Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Natures Coast Eggfest...tips please?

I had mentioned, in my last thread, that I'm going to do my first Eggfest cooking and also that I'm new to this BGE game. I received a lot of advice for my first time cooking and I appreciate the help.

My decision has been made to do spatchcock chicken with a preserved lemon rub and try to do Margarita cookies while the chicken rests. I'm going to test the timing tomorrow by cooking two chickens.

My thoughts were two chickens every two hours for the three two hour periods cooking required. We have to cook enough to feed two hundred tasters with small samples. I can do the chicken, cut it up after it rests, and have the cookies baking. I would then do the next two chickens and cookies etc.

So does this sound like a decent plan? Am I missing anything? I assume I just cut up the chicken and put them in those small cups as people come up for tasting but I've never been to one so I'm not sure how to serve the chicken. The cookies I'll cut in smaller pieces and put the pieces in the little cups.

The Eggfest is March the 28th and the weather should be in the low 80's, I'll have a big cooler with the chickens already to put on the Egg, and a neighbor is going to help me.

Any tips on serving, my methods, or maybe I should change my menu is appreciated. And if anyone on the forum shows up I'll put extra tequila on your cookie glaze.   :)  Thanks.

Bill

From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Bill is there any way in hell you can make a Fest just to look around? 
    I would suggest you only do one rotation of chicken and one of cookies. Spend the rest of the time seeing and talking with other cooks. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2015
    Oh, DO NOT TAKE YOUR GOOD KNIVES!  No one will try and steal them, stuff gets borrowed and lost at Fests. I know this because all the crooks will be in Salado and I will have not had time to post all the bonds. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Mickey said:
    Oh, DO NOT TAKE YOUR GOOD KNIVES!  No one will try and steal them, stuff gets borrowed and lost at Fests. I know this because all the crooks will be in Salado and I will have not had time to post all the bonds. 
    Au contraire...it's two weeks later than Salado and a whole bunch more miles away.   :)  And they said I was to feed two hundred tasters so I'm not sure how far two chickens will go even in the small cups. And there isn't an Eggfest close by before March the 28th.

Bill
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504

Morning Sameydog:

There is an EggFest in Tampa on 3/14...however totally different type than the Natures Coast one (this is NOT a competition thing...no "minimum" number of servings)...check out The Outdoor Kitchen Store website for registering (www.outdoorkitchenstore.com)...hope to see you there (look for the guy with the tie-dyed shirt and ponytail).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Sameydog
    SSN686 said:

Morning Sameydog:

There is an EggFest in Tampa on 3/14...however totally different type than the Natures Coast one (this is NOT a competition thing...no "minimum" number of servings)...check out The Outdoor Kitchen Store website for registering (www.outdoorkitchenstore.com)...hope to see you there (look for the guy with the tie-dyed shirt and ponytail).

Wow...didn't realize it was that close.

My neighbor and I now have two tickets to attend. I'll look you up when I get there. It's a quick drive down the Parkway for us. 

Looking forward to seeing how all this works. My hair isn't in a ponytail but it's long.  :)

Bill

• Sameydog
    I just checked and found out that that since I'm not doing the competition thing I can do anything I want. That's cool so I'm going for only four chickens and a bunch of cookies.

I'm trying them out tomorrow. Film at eleven.  :)

Bill