Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orange Smoke

Options
Anybody use orange wood for smoke? Herd I am in FL and I haven't tried it yet. Bass Pro has bag of chunks I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on. Thanks!

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    have not but Why not?  I think any fruit wood would be good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Have not.  Use peach, pear and pecan from the in-laws property but no orange.  I'm sure it's good stuff.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried orange but I have tried apple, peach, cherry and they were all good so I would give it a try.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chef Charles
    Options
    When we were returning from a trip in the States we stopped at the Bass Pro store in Harrisburg and I picked up a couple of bags of the orange chunks as I have not seen them here in Canada.  I have used orange chunks for turkey and chicken and imparts a nice mild smoke flavour.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I have, I liked it.  Similar to apple, mild  I usually mix it with Pecan or cherry for a little more flavor.

LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes I have. I didn't buy it though. It was from pruning clippings from our trees. The pieces were smaller chunks and it was nice on the ribs I did that day. I'm thinking it would be pretty good on about anything. It's pretty mild and just adds extra notes to the meat. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    We sell quite a bit of the orange lump charcoal out here. Not raw wood, but the orange lump is very neutral in smoke flavor. Some of the competition cooks like it for smoking poultry with apple wood, thus letting the apple flavor shine thru. As a smoking wood, like mentioned above, all fruit wood tends to be light and sweet. Play around with it and let us know what you think.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Read the title and thought, "Oh boy, I haven't figured out clear smoke or blue smoke and now there's orange?"
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Using some orange and hickory tonight doing a pork roast indirect
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Orange wood has a nice and sweet smoke. Similar to Apple, but still it's own thing. Hard to explain. I think you'll like it.  I've tried it on chicken and turkey legs so far.  Good stuff.  Gives off a pretty cool color to poultry too.  Here's a chicken I did a couple weeks ago.  

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Blam! Pulled the trigger! Thanks, guys, looking forward to trying it this weekend.