Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aging Begins

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
15.5lbs of angus ribeye from RD. Should be good to go for Masters Sunday 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice!  You might want to add a drip pan and some paper towels underneath the meat the first few days since it will leak.  Nevermind, looks like you are wet aging it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice!  I'm expecting my first shipment of UMAi bags this week.  I've been quizzing @RRP a bit since he moderates their forum over there.  I have to say I was impressed with their customer service as I made two back-to-back orders and they automatically refunded the shipping charges in the second so it could be combined with the first--without me asking.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    My first time dry aging beef. Mr. Ron turned me on to the bags also. Looking forward to a successful process. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DoubleEgger are you keeping it in the bag. To dry age it should be open to the air. Or is that a dry age bag.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @DoubleEgger are you keeping it in the bag. To dry age it should be open to the air. 
    No - it's a UMAi Dry bag that breathes - it is not a typical plastic bag. I have aged meat for 60 days in them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks good, here's mine 16 days in. No bags here.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    I'm very interested in dry aging beef. Has anyone used this before and been successful?
  • mahenryak
    Options
    No experience, here, other than hanging wild game.  Really makes a difference with deer, elk, etc.  Opinions vary.  I chose to go with UMAi bags.  They are due to be delivered tomorrow.  Here's their website of which I have no affiliation (hopefully, okay to post).  @RRP is volunteer moderator of the forum.  http://www.drybagsteak.com/

• mahenryak
    Options
    @TarHeelBBQ (forgot to 'notify' you in above post)

• TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    I have a whole prime rib (prime grade) frozen. Would it be possible to thaw and age?
  • RRP
    Options
    I have a whole prime rib (prime grade) frozen. Would it be possible to thaw and age?
    How large is it? When you dry age whether it be commando style or using UMAi Drybag there will be trimming loss. That's the "price" you pay rather than to eat un-aged beef. The smaller the piece then the less it makes sense.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    How large is it? When you dry age whether it be commando style or using UMAi Drybag there will be trimming loss. That's the "price" you pay rather than to eat un-aged beef. The smaller the piece then the less it makes sense.
    That was my logic. If I'm committing a month to this, I want to have enough to eat for a while. I'll freeze some of it since there's only two of us. 
  • RRP
    Options
    @DoubleEgger
    That was my logic. If I'm committing a month to this, I want to have enough to eat for a while. I'll freeze some of it since there's only two of us

Only a month? Personally it's 45 days or don't even bother! 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I have used these bags and they work great, especially if you want to use your household fridge.  I don't think I would go beyond the 45 days myself because of the certain flavor that starts to form.  The next one I do I am going to go 40 days and see what kind of tenderness I get and compare the flavor between the 40 day and 45 day.  I would like to find the balance of tenderness and flavor that we like in our house.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    @DoubleEgger
    That was my logic. If I'm committing a month to this, I want to have enough to eat for a while. I'll freeze some of it since there's only two of us

Only a month? Personally it's 45 days or don't even bother! 
    I was shooting for Masters Sunday at 42 days. 
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    I have about an 18 lb whole loin that is currently frozen. My thought is to thaw it and age it. My question would be since the beef has been frozen would it still age properly?
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    DoubleEgger your icon is the best.  Wooooooooo!!!!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I do not think I ever ate dry aged meat.  Well I did once at a Gordon Ramsay's place in London. I do not know if I loved it because it was aged, or because it was cooked perfect; and everything else with the meal was perfect with that meal. Because of that, I have to remove that one experience because it is well outside of the bell curve of "normal" meals. But I want to try it. Is it like day and night compared to regular beef? I almost always get 1.25" or thicker bone in C.A.B. ribeyes, and that is what I am used to. Are the flavors that different?  @RRP says that he goes 45 days min, yet @bigalsworth mentions "certain flavor starts to form". 
    I am usually a "all-in" or nothing at all type of person, but I do not want to go "all-in" when I may not like the result if there is a funky flavor that I may not like. I know it is personal preference, so I have a few questions: what is a good "long enough" time to notice a difference, but not crazy long to develop intense flavors that I may not like? Is there one? Does it make sense to go 20 days? Will I even notice a difference at 20? Are there large differences between 20, 30, 40 and 45 days?

I am willing to devote the time I needed to to this, but (I think????) this is one of those times I should start off "slow", and gradually age meat longer until I find what I like. At least this is the way I think I am going to proceed. Thoughts on my questions and plan?

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Aged beef has an earthy or nutty smell to it before being trimmed. The actual meat itself smells like beef!!! You can not dry age single steaks - you need to dry age a full sub-primal. Depending on the sub-primal you select they can range for 10 to 18 pounds. My suggestion to you is to shop around and find some butcher shop that sells aged beef and try a steak or two to see if you like the rich, concentrated beef taste of aged beef. Or go to a good steakhouse where they serve dry aged beef and try it there.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @RRP are the bags vac sealed/sealed with a food saver? I am currently looking into food savers but the wife has outlawed anymore cooking tools/appliances until we move in June. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • RRP
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @RRP are the bags vac sealed/sealed with a food saver? I am currently looking into food savers but the wife has outlawed anymore cooking tools/appliances until we move in June. 
    Ideally, yes, but a straw, a bread twisty and a set of good lungs can also get the job done!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My 21 pound bone in comes out of the bag this Friday at 45 days.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    @RRP, If you don't have a food saver and was looking to buy one, would it be better to get the umani system for everyday sealing also or just get a good saver and compatible bags?

Thanks
  • RRP
    Options
    I would stick with a Food Saver brand. OTOH you want a “lid and latch” manual type, or you will be  mightily frustrated trying to seal the UMAi Drybag. They sell a package deal with a 2400 series FS. That unit can be used with any FS brand bags or rolls as well as the knock off bag material sellers. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I have a vertical food saver and sealing the bag was a challenge so I can vouch for that. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Any finish pics of a large primal aged and then steaked out?  @DMW how long are you aging that cut?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Not yet. I have a lot of time left....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    How long are you going on this one?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014