Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

February 2015 Throw Down Regulations

Options

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL & @Ozzie_Isaac ... Geez, talk about the Abbot and Costello show.  One reads the instructions and forgets how many pictures are allowed, the other reads the instructions and forgets which pictures, and with what, are required.  Makes me wonder what else, besides hardwood, Jonathan is putting into Rockwood lump.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @tz666  No one can ask you "Where's the beef"?  Those are some huge ribeyes.  Eggcellent meal.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @tz666 collage pic with 3 in it was  genius. :tongue: 
    Solid looking cook!  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Gonna put collage in my toolbox for next time :tongue: 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It's go time! Wish me luck. Fire in the hole!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @McStew and all others from here on out, only one vote please.  If you voted more than once please un "like" the one(s) your are not voting for.
  • jcaspary
    Options
    I hope there are more entries.   You might want to hold on to your votes until everyone is in. 
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    I hope there are more entries.   You might want to hold on to your votes until everyone is in. 
    Last throw down people could not remember who they voted for and when they wanted to vote differently at the end, they had a hard time finding their original vote, so yes, I know it is tempting but I would hold off on voting until at least monday but be sure to get it in before 11:59 p.m. EST Monday, 2 March 2015!!
  • jcaspary
    Options
    BTW @GalanteNate_OneEa thanks for putting this all together. 
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I loves me some carbonara, may have to cook some after all the leftovers are gone.

• grege345
    Options
    Well it's in. Lotta fun. Enjoyed some quality time in the kitchen and getting this prepared with the wife. Wanted to do something different. PluS it's snowing here so some comfort food was in order. Thanks for putting this together. Food was a 10! 

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options

Been a crazy couple of weeks… the flu ran through my entire house, so it was rough for a bit there with the little ones. The boys are back to full health now and everything has found equilibrium again. Can finally get back to egging. I figured what better way than to jump right in to the deep end, so when I saw “throwdown”, I was sold! I know I’ll get blown out of the water with the competition out there, but it was a fun cook, and a great way to get back doing what I love. Just wrapped up the cook – pics coming up soon. 

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bweekes
    Options
    Almost forgot to thank the host. @GalanteNate_OneEa - thanks for organizing this. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • grege345
    Options
    @bweekes that is a serious dish you put together. Just awesome

• bweekes
    Options
    @grege345 - I was contemplating not posting again after I saw yours go up! LOL. phenomenal job!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Both of those cooks look amazing. Nicely done by both of you.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jcaspary
    Options
    @bweekes Nice looking meal.   I'm a little jelly...if its not fish the rest of the family won't even look at it.  Unless I get it at a restaurant which is rare the I don't see shrimp, scallops, calamari, or anything like that.  Way to go. 
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bweekes
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    @bweekes Nice looking meal.   I'm a little jelly...if its not fish the rest of the family won't even look at it.  Unless I get it at a restaurant which is rare the I don't see shrimp, scallops, calamari, or anything like that.  Way to go. 
    @jcaspary - thanks! Fortunately SWMBO is a big seafood fan, so I've had plenty of opportunity to hone my skills on all things from the ocean. Haven't done a lot of oysters though - that's one thing I got to work on. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Im grateful for two things:

A) That Im not competing in this one cause the entries, every single one of them, ARE AWESOME!

B) That you all fell for it.  I am making a Surf & Turf cookbook. I'll give the winner a break on the price, say 3% off. Thanks!

And thanks for the props! Can't wait to see the next one!
  • bweekes
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    @jcaspary - those t-bones caveman style look great. I wouldn't have the guts/confidence to go caveman for a throwdown, but you knocked it out of the park. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @GalanteNate_OneEa Be sure to advertise your book on here with a FREE T-shirt. :rofl: 
    Totally joking buddy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jcaspary
    Options
    @bweekes It's not guts/confidence.  It's stupidity and a lot of luck!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bweekes
    Options
    Man, you're too humble. I think it was @hapster that explained the science behind it on this forum? Coals need to be well distributed, even fire, close surpervision, etc, etc. Not luck at all - skill!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    If all goes according to plan I'm gonna slip in a last minute entry tomorrow, been out of town this weekend.   I must say this is gonna be a tough one to vote on, yall's entries are over the top!   I wish we could taste test these cooks they all look outstanding.  Great job guys and great subject @GalanteNate_OneEa this throw down did not disappoint!!!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Phewwww.... Dang I am tired.  This challenge whooped me up something bad.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • grege345
    Options
    Well I'd really hate to see plan A lol. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Well I'd really hate to see plan A lol. 
    Hahahah, thanks @grege345 !  I must say though, I really liked your spread man.  Great looking grub!  

When I first started posting, I thought for a min that we were doing the same thing.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I always feel my cooks are good, then I see other posts and I feel like I served cafateria food!

btw, @tarheelmatt your cellphone pics are off the chart!  Better than my DSLR.  I have some serious practicing to do on my documentation.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You boys are killing it!  Wish I could have gotten in, but life was in the way this weekend. Gonna be tough to vote!
  • grege345
    Options
    You and me both @Ozzie_Isaac