Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Now a Member of "That" Group

Options
It's a sad day but my egg cracked. I was doing some pizzas for my mom before she left on a 3 week vacation and I saw a light glowing from below the lower vent. Sure enough, the crack goes from the vent opening to the underside of my egg. I got my paperwork together with some photos and sent in a warranty claim Monday. With the crack in the lower half, I'm not going to chance using it until it's replaced. My question is how long should I expect to wait? I don't want to bug the dealer but I also want to know how long a typical wait is. BG

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Sorry about the crack. Hopefully they will get you taken care of soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Depends on how often your dealer gets shipments in from their distributor I would guess. Bug your dealer. That's what they are here for "customer service".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hopefully not long. You hear different stories when different dealers.  If you have a high sales dealer it should be a shorter wait.  Unless your egg is wide open and is setting on a wooden structure you should be fine cooking with lower temp cooks. I've been there and it was remedied very quick. Hopefully you will experience the same.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Thanks. They are a larger dealer and they host an Eggfest and Ribfest. With that, would they know everything is approved and replacement parts are on the way in a few days or does the mothership take a week or two to approve?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! My guess is that your dealer is served by the same wholesaler as my dealer down here in IL as they cover most of our Northern central states. They are located in Fargo, ND and typically are very user friendly. Good Luck!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I got my approval within 10mins of walking in the store and in 15min I had a new base in my truck. I should say that my dealer is also a distributor too. I would think a couple of days otherwise. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Took pics of my cracked Egg in on Saturday, small Fireplace shop/Egg dealer. First ever warranty claim for them. Got called on Wednesdat that my replacement was there. 
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm satisfied with the small wait I had for a replacement fire ring, I lived.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I emailed the store doing my warranty and they said it will be on their next shipment on ceramic, that will be here middle of April. WTH? Should I call the mothership or wait 2 months?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Turned in my base, fire ring box and ps all at once. Left with new. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bigguy136 Sure you could call them. The only other option I know of is paying the shipping to expedite it. Normally you wouldn't pay for warranty parts shipping but, that is because they have it out with their normal order. Want it sooner and you may have to ante up. That seems like a long time to wait with a "Large" dealer. Mine has about a week to two week on large items like a base or dome.  Other ceramics such as a PS, firering or firebox they often have on-site or within a day to three days. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Any other dealers around??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @bigguy136 - Mine took a couple of weeks for my new base on the dealer's regular order. My warranty was also in April/May if I recall. I would guess that egg sales here in MN are a little slow now and that's why they don't have a shipment coming for a while. Who is your dealer? There may be another dealer here in the metro that would get a delivery earlier. Maybe you see if BGE would process it through someone else just for the sake of time.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Justacookin
    Options
    I"m betting poolside is his dealer surprised it would take that long they are supposed to be the largest dealer in the state.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had a crack in the same area, from the vent across the bottom about half of the diameter. I used it probably 10 times from the time I noticed the crack until it got replaced, all 350* or below cooks. No problems.  

I had my new base within 2 weeks from the time I made the claim.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I"m betting poolside is his dealer surprised it would take that long they are supposed to be the largest dealer in the state.
    You are correct. I called DJs in Monticello and the lady didn't know how the warranty worked and told my to go back to the store I bought it from (another 40 miles extra drive). I guess I'm done grilling for a few months. If I did use it and the bottom broke, caught my garage on fire, I would get others asking why I would use it with a crack. I'll play it safe and park it. Maybe this is a good time to buy another large?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Call the mothership...
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I was walking the fence on getting a second egg and the great people of Poolside in Little Canada helped me off the fence.
    I've been in several BGE dealers in the Twin Cities area but these guys understand being an egghead. After making the sale, my salesperson and I were talking eggs and he showed me his egg patio he is building with 3 visable eggs in the photo.
    Again, not just sales people but eggheads there.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Good for you @bigguy136! The folks at Poolside are great. You're going to love having two eggs. I'm sure they'll get you taken care of on that warranty too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    Is the Egg cracking a common problem? Is there a registration that I need to do before something happens?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• bigguy136
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem. This one was almost 10 years old and 200 plus pounds of lump burned every year. Low and slows to high temp pizzas.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    Is the Egg cracking a common problem? Is there a registration that I need to do before something happens?
    You should register your egg with the mothership. See they're site. Also, make sure you have your original receipt. All the ceramics except platesetter are lifetime warranty, but you have to have the receipt.