Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official February 2015 Throw Down Entry

Options
Please post entries to this post only, all other comments and questions to be posted on the other thread.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177579/february-2015-throw-down-regulations#latest

Good Luck

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess I'll go first. Edit: pics are backwards. sorry.  This new format sucks.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Here you go ladies and gentleman.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Ok, let the chuckles begin :)  So I failed to read the directions until to late.  I did not take a picture of the ingredients before the cook.  I only have one prep picture.  It will have to do.  I also did not realize it was cellphone pics, but luckily I did take a few with the cellphone.

1.  Ingredients:  Surf&Turf - Pork loin, filleted it and stuffed it with a spinach, goat cheese, sliced almonds, and crab meat stuffing.  Also added pimentos for a little bit of color.  Since it was snowing I figured I would steam some snow crab clusters on the egg too.  Seemed fitting.

Cooked sweet potatoes and bacon wrapped asparagus bunches (saw those on here yesterday and had to try them!) for the sides.

If you look close you will see a chocolate covered strawberry on the edge of the plate, compliments of SWMBO :)

This was another fun cook.  Thanks for the idea

I have two pics of the cook, one just after I pulled it all, and one as I added the pork loin:

Ingredient pic (sorry already turned into stuffing and applied to the filleted and pounded loin.  I like the ingredient pictures and will add those next time for sure!

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Bump
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Entrant: Henderson The Rain King, of The 302, The Home of Tax Free Shopping. 

Throw Down Category:  Appetizer.

Name: Clam & Ham Dip. 

Ingredients:  Minced and chopped clams; clam juice; Savoie Tasso Ham; crushed Ritz crackers; butter, sautéed vidalia onion; shredded Parmesan cheese; grated aged sharp provolone: garlic; parsley; red pepper flakes.

Process: Classified.

Rationale:  you get your surf and you get your turf all in one bite. 2 scavengers combined to transcend their trayf origins. Kosher?  Not so much. But oh so good.

Expectation of Medaling: zero. Competition is too stiff. Appetizer is too simple. 

Satisfaction in participating: 100%.

Confidence this will post: 20%. 

n in Participating:  100%. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    The bobs.  I made the Smoked sea salt and butter and duck fat for the spuds..Beef Shrimp and veggies . Last minute cook. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    bump
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    ok guys, I'm in.  I am submitting Shrimp and Cheese Grits with Country Ham cooked in cast iron dutch oven on the large. I've never tried this dish on the egg before but it was actually very easy.

Here's the rundown.  

Diced country ham, browned in the DO, followed by fresh shrimp seasoned with blackened seasoning cooked in the country ham drippings.  

Next, diced onions and garlic are cooked down in the drippings along with a pad of butter.  Add milk and water, bring to a boil and then add grits.  Once the grits are done, throw in a couple cups of shredded cheddar and stir it all together.  

Grits go on the plate topped with shredded cheddar, then shrimp, country ham and green onion.  

This is one of those meals that warm you all over......and then swell up in your belly and make you want to do nothing but sleep!  I'll definitely be doing this one on the egg again.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bump (vote)
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    bump this to page one 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Voted, dear lord what a bunch of great looking cooks. Wish I had the talent that you gentleman do. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    They Are Amazing!!

Vote one time only please by clicking on the "Like" button that corresponds to the entry of your choosing.

Thanks -Nate
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    They Are Amazing!!

Vote one time only please by clicking on the "Like" button that corresponds to the entry of your choosing.

Thanks -Nate
    Bump 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Voted. Nice job everybody
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Please post entries to this post only, all other comments and questions to be posted on the other thread.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177579/february-2015-throw-down-regulations#latest

Good Luck
    VOTE!!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    They Are Amazing!!

Thanks -Nate
    VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

Come and support your fellow Eggheads by voting for the winner of the February 2015 Surf and Turf Throw Down

All you gotta do is "Like" an entry!!

Voting ends at 11:59 a.m. EST TODAY
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    LAST CALL!!!!!!!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Sorry couldn't enter on vacation in Costa Rica eating surf and turf. But by the look of all the entry's I would have got my ass kick good. Everyone did a fantastic job and congratulations to the winner @ NPHuskerFL.