Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado test brisket

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
I feel like I've been in a bit of a brisket slump lately so I wanted see if I could dial one in before I go to Salado in a few weeks. I went back through a lot of notes that Cazzy and I have shared over the past year or so, I reread a few of the articles I've gleaned hints from over the years, drank a bunch of Titos (this is critical to a successful cook) and lit the egg. 

Well, whatever I did worked. This is probably the 2nd best I've ever made and probably the best non-Wagyu ive ever made. It was a 12lb prime packer from Costco. Rub was course black pepper, salt, granulated garlic. I did use a binder of a little mustard cut with pickle juice. I don't normally use a binder but probably will from now on. TFJ even noticed the bark was "different" (better). I don't know if it was the binder but the bark was perfect from the thinnest part of the flat to the thickest part of the point. I've had a lot of waste on my Briskets lately but every bite in this one was perfect. Might be the first time I've pulled that off without wrapping. 

I cooked at 235 with the cyberQ and I'll do that from now on as well. Seemed to be the perfect temp to get it done with no charred spots in the crust. 

It was probably 10.5 lbs after trimming and it cooked in exactly 12 hrs. It had rendered out at 195 and maybe could have been pulled at 190. In between my normal choice cooks (200) and the SRF (185). It was super jiggly like the SRF and the flat was much more tender and moist than most choice I've cooked. 

I used B&B oak lump for the first time in probably 10 years. Last time I used it, it was very difficult to light and super sparky. I don't know if they have made a change but I really liked it. Reminded me a lot of Ozark Oak. Had some sweet smokiness to it but the smoke was clean and added to the cook (I think OO is that way too). Anyhow, it ran 14 hours at 235 and is currently in its 5th hour of a clean burn at 600. Looks like it's just starting to taper down. It was $11.50 for a 20lb bag and I can get it at any grocery store in austin so I'm pretty happy- with this one bag anyway. I have another that ill pay a little more attn to as inside it. So far, so good. 

Thats about all I have to say about that. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  Most eggcellent right there.  Gonna be tough to top that at Salado, especially with the external influences...but a great challenge to undertake!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks fantastic! :peace: :clap: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks perfect. Tell me more about the mustard/pickle juice binder? Did you use the pickle juice to thin the mustard before applying?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  Most eggcellent right there.  Gonna be tough to top that at Salado, especially with the external influences...but a great challenge to undertake!
    I'm doing them at home and taking in a cooler for the pre party. We are just cooking little bites of different stuff for the fest. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    A++++++++
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    That is brisket perfection right there. The bark is unreal (and perfect uniformity). 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    That looks real good....Waiting for the one in Salado...Those will be my fingers going for the burnt pieces.  Didn't get a chance to call you on Saturday.  Try later to get some of the Applewood pellets.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You go gerrl
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I thought Tito's was pickling juice.... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That looks real good....Waiting for the one in Salado...Those will be my fingers going for the burnt pieces.  Didn't get a chance to call you on Saturday.  Try later to get some of the Applewood pellets.
    I'm around today and all week. I'll meet you halfway. 

The burnt ends were awesome. I remeber from last year- you have fast fingers! 
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Nicely done!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Amazing - looking forward to meeting you and your brisket in Salado!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Amazing - looking forward to meeting you and your brisket in Salado!
    If you are in to drinking too much, eating too much, telling all kinds of lies and laughing until your sides hurt, then you will love Salado. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Very Nice. I don't see any resemblance of a slump here at all.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Upon further review, that is about the best formed brisket I have seen-no real taper to the flat so a much better chance of getting it right.  Dang-you may want to buy a lottery ticket!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
     :bow: 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Woo hoo!!  That looks absolutely amazing!!  So glad y'all will be in Salado!!  We have something to give you there.

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    nice... @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Isnt the pickle juice and mustard how John Lewis does it.... I read about that but have yet to try it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yogi84 said:
    nice... @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Isnt the pickle juice and mustard how John Lewis does it.... I read about that but have yet to try it
    It is. Cazzy spent a day with him last year and he was very generous with his time and with sharing his experience. It's out there in a few articles as well but Caz got to see it and hear it live. He always says to come down and ask him anything. He's not kidding. Caz cooked side by side with him for like 8 hours. He was live texting me the whole time. It was pretty cool. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Woo hoo!!  That looks absolutely amazing!!  So glad y'all will be in Salado!!  We have something to give you there.

Can't wait to see what it's. We are really looking forward to seeing everyone. I'm glad we get to spend the weekend this time instead of coming in after a week of 3 am benders at SXSW. Now I can just get my bender on in Salado. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I've picked up B&B at HEB several times, I've avoided the mesquite but the oak is fine - I think they have a hickory as well that I've used.  The Central Market lump is good too, just a little spendy.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Fantastic brisket btw.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks spectacular, I'll be right over.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've picked up B&B at HEB several times, I've avoided the mesquite but the oak is fine - I think they have a hickory as well that I've used.  The Central Market lump is good too, just a little spendy.
    I've used the CM mesquite a ton. Mesquite tends to be really ashy so I don't use it much. It is my favorite of the mesquite lumps out there. Rockwood is by far my favorite but I have to order it so it's good to have a few local spots I can get what I want. I can get OO here in my hood but it's pricey. This is similar and almost half the price. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not worthy sir :bow: :bow: :bow: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Perfect!  I found that 235℉ using the Stoker seemed to be a sweet spot on brisky too. Seems to deliver consistent results. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes,  please do get it right.... I didn't get any of it last year =)  I have fond memories of the 2013 Salado Brisket.  It was perfect. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.