Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate maintenance

Options
13»

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I typically let it go till someone gets sick. 
    Did not know you worked at our local hospital. 

I'm a B club guy, and it is a grid, the grate never need maintenance as it holds the lump. Stike set me straight on it. I'm still shaking. 
    Damnit Skiddy. You got me. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Well if you are going to get caught at something, this is prolly about as insignificant as you can get - unless the guy doing the catching is Stike. (I still miss his snarl)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    :o I'm about to bust a chubby...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I couldn't hang out with anyone who spent more than 3 seconds cleaning their grates. 

Travis method for cleaning grates:

1. Quickly knock off chunks with grid lifter. 

2. Cook food. 

3. Drink drinks. 
    4. Do the things.
    The things, oh the wonderful things...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have a big laundry room tub next to the patio.  I soak it in some soap and water while the rig is heating up and clean it with a plastic scrubbing pad.  On my gas grill, I just crank up the heat when starting, let it burn off the crud, and hit it with a wire brush.  I think I do this differently, because I generally add wood after the VOC's have burned off, so that I would generally leave the grill off when egg is heating up.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2015
    Options
    B - I usually scrub a little if there was a sweet sauce used for the previous cook or any chunks stuck to the grid. But I don't clean them too much. Patina counts for something!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Always hit it a tad with the brush then use Pam to oil it up a bit.
    Milton, GA.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    15 second Movie clip that sorta sums things up... do NOT click link if offended by the strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOALkT9UeE

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.