Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting Board

Options
Are there any recommendations on what type of cutting board I should buy? I am sure some boards are more prone to bacteria so wanted to get some advice from this group. Is plastic or wood better? If wood, what type and style? I am sure some boards are more prone to bacteria so wanted to get some advice from this group.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wood. Maple, cherry, and walnut are the most popular. End grain is best for maintaining the knife edge. Granted, plastic can be put in the dishwasher but all the grooves you cut into can harbor bacteria. I would sanitize along with washing. Wood has natural properties to prevent this. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I recently bought a John Boos cutting board. After doing a bunchy of research they were consistently mentioned. Got black walnut. love the look and weight of it. 
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    end grain maple is my best board. you need to constantly disinfect plastic and when knife cuts start showing up, toss the plastic
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JustGrillinFlorida
    Options
    I use John Boos Black Walnut cutting boards around 3" end grain. They can be pricey, but worth every penny if you have food safety and knife edges in mind. 

Tampa Bay’s Premier Outdoor Living Company

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I use John Boos Black Walnut cutting boards around 3" end grain. They can be pricey, but worth every penny if you have food safety and knife edges in mind. 
    A restuarant place in Charleston, SC is an authorized dealer and they sell them MUCH cheaper than I could find online anywhere and will ship. Might help OP out if he decides to get one. 
    Boom
  • Blassiter
    Options
    FanOfFanboys, do you have more information about the place in Charleston?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bamboo boards are cheap and durable.  I have a few of them.  Stock up on cutting boards and tongs if you do a lot of cooking.
    Options
    Interesting that you posted this, I was just looking at catting boards on line.  I have two large wooden cutting boards at home, but was thinking of getting another one made of plastic.  I found this website that you get a cutting board for each kind of food you are preparing so as not to cross contaminate.  The only thing I didn't like about them, they didn't have a grove cut in them to catch the run off.  I would think that could be added.  Here is the website; http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/  Also check Amazon.

Mine at home about 18x24.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    FanOfFanboys, do you have more information about the place in Charleston?
    BERLIN RESTAURANT SUPPLY
    5051 RIVERS AVENUE
    NORTH CHARLESTON ,SC . 29406
    (843) 744-4499

@Blassiter Just give them a call. For example the one I bought was $180 and they sold to me for $120. The woman I spoke to was incredibly friendly and great to work with. They shipped direct to my house. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

bamboo boards are cheap and durable.  I have a few of them.  Stock up on cutting boards and tongs if you do a lot of cooking.
    I have a bamboo one too but I heard they are bad on knives. Very hard. 

Def agree to stock up on them though. I have three and few times a year I wish I had a couple more. 
    Boom
  • clintmiller
    Options
    We just bought a good board few months back. I did a lot of research, and http://theboardsmith.com/ seemed to get really high reviews. We ended up buying an end grain maple/walnut board from there. Not cheap, and it took a month or so to ship (bought right after Christmas). But we're really, really pleased with the quality of the board we got. I'd highly recommend the boardsmith.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

End grain is expensive but will last the longest and is best in my opinion. With the prices I see posted here I should start selling them.

This is a really crappy picture and it needs to be oiled but I made this board over 5 years ago. It gets moderate use. A little on the thin side, about 1.5 inches thick.

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    we have cutting boards made from lignum vitae, iron wood. Ours came from Jamaica. That is some dense and hard wood, it doesnt even float.

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I also have a 4'x8'x3/4" thk. sheet of HDPE for butchering large game.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beautiful work, @Hungry Joe!  

Cook's Illustrated just did a carving board shootout, and one made by J.K. Adams won again (it won 7 years ago too, and why I own one).
    Note that that's a carving board, not a cutting board; a carving board has a way to catch the juices flowing out of your cheekun, brisket, or butt as its being carved/pulled.  The moats are useful there but get in the way when you're, say, chopping vegetables.  
    I have a beautiful acacia wood end grain board, but it has dished out (warped) over the years, need to have it flattened with an industrial belt sander.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like end grain hardwood. If budget is a concern, you might check Home Goods / Marshall's. They always have a selection. Usually crap, but once in a while I see a nice one. I found mine there probably 8-10 years ago and it's still like new. It lives on my countertop right next to the sink.

2" thick endgrain. About 14"x18". Reversible. Not sure what kind of wood. Looks similar to walnut, but it isn't. Maybe $50? Can't recall, but it was cheap. 

Sorry, not at home right now, here's the only pic I can find. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. This questions received more attention than I anticipated.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA