Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Question RE: Lighter Fluid

Options
OK, so I have a Big Green Egg and while browsing my local craigslist I saw one for sale for a very reasonable $350 that I thought about getting for my dad. I called the guy and he says it was his fathers but that his dad used lighter fluid in it so I should be aware of that. 

I looked on the BGE website and they said if that happens you just need to do a cleaning burn (no food) for a few cycles to clear it up. But a few grilling sites say that the Big Green Egg is permanently screwed up once lighter fluid gets in. They say once it seeps into the ceramic it is there for good. I have a hard time thinking that lighter fluid wouldn't eventually burn off, even if it seeped into the ceramic, but I really don't know. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? Should I buy it or is it forever going to leave a taste of lighter fluid in everything that is cooked on in?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm waiting anxiously. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. No need for lighter fluid. Use starter blocks, torch or whatever. Never lighter fluid. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You can always buy it and if it doesn't clean itself you could try to sell it for more than you paid. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don't know anyone first hand that has used lighter fluid on a continual basis. Maybe a couple of clean burns would take care of it. Or do like what @Chubbs suggested 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would request the seller to allow you to cook something simple on it, a couple of chicken breasts no seasoning if it's set up in working order. One hour with it you should have an idea of its in usable condition and pick it up the next day 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Then again I live in a place I'd feel comfortable asking some one that.....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would offer a lower price seeing as how there is some doubt whether the lighter fluid taste will clear or not. You could show him the sites which mention that the BGE may be screwed up for a long time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    For what it is worth, I bought a used LBGE.  The owners said they didn't like how it cooked.  I saw a bag of charcoal and some lighter fluid and asked if that's what was used.  Of course it was.  
    I was apprehensive at first but bought it anyway.  I did one clean burn and I haven't had any lighter fluid taste or smell at all.  

The previous owners said that they used the Egg less than ten times so I don't know how many times an Egg would need to be used to retain that smell or taste but I didn't have it.  

good luck! 
    m
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @grei glad to see you joined here :-)
    buy it and with a burn clean you'll be fine. Several OGers on here too 
    Boom
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @grei glad to see you joined here :-)
    buy it and with a burn clean you'll be fine. Several OGers on here too 
    I gotta ask what is an OGer?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    original gangster or in this case original green egger
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    tonyled said:
    Not even close ha 

we wild each it lol that meets their naked 
    Boom
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If $350 is something you're willing to risk and won't put you in a financial fix, then take a chance.  If the risk is too great to comfortably manage, then pass.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Offer $100 because it is ruined by the fluid and worthless. Then take it home and enjoy the nostalgic taste of when you were a kid. Mmmmmm -Memories. 
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    tonyled said:
    Not even close ha 

I still don't know what the **** you're talking about. Maybe I'm too old....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but what size is the egg?  Price will depend on size too.

XL for 350 jump on it.

Mini for 350 pass
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Putting lighter fluid in an egg is like putting diesel fuel in a Porsche. Egg ownership should require an application process. That is abuse.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Putting lighter fluid in an egg is like putting diesel fuel in a Porsche. Egg ownership should require an application process. That is abuse.
    What if it is the Cayenne or Macan diesel though?!?!?
    Boom
  • grei
    grei Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but what size is the egg?  Price will depend on size too.

XL for 350 jump on it.

Mini for 350 pass
    It's an XL, I've seen a few for $500 on craigslist but never one at this price.  Seems almost to good to be true.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Jesus, for an XL if you give it a once over and it doesn't have any major cracks or anything that's a steal, you can burn anything off of it for that price, especially if it comes with a nest. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Wow.  Personally I would jump on that.  Does it have a nest?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grei
    Options
    tonyled said:
    Not even close ha 

Haha, VU man!
  • grei
    Options
    Wow.  Personally I would jump on that.  Does it have a nest?
    Yes.  Didn't see any cracks and it didn't seem to smell like lighter fluid.  The thing is I was going to take it to my dad, about 4 hours away.  So by the time I buy it, load it up, and deliver it it ends up being more than $350.  I'm sort of considering that in the price as well.  
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Run, don't walk. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Now that I see it is a XL I would be tempted. You can always offer 300 to talk him down some and then smile pulling out the driveway. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Why haven't you bought this yet?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    There are some chemists on this forum.  Does lighter fluid even leave any residue?  Maybe even if its not burned?  It wouldn't surprise me that its 100% volatile, and leaves no residue (factoid:  Myron Mixon uses lighter fluid).  I don't know, just asking.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Botch said:
    (factoid:  Myron Mixon uses lighter fluid).  I don't know, just asking.  
    And not just a little bit. He uses a lot of it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's