Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
Dublin Dawg
Dublin Dawg Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can the cedar planks be reused, or are they pretty much toast after their first use?

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Dublin Dawg, See High Cotton's post down below. His didn't char when cooked lo-n-slow.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    I've used mine multiple times. I turn them over and let the fire burn off any remnants, then scrape it with a food scraper.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • HighCotton
    Options
    Dublin Dawg, These 1/2 planks were soaked in water for an hour or so, coated lightly with EVOO, and have lemon slices(and orange slices cause we ran out of lemons) between the skin and plank. With low/slow/indirect the planks will still give off a bit of smoke. After a monster salmon slab smoke and glaze the planks will be a mess. I throw em out and use another the next time. You'll know what to do..

• BridgeMan
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    If you happen to have a surface planer around, you can run the plank through the machine for a fresh surface. My wife says I am the only person she knows that needs to use a major power tool to smoke fish.
    Bridgeman