Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

royal oak

g37
g37 Posts: 450
I'm gonna give it a try for the first time. 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    What have you been using?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • g37
    I'm limited  to lump. So far I've tried wicked, lazarri, Rockwood and BGE. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    g37 said:
    That isn't limited my friend.  Where I am is limited.  Cowboy and RO is it!  

So far my favorites are Fogo and Rockwood.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    I switched from BGE to Rockwood. Did you dislike the others or are you just wanting to give them a try before you make your mind up? 

• g37
    edited March 2015
    I really  liked Rockwood but unfortunately  I cant get it anymore. Curiosity  finally  got the best of me. Royal oak seems to be unlike by many.  So i figure I give it a try.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    RO is my regular. I have no complaints. I tried rockwood, was disappointed in the size distribution in the two bags I had. Probably a shipping / handling issue, but it is what it is.  I think Home Depot gets whole pallets of RO on their own trucks, so less transit damage. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited March 2015
    @g37 Big Green Egg lump is bagged under Royal Oak.  Same exact lump different bag.  If you can get Royal Oak go with it.  You are paying extra so the bag can say Big Green Egg instead of Royal Oak.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Unless you live in CA you should be able to order Rockwood from Firecraft.com. 

I like Rockwood because of the lack of VOC's. I don't like having to wait until they clear before I cook, 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just finished my second bag of rockwood, found my third big rock. in the 20 pounds i burned, i have a large softball size amount of rock. Looks like concrete. 

That said, its my favorite for low n slow. Royal oak is good for higher heat grilling, the VOCs are of little concern at high temps. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• g37
    Firecraft wants to charge me near 100$$ for shipping 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • johnkitchens
    Where are you located?

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    I been using BGE that is what everybody here sells. Now working on some Wicked weekend warrior, very little ash.  I like wicked but nobody has it around here. Ordered Rockwood and Ozark oak from firecraft.com it came today. So now I have 3 different lumps to try now. I also have a bag of Wicked jakes blend that has not been opened yet. But if you order $100 from fire craft.com free shipping. So I figure if Rockwood and Ozark Oak are as good as the whiz and you guys say they are. Just order $100 at a time. No more looking for others then. I hate buying online, like to buy local but limited to selection. Unless anybody knows something around Rockledge Fl area.  
  • g37
    edited March 2015
    Sorry 100$$ is just the shipping not including  the lump
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    I live on oahu so everything  shipped here is expensive. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @mtbguy check with your local ACE and see if they can order Rockwood   If they're service out of GA warehouse they can order any quantity. 
  • g37
    Ok first cook not bad.  Lights fast and gets hot fast. Now time 4 the taste test.  me for the taste test. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    The one ace wanted to sell me cowboy. Have to check the other ones out. Im good for a bit 60lbs to cook up.  
  • johnkitchens
    I guess living in paradise has its drawbacks after all.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    g37 said:
    I live on oahu so everything  shipped here is expensive. 
    Try living in the GWN..... I always have a bag or two of RO around, when it goes on sale it quite reasonable. VOC's take awhile to clear, but then the pre dinner happy hour is truly a happy hour!

Excerpt from:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canadians-pay-more-than-americans-for-canadian-made-vehicles-1.1141083
    "Based on the manufacturer's suggested retail prices, the two-wheel drive Toyota Rav4 would cost $22,650 in Honolulu, with an additional charge for freight and pre-delivery inspection (PDI) of $810.

A resident in Woodstock, Ont., however, would pay $24,865, plus a freight and PDI charge of $1,465, for the same model, despite the Rav4 being manufactured in Woodstock."

The above was written when $US=$CDN.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • g37
    Conclusion. Food taste great. Hey for 15$$ its pretty good.  No complaints  here I would  definitely  buy it again. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    @Skiddymarker thanks  never knew it was that bad. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I honestly don't know or even understand why the knocking of Royal Oak got started. The idea that it is smokey doesn't make any sense! I mean let it get started and the smoke turns from white to no smoke! And then what do most of us do?...add bunches of wood chips or huge chunks of wood to get a heavy wood smoke going! What am I missing in this hatred of Royal Oak?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • g37
    @RRP yes I stayed away  from it because early post made it sound no good. After trying  it I'm definitely  using  it again. I like the price. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No hatred here. It's all I ever use. Cheap, readily available (locally), burns long enough for anything I ever cook and food tastes great. Only prob I ever had was a batch I bought from walmart that had way too many small pieces. Otherwise, it's fine. Now that I have an RD card, I'll try theirs. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    mtbguy said:
    I been using BGE that is what everybody here sells. Now working on some Wicked weekend warrior, very little ash.  I like wicked but nobody has it around here. Ordered Rockwood and Ozark oak from firecraft.com it came today. So now I have 3 different lumps to try now. I also have a bag of Wicked jakes blend that has not been opened yet. But if you order $100 from fire craft.com free shipping. So I figure if Rockwood and Ozark Oak are as good as the whiz and you guys say they are. Just order $100 at a time. No more looking for others then. I hate buying online, like to buy local but limited to selection. Unless anybody knows something around Rockledge Fl area.  
    Any Ace Hardware in FL can special order Rockwood for you if they don't carry it in stock.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Royal oak is just ok. That's all it is. The statement that we wait for clean smoke then throw in wood chips is horribly off. I would estimate half my cooks I don't add any wood. Chicken, fish, pizzas etc get the cleaner lumps and no wood added. I buy RO when WalMart runs the 17.6 lb for $8 and then I use it for clean burns. I would never pay the regular price for RO I have gotten FOGO for 80 cents a pound before delivered and if you know anyone or ever travel near Arkansas you can get Ozark Oak for 50 cents a pound.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    g37 said:
    You have at least 2 brands that will blow RO outta the water for neutral smokey taste.  IMO.  But then some people that rave about RO and are used to the smokey flavor but use other brands when cooking something that can't handle the taste of RO.  Let your tastebuds decide for you. For me it will be RW or OO. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I used RO for over a year, with some ozark oak once in awhile.  Recently, I bought some FOGO off of Amazon. Just ordered a second 40 lb bag.  Big chunks, and very little ash.  I got tired of RO because of the lump size and ash.  Give FOGO a try if you're in a lump challenged state like CA.  OO was great, but a bit pricy getting it shipped to CA.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Lit said:
    Royal oak is just ok. That's all it is. The statement that we wait for clean smoke then throw in wood chips is horribly off. 
    Fine then let's agree to disagree! Those huge pieces of lump dumped out of a bag don't impress me longer than for the second that I cuss that they were there! I set those aside and later take a hammer to them! The only time IMHO that anyone gets/selects RO with tiny pieces is when they did not select the bag/s themselves. Crappy product is from rough handling and if you want to be a lump snob and pay much more then that's fine with me! Peace Bro!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Royal Oak has a real heavy smoke flavor when comparing it to Ozark Oak.  It also takes awhile to get clear smoke.  With Ozark Oak lump you can toss on the food once it hits the your target temp.  I also notice you clothes don't smell like a campfire after using Ozark Oak.  Royal Oak isn't bad but I wouldn't call it great. I'd buy it before Cowboy any day.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota