Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food presentation on the forum

Options

Who tries to make a perfect presentation of their cooking masterpiece before posting to the forum? My wife thinks I'm an idiot for blowing the crumbs away, getting the right light, and placing the food in just the right position. Haha.

Mind you I'm not very good at it but I am learning from you guys!

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I don't bother with it unless it's stunning...
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Join the club...your wife just has to get used to it or else cook her food in the oven .
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It's so bad at my house that my son has started plating and photoing his plate if I'm not home. It's infectious. 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Same here. Family pretty much knows to give me a minute until I can get pictures taken. However, I am still horrible about actually posting my cooks on here. I vowed to do better and haven't done much better. I need to renew my vow again and get on it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    I always try to take good pictures of the grub I make but the poor lighting in my house screws it all up.  Here's to warmer temperatures and cooking/photographing/eating outside!
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @oldgeezeystax Nice avatar. Where are you in Frederick? I live in Worman's Mill.
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Thank you sir.  I'm right on 12th, nice to 'meet' a local egg'er!
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    OP, depends. If I have my real camera out, I will do it up right, even setting up bounce effect. With the potato camera? Nah. But I make sure every one knows that crappy cell phone pics are coming. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    It's so bad at my house that my son has started plating and photoing his plate if I'm not home. It's infectious. 

Thanks for the idea. Gonna get my 2 year old into plating now!

OP, depends. If I have my real camera out, I will do it up right, even setting up bounce effect. With the potato camera? Nah. But I make sure every one knows that crappy cell phone pics are coming. 

Think I need a real camera now, too. Old iPhone just isn't brining it home.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's a lot of fun once you find things that you really enjoy shooting. I like landscapes and low-light portraits. I've just started playing more with flash photography. 

The downside is that it can become a much more expensive habit than the egg :|
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Always try to plate it nice, SWMBO sometimes thinks I'm a tad OCD. Seldom take pics as I suck as a photographer and there doesn't seem to be time.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Yep my wife thinks I am nuts..I enjoy it and she's cool with that..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I am a terrible photographer, but I have been taking pics of my food long before buying an Egg or learning of this forum. I just enjoy having the memories, especially when I do good....
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not so much into it. I like seeing some of the other posters pics but I am more into eating it.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Lit said:
    Not so much into it. I like seeing some of the other posters pics but I am more into eating it.
    I agree. I can't take a good plated pic. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You are a nice guy Blake! 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    make sure to include the fork in your plated shot.  To put it over the top, use an iPhone, for max blurryness.

I kid.  Don't do that. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Not much effort, especially this time of year.  I am often cooking in the dark and cold and hungry when it's time to eat.  I like photography, but just don't have the time right now.  When we get better whether and later daylight hours, the shots may improve.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    make sure to include the fork in your plated shot.  To put it over the top, use an iPhone, for max blurryness.

I kid.  Don't do that. 
    Is a plastic fork, paper plate, and a droid phone ok? I don't have an iPhone. 

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I'm lucky if I remember to get pic.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is my everyday dinner setup.  No need to pretty it up.

very proper...eating forks on the left...work your way in with each meal

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    MaC122 said:

Who tries to make a perfect presentation of their cooking masterpiece before posting to the forum? My wife thinks I'm an idiot for blowing the crumbs away, getting the right light, and placing the food in just the right position. Haha.

Mind you I'm not very good at it but I am learning from you guys!

Never, I'm in too much of a rush to start eating.  I'm lucky if I even remember to take a pic.  But spend time making it pretty, that's just delaying my first bite.  My taste buds don't care how it looks, they care how it tastes and how warm it is.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i just fix my plate up, even when not taking pics =) then i fix every one elses to look like a slop plate from the cafeteria =) that'll teach them for rushing things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I get enough grief just for taking pics of my cooks and plate.  As a result, they are usually quickies when she is not looking!  Wife states correctly that I have more pictures of food than of her =)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Im a paper plate kind of guy, unless its a special occasion or something I have to cut with a steak knife. Its hard to make a plated masterpiece on a paper plate, so I just get the shot and eat. Keeping it real.