Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need to call upon the Wizards of Big Green Egg For a Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe

Anybody out there have recipe for this dish? I want to do it with a Pork Loin roast.
I am humble to your wisdom!
Thanks!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    This is fantastic. I've never made it in the egg, but I don't know why not, though I wouldn't want any smoke.

INGREDIENTS

tablespoons unsalted butter

small onion , minced

medium cloves garlic , minced (about 2 teaspoons)

cups heavy cream

cup whole milk

sprigs fresh thyme

bay leaves

teaspoons table salt

1/2
teaspoon ground black pepper

pounds russet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices

cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)

INSTRUCTIONS

.    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming subsides, about 1 minute. Add onion and sauté until it turns soft and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cream, milk, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and potatoes and bring to simmer. Cover, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain light simmer, and cook until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potato slice with some resistance), about 15 minutes.

2. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Transfer potato mixture to 3-quart gratin dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cream has thickened and is bubbling around sides and top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I will try it on the egg and let you know. Thank you so much

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Good luck......looks like a killer recipe.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    These were really easy, if you're still interested.  The above recipe sounds stellar!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Saw this a while back. Looks wonderful, but I've never tried it. No reason it couldn't be done on the egg. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-hasselback-potato-gratin-the-best-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @tarheelmatt those look on point. I think the  reds are where it's at. No peeling. Recipe please. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @texaswig thanks !  Recipe is pretty simple. 

4-6 red potatoes 
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup milk 
    2 cup cheddar cheese (or whatever you want)
    2 tablespoons Butter
    2 tablespoons  Bacon grease
    salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    3-4 dashes worsheshire sauce 

- Slice potatoes
    -mix worsheshire sauce and soup and milk in a bowl. 
    - Butter and bacon grease a CI skillet
    - lay one layer of potatoes 
    - salt and pepper the layer
    - spread soup mixture on layer
    - Spread cheese on the layer
    - repeat until top of skillet is reached. 

Top layer I added cheese near the end. 

400-425° until knife runs in clean 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    bookmarking this thread for later. those recipes sound good
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 said:
    bookmarking this thread for later. those recipes sound good
    I agree. How do I bookmark?
    Snellville, GA

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited February 2015
    I just use my browser's bookmarks, Chrome in my case
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • That works too. Thanks. 
    Snellville, GA

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    You can also click the "star" next to the topic title in the main forum and it'll bookmark them for you.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Thanks to everyone. I am going to try each one of these recipes. I will do each one chronologically with each roast on the BGE XL, fondly referred to as Gretchen. (My fiancé is getting just a bit more, um, shall we say concerned about her original agreement to marry me. Since Gretchen arrived, I have forgot about a couple of minor things, like my fiancé's birthday or something like that. 
    Anyway, Jlsm, I have only two words for that recipe you provided: That was better than anything I have ever cooked using potatoes in my entire life, and better than anything ever cooked with potatoes for me by anyone, anywhere, so help me Goodness!
    yeah that was more than two, but wow. I adjusted the formula just a wee bit, I used 4 cups of heavy cream, 2.5 cups of cheese, I used gruyere and asiago, a bit more onion and 
     a bit more garlic. 
    Awesome.
    You guys are my heroes.
    P.S., A hearty cab, or a southern  Rhone red blend sings with this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky