Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I suck, but finally started a fire

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,618
It's been weeks since I fired up the egg.  Been very busy with work, travel, other obligations and it just hasn't worked out.  Stupid, right?

I brined a chicken today, really looking forward to egging it.  My wife came home and really wanted to go to the nearby brewpub for happy hour dinner - it sounded nice, so I obliged.

So, at 9 tonight, I lit the friggin egg, stabilized at 400 and spatched my chicken.  Brine was salt, honey, black pepper, juice from 1/2 lemon and 2 blood oranges quarterd and squeezed.

Dizzy dust on the underside, baking powder and raging river topside.  Raised direct about 4" above the felt, 400 degrees.  Skin down for 15 min then flip and skin up the rest of the way.

Looking forward to carving this up for salad or quesadilla or something else.

Comments

• Legume
    Options
    Nice, everything out of order.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Might be out of order but still looks fantastic!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would have probably just eaten it as a late night snack (I lack patience :) )

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nothing better than spatchedcocked 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Options
    In the clear light of morning, I can't figure out why the pics look so burned, the chicken is def not, just lots of good color.  Oh well.

@caliking I did have to pick a taste or two off as I separated the wings and legs to store, it's quality assurance.

I usually cook these indirect but I like raised direct better I think.