Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoWorks - Give it a Rest

Options
Jeez - just when I thought I had all the right stuff, ThermoWorks sent another email showing their new ThermaQ. And I still haven't sprung for the TimeStick Trio. Now I'm really falling behind. I have other options with the same capabilities, but I do love to see the big brown truck come to my house. Food for thought...
Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Oh wow.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks like the kit is $208.  For that kind of money I think I would just go ahead and get a controller. for a little more (or even less if you go with a simple controller). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I was so hoping this was a wireless two-probe thermometer/alarm, to replace my POS Maverick 732.  Alas, it is not.
    However, if I can set the audio alarm to 100 dB, I could leave it next to my Egg and just leave the window open.  Hmmm.
    @SmokeyPitt is right, however, for that many clams I could get a controller and not worry about alarms through the night.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Botch said:
    ... However, if I can set the audio alarm to 100 dB, I could leave it next to my Egg and just leave the window open.  Hmmm. ...
    @Botch ... garage sale baby monitor ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Just checked it out on the website......pretty cool.  Hopefully the next step is a wireless sender unit.  $15 baby monitor from WalMart will work, but I'd rather see the temp rising or falling before I heard the alarm.

As long as it's easier to program than the Mav 733, it should be a hit.  I haven't had any trouble with mine, but it is a PIA to program.  I wish you could skip all the preset meat temps and just set your own.

Either way, still a lot cheaper to go the temp controller route and not even worry about watching it.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    DCS-930L D-Link wi-fi at about $30 will allow you to see the readouts.  Kind of a CyberBubba unit.

Actually it's not that crazy.  I have several cameras that we use when we're on vacation.  I've placed my Maverick in front of one of them when I had to leave the house.  No alarms or temp control, but it allows you to use a smart phone to see if the egg is perking along okay.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Botch said:
    I was so hoping this was a wireless two-probe thermometer/alarm, to replace my POS Maverick 732.  Alas, it is not.

Same.  If it had wireless, I'd pull the trigger right away.  My maverick died on one side after not too many uses and it was protected from the moisture.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

Same.  If it had wireless, I'd pull the trigger right away.  My maverick died on one side after not too many uses and it was protected from the moisture.  
    Is it your sender or receiver that is bad?  I think I have a spare receiver somewhere.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ^^^Thanks for the offer  :)  but it is the sender.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ragtop99 ... call Maverick.  Even though the warranty says 90 days, if your story is good enough, they'll sometimes help you out.  If they don't cover it, then they will most likely be able to sell you a new transmitter for about $20 plus shipping.  Or, watch for a good sale on the 732 or 733 (temp probes are interchangeable) and you'll end up with extra probes.