Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse and shrimp sliders (for the Throw-down)

Options

Fresh Ground Porterhouse and Eastern NC Shrimp Sliders

Thought I would post my cook on the forum as well as in the Throw Down section.  Not sure if everyone will look to the Official page to see cooks or not.  So here is the cook below.  These are all cell phone pictures, so don't bash the images to much.  :)

After finding out one of my main ingredients was spoiled (it was still at the meat market), I had to switch to Plan B.  I didn't have one, but made one.  

Picked up a nice Porterhouse to grind into ground beef for sliders.  Just a simple coarse grind.  Salt and pepper only and cooked on the CI griddle.  Finished with some white American cheese.  

Picked up two pounds of Eastern NC shrimp to be made into shrimp sliders.  Used about 1 1/4lb of shrimp (pulsed about 3/4 in the food processor and coarse chopped the rest). Added two eggs, 1 cup of panko, zest of one lemon, half lemon juice, 2 tsp. Old Bay, salt, pepper, couple dashes of Texas Pete, fresh parsley, and two green onions.  Cooked them in some butter on the CI griddle too.  

Toasted buns on the griddle at the end.  

Made a tartar sauce-esk mayo for the shrimp (consisted of Dukes mayo, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, onion, sweet relish).  For the burger, I made a chipotle mayo (Dukes mayo, chipotle, horseradish, dash of Worcestershire).  

Made a mango salsa for the shrimp burgers (mango, red onion, pepper, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, honey, lemon juice, cilantro).  

Porterhouse burgers just added lettuce, tomato, and red onion (along with mayo).  

Shrimp slider just the had mayo and mango salsa.  

Made a macaroni salad for the side.  

Sooo... I couldn't fit all my ingredients within one picture and plus I did things in stages, so that was difficult.  Plus I had to run to the store because I forgot a few items.  Couple that with running around with an 11 month old.  

Pictures

The porterhouse cut from the bone to get ready for the grind.

Grinding the steak 

The shrimp getting their turn... Coarse chop a small amount to add substance to the patty and just a few pulses in the food processor and it was done.  

The shrimp sliders are coming together with a lot of nice goodies! 

The lineup.. The bacon is missing, but was in the Egg already

These burgers went fast... Cooked about 500°.  Cooked most to about medium (I am not a fan of rare burgers (even home ground ones)).  

Shrimp sliders... 

Plated... 

My observations: 

1 - These burgers were the best I have ever eaten before.  

2 - Never had a shrimp patty before, but these were awesome.  The tarter-esk sauce I made really gave a great flavor too, along with the mango salsa.  Holistically, they were pretty good.  

3 - I could have done without the pasta salad and ate more sliders.  

4 - I love beef more and more each day.  

It was a great cook and one that I will use from time to time.  

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments