Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need more govt in my life...

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As do I, but they don't draw from it either.
    Options
    As do I, but they don't draw from it either.
    no, but the govt cant rob from it like they do ss, and i might be contributing to their parents ss now where those in the public sector bowed out. those pensions are also guaranteed, not like my ss, or like my 401k. then theres the issue with ssdi. everybody should be on the same system
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ... the crazy white folk are only half the equation.

Rohm Emanuel is the mayor of Chicago.  A week or so ago, according to the polls, he was just short of the 51% he needed to avoid a runoff election.  So, Obama came to Chicago to campaign for him ... that surely would push Rohm over the top.  This morning's paper reported that Rohm actually slid backwards and will now have to participate in a runoff election.

So, in addition to the crazy white folk, we have the disappointed blacks and the dead folks who are moving on ...

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @nolaegghead ... yep, you're right, the first sentence should have been in a paragraph by itself.  Like this:

I live in Illinois ... we are the worst run state in the union.  We are so crooked we don't know how big the unfunded pension liability really is.  The last group of inbred idiots said we are only 100 million in the hole.  But, a financial economist at the University of Illinois puts it at 250 million.  Either number is way, way too much.  Politicians in our state have been giving away promissory notes for years to avoid telling the truth.

Four out of the last seven Illinois governors have gone to prison for corruption. Wow does that make me proud to live here (said with great sarcasm.)  Our newest governor is a prior business man and is trying to bring some sanity to the state.  You should hear the squealing of the various organizations ... "you can't cut MY budget" is the refrain.  I hope our new governor isn't tilting at windmills.

Oh, by the way, we increased the state income tax a few years ago (made it an increase for only a few years) to help correct the problem.  Guess what we did ... yep, funded new programs with that money. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @nolaegghead ... yep, you're right, the first sentence should have been in a paragraph by itself.  Like this:

I live in Illinois ... we are the worst run state in the union.  We are so crooked we don't know how big the unfunded pension liability really is.  The last group of inbred idiots said we are only 100 million in the hole.  But, a financial economist at the University of Illinois puts it at 250 million.  Either number is way, way too much.  Politicians in our state have been giving away promissory notes for years to avoid telling the truth.

Four out of the last seven Illinois governors have gone to prison for corruption. Wow does that make me proud to live here (said with great sarcasm.)  Our newest governor is a prior business man and is trying to bring some sanity to the state.  You should hear the squealing of the various organizations ... "you can't cut MY budget" is the refrain.  I hope our new governor isn't tilting at windmills.

Oh, by the way, we increased the state income tax a few years ago (made it an increase for only a few years) to help correct the problem.  Guess what we did ... yep, funded new programs with that money. 

You're not even laying it on thick enough! They doubled the State income tax and the money was all gone before it was collected. Nothing at all to show for the increase at all, period. It is truly disgusting. Wake up or this could be coming to a state near you. Just look at the debacles which are: Illinois, California, and Michigan. They all have something is common.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Dr. Said I should cut down on salt, but here I am having popcorn for lunch.  You bastids!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

You're not even laying it on thick enough! They doubled the State income tax and the money was all gone before it was collected. Nothing at all to show for the increase at all, period. It is truly disgusting. Wake up or this could be coming to a state near you. Just look at the debacles which are: Illinois, California, and Michigan. They all have something is common.
    They all border bodies of water?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    people see what they choose to see.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Some people love Koolaid......
    GWN
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Confirmed. I suppose the only way you could miss it if you close you eyes.

Illinois:

Michigan:

California:

• pgprescott
    Options
    Confirmed. I suppose the only way you could miss it if you close you eyes.

Illinois:

Michigan:

California:

They all have vowels in their names too. Man this is easy. I am a genius!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    That is how the game is played, good sir! 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Koolaid is disgusting. Tang for the win. The astronauts drank it.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'll take "Vodka Mixers" for $100, Alex.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nanook said:

That's right......we did have astronauts before Obama.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Nanook said:

That's right......we did have astronauts before Obama.
    We still do! This guy is on the ISS right now!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Guess we need a sarcasm sign.

My son has an autographed picture and that very patch on his wall.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - just to make you feel better, these states have higher debt as a percentage of GDP than Illinois:

New Jersey
    Nevada
    Washington
    South Carolina
    Kentucky
    Rhode Island
    New York

Source http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/state_debt_rank

My suggestion is to vote, cook food and don't worry about it.
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    all anyone really needs to know about climate change =)

1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970).
    1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970).
    1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (Owosso Argus-Press, January 26, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970).
    1970 – Cold Facts About Pollution (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970).
    1970 – Dirt Will.Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970).
    1971 – Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground (The Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971).
    1971 – U.S. Scientists Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971).
    1971 – Ice Age Around the Corner (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971).
    1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971).
    1971 – Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight (The Day, November 1, 1971).
    1971 – Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971).
    1972 – Air pollution may cause ice age (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist predicts new ice age (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – British expert on Climate Change says Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (Portsmouth Times, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – New Ice Age Slipping Over North (Press-Courier, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North (The Age, September 12, 1972).
    1972 – Weather To Get Colder (Montreal Gazette, September 12, 1972).
    1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972).
    1972 – Science: Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972).
    1973 – The Ice Age Cometh (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973).
    1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973).
    1974 – New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974).
    1974 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974).
    1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974).
    1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974).
    1974 – Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974).
    1974 – Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, December 4, 1974).
    1974 – Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, December 5, 1974).
    1974 – More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel – December 5, 1974).
    1974 – Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 5, 1974).
    1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous (The New York Times, January 19, 1975).
    1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975).
    1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator – March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – There’s Troublesome Weather Ahead (Tri City Herald, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, March 3, 1975).
    1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975).
    1975 – The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975).
    1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975).
    1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975).
    1975 – Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 11, 1975).
    1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [Book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976).
    1977 – Blizzard – What Happens if it Doesn’t Stop? [Book] (George Stone, 1977).
    1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [Book] (The Impact Team, 1977).
    1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976).
    1977 – The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977).
    1977 – We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977).
    1978 – The New Ice Age [Book] (Henry Gilfond, 1978).
    1978 – Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978).
    1978 – Winters Will Get Colder, ‘we’re Entering Little Ice Age’ (Ellensburg Daily Record, January 10, 1978).
    1978 – Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978).
    1978 – It’s Going To Get Colder (Boca Raton News, January 17, 1978).
    1978 – Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978).
    1978 – The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978).
    1978 – An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978).
    1979 – A Choice of Catastrophes – The Disasters That Threaten Our World [Book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979).
    1979 – Get Ready to Freeze (Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979).
    1979 – New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979).

fukahwee maine

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If Spock (Nimoy) says so, it must be true!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2015
    Options
    all anyone really needs to know about climate change =)

1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970).
    1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970).
    1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (Owosso Argus-Press, January 26, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970).
    1970 – Cold Facts About Pollution (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970).
    1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970).
    1970 – Dirt Will.Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970).
    1971 – Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground (The Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971).
    1971 – U.S. Scientists Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971).
    1971 – Ice Age Around the Corner (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971).
    1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971).
    1971 – Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight (The Day, November 1, 1971).
    1971 – Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971).
    1972 – Air pollution may cause ice age (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist predicts new ice age (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – British expert on Climate Change says Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (Portsmouth Times, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – New Ice Age Slipping Over North (Press-Courier, September 11, 1972).
    1972 – Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North (The Age, September 12, 1972).
    1972 – Weather To Get Colder (Montreal Gazette, September 12, 1972).
    1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972).
    1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972).
    1972 – Science: Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972).
    1973 – The Ice Age Cometh (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973).
    1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973).
    1974 – New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974).
    1974 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974).
    1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974).
    1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974).
    1974 – Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974).
    1974 – Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, December 4, 1974).
    1974 – Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, December 5, 1974).
    1974 – More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel – December 5, 1974).
    1974 – Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 5, 1974).
    1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous (The New York Times, January 19, 1975).
    1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975).
    1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator – March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – There’s Troublesome Weather Ahead (Tri City Herald, March 2, 1975).
    1975 – Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, March 3, 1975).
    1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975).
    1975 – The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975).
    1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975).
    1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975).
    1975 – Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 11, 1975).
    1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [Book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976).
    1977 – Blizzard – What Happens if it Doesn’t Stop? [Book] (George Stone, 1977).
    1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [Book] (The Impact Team, 1977).
    1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976).
    1977 – The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977).
    1977 – We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977).
    1978 – The New Ice Age [Book] (Henry Gilfond, 1978).
    1978 – Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978).
    1978 – Winters Will Get Colder, ‘we’re Entering Little Ice Age’ (Ellensburg Daily Record, January 10, 1978).
    1978 – Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978).
    1978 – It’s Going To Get Colder (Boca Raton News, January 17, 1978).
    1978 – Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978).
    1978 – The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978).
    1978 – An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978).
    1979 – A Choice of Catastrophes – The Disasters That Threaten Our World [Book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979).
    1979 – Get Ready to Freeze (Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979).
    1979 – New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979).

Maybe they were forecasting the cartoon movies. ;)

The Ice Age (2002)
    Ice Age 2 - The Meltdown (2006)
    Ice Age - Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)
    Ice Age - Continental Drift (2012)

Afterall, a decade of predictions lead to a decade of movies. :D
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jonnymack
    Options
    This thread turned into all kinds of funny. Thanks.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i just dont trust govt, and science is funny too. 

whats easier to fix polution, fixing 15 cargo boats or...every automobile on the planet =)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1020063_pollution-perspective-one-giant-cargo-ship-emits-as-much-as-50-million-cars

fukahwee maine

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Don't forget the methane from cow farts.  They will "Dutch oven" us all!
    Flint, Michigan
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Don't forget the methane from cow farts.  They will "Dutch oven" us all!
    I thought the cow farts were far and away the leader in this vicious plot to destroy the planet. Beeno For Bovines. Start the campaign today! For only a $10,000,000 annual grant I will be glad to look into this and provide ample "scientific" studies that will support whichever result you wish. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    An interesting editorial column by George Will concerning Illinois showed up in this morning's paper.  It's a good summation of how bad we are.

In a post above, I said we had an unfunded pension libility of $100~250 million ... George corrected me ... it's billion, not million.

On another topic.  If you were a homeowner in the 1970's and had a natural gas yard light out front, you might remember what happened.  Yep, the government said that we were running out of natural gas and had to conserve our limited supply or suffer irreparable harm.  So, they mandated that all gas lights had to be converted to electrical lights.  That was sure a great decision (insert sarcasm sign here).

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

i leave politics off forums like this but I gotta ask the question:  WHO benefits FINANCIALLY if the recommendations of this report are followed  by every American?

Guys and gals- this has nothing to do with sustainability and saving the environment and EVERYTHING to do with someone being able to profit off of this report.  Sheeple like us will never know exactly who though.

If the environment was so precious, and we were doing every single thing to save it, why is oil still transported on inefficient and risky rail cars from NW to the refineries instead of via a much more efficient pipleline?  Answer: WARREN BUFFET owns CSX AND he doesn't want competition.  look at who he gave money to and you'll have your answer.