. A couple of questions... How is it powered? Can I hook up two eggs to it? I have an XL and Medium. If you can does the app track both cooks? I appreciate your help before I drop $400 on a setup. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    5 volt 4 amp wall wart for mine.  I get a feeling they may change power sources with what is cheaper, less then a year ago it was a standard plug in that ran to a small box before going to the stoker, similar to a Playstation or other electronic. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @DoubleEgger yes you can hook two eggs up to it. However this is my first night and I only have the setup to do one eh at the time right now so can't answer the graph question personally but I'm almost positive it will.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks. If it'll do two eggs with all tracking, I'm all in!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I really do appreciate it sir. Enjoy your new setup. I think In gonna snag one tonight while they are still on sale. Thanks again. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks. If it'll do two eggs with all tracking, I'm all in!
    It'll actually do several more than 2 with the right connections for the ports. There are 6 ports standard. Take a gander at the website and you'll see all the options available and for many different vessels. It's a quality made unit that I think you'll appreciate.  :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    This thing is fantastic 225 solid for an hour going to rub and put the pastrami on shortly.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I'm gonna order the XL kit. Adding the medium puts the price at nearly $550. I have a little sticker shock. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah, it's not cheap, really got to evaluate how much you do low and slow cooks to make it worth it. But as I say that I cook a $100 piece of meat at least 6 times a year and not worrying about it makes me think it's worth it. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Ok held 225 like a champ without food on, opened it up to put the food on, shut the blower off before I opened the egg and it hasn't run since. Guessing I must be leaking air from my gasket somewhere as getting below 290 has been a challenge ever since.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Well I pulled the trigger this morning on a setup to run both eggs.  Thanks for your help with my questions. Much appreciated. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Congrats man I'm sure you will enjoy it
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Ok held 225 like a champ without food on, opened it up to put the food on, shut the blower off before I opened the egg and it hasn't run since. Guessing I must be leaking air from my gasket somewhere as getting below 290 has been a challenge ever since.
    Possible.  Was your top vent setting just barely open?  Say a toothpick size opening, or so?  Also, while this doesn't sound like your problem since you had the temp locked in for quite a while, in the winter months prepping for an overnight cook, I did make the mistake of letting the fan bring it up to initial temp (laziness) once and then, to no surprise, watched the temperature continue to soar just out of shear momentum after the fan shus off.  Since then I try to make sure that the stoker does not have to bring the egg up to temp.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    *shut
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Just made the same mistake - I bet your blower is in upside down. The flange goes to the right, not the left. If upside down then the gravity-based flap remains open all the time... :s  
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just a heads up, I recently received mine. I also came across Stoker-web.
    https://code.google.com/p/stoker-web/

This is installed on a server on your home network. It communicates with the stoker and can log the cook, etc. You can connect to the Stoker-web server via an https connection from outside. It also allows for setting up unique user accounts, etc. I have not had time to really dig in, but it looks like there are some neat reporting options. Unfortunately the jasper reports aren't working properly for me currently. I am running it on CentOS 7 64 bit, I'll give it a try on other OS when I have time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Just made the same mistake - I bet your blower is in upside down. The flange goes to the right, not the left. If upside down then the gravity-based flap remains open all the time... :s  
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I want to get it right the first time.