Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince Me!?!

Options

Comments

• bosco0633
    Options
    I looked a primo but was not terribly impressed withe the hinge system and wasn't too fond of the oval design.

My next grill will be a mini max BGE
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I have an L and an XL Egg.  They have made a huge difference in my cooking.  Can't speak of the KJ because I have neither used them nor seen one.  The Primo is not up to par.  Too many service issues that are important.  I used to sell the Primo and saw MANY bases that cracked.  When that happens you are done until you get a new one.  Plus you have to pay for shipping of the part.  Bases are very expensive to ship.  A common problem with the Egg is that the firebox and the fire ring crack.   Is it annoying...sometimes but very rarely.  Plus it can sit there forever and never be a problem.  The divide and conquer sounds like a good idea to me but if you are cooking a couple large pieces of meat can you really cook direct and indirect?  If I need to do that I have the XL for it.  If I first owned a KJ maybe I would feel differently but green is the only way I would ever go.  Once I find a product that I like I stick with the brand unless something comes along that is a game changer.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I did a lot of research before I made my decision too.  I don't really think you can go wrong either way.  Both good solid cookers.  Neither one is perfect.  Some minor tweaks could be made on both IMHO. One of the deciding factors for me was the fact that there are 4 BGE dealers within a 50 mile radius of where I live.  Closest KJ was about 100 miles away.  Went green and have no regrets.

Living Large and XL

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I believe the KJ guys used to be BGE guys and felt they could do better when things changed a few years back at BGE headquarters, or I could be wrong and I'm thinking about another company. I also believe most of the accessories are interchangeable. In fact Ceramic Grill Store has a KJ section that looks similar to the BGE .

KJ looks like a good product and I see a Joe jr in my future.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    lilwooty said:
    I did a lot of research before I made my decision too.  I don't really think you can go wrong either way.  Both good solid cookers.  Neither one is perfect.  Some minor tweaks could be made on both IMHO. One of the deciding factors for me was the fact that there are 4 BGE dealers within a 50 mile radius of where I live.  Closest KJ was about 100 miles away.  Went green and have no regrets.
    This is precisely what my issue was. 4 BGE dealers within 50 miles. The nearest KJ dealer was about 50 miles away but way, way out of my way.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd say  purchase whichever vessel suits your desires. I don't discriminate. Cooking good food for family and friends is always welcome. And sharing experiences, recipes, processes etc is what this forum is about. Many folks talk off forum here and I am no exception to this.  That being said ... BGE positives: the eggfests (haven't been to not a one :frowning:  ), tight knit community and forum hijinks makes this place worth and the BGE worth a second and third look. Whatever you decide in the end enjoy it and cook something delicious. :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @bheathbbq - First let me say welcome to the forum. There is deep passion on this forum. What I'm saying here is there is a passion for cooking, good (most of the time!) humor and constant ribbing,and by-in-large a passion for the BGE brand. While some members here use other devices or types of cookers, nearly everyone that shares regularly is using a BGE product in their arsenal - that's what brought them here in the first place. When it comes down to the cooking part, really all it is is "heat & meat" so your pathway to get there is your own to determine. 

I am also an avid ATV rider and I happen to belong the Yamaha forum. Every week, a potential buyer comes on the forum and asked "Why should I buy a Yamaha?" In my opinion, it comes down to brand trust. You're investing in something that is seen as relatively expensive and also that you are likely to have for a very long time. If you have trust in the rep/dealer that you spoke to, then maybe you've found your brand.

My first egg came as a gift from my in-laws when I got married as I married into an egghead family. Since then, I've become hooked and remained brand loyal largely because of a very strong brand. I considered getting a KJ Jr last year but decided to buy a small BGE instead. I'm not worried that BGE will be going away anytime soon and that 20 yrs from now when I need a good dealer and a warranty part, I will have no trouble finding both. The product and the company have both stood the test of time.

While we might pay a few dollars more for a product that essentially looks the same and may work equally as well (I've never cooked on a KJ), I have a local KJ dealer that would love to be a BGE dealer simply because he knows the sales and reputation are there and it would make his business a lot of money. I'm pretty sure his KJ sales pale in comparison to most of the BGE dealers around me. Undoubtedly, you will find some bellyaching on here about the price of BGE and the stuff that goes with them. If you happen to be in business, you know that in order for a brand to stay around, it has to be profitable. Are we being gouged at the cash register? I guess I don't think so, but I know for sure that I want the company and the dealers to stay in business so I can count on their support. We all like a better deal but I do my best to remain realistic in this regard.

Who knows, maybe someday KJ will take over the lion's share of the market but I highly doubt it. I chose to put my money into a brand that I trust.  

Just a friendly reminder that you are coming to a brand sponsored forum with a high percentage of loyalists. I think most would agree that when you get into this and participate to the level of most forum members, you are really buying into a lifestyle.

Sorry for the rambling post and good luck with your decision, and again, welcome to the forum. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    bheathbbq said:
    I've been lurking on the forum for over two years wanting to by a bge. Finally, this is the month i decide to pull the trigger. However, as a newbie, i come across the kamado joe. It seems that kj has answered the demands of the customers and kept their product innovative.  As a passionate griller, how do i justify going with the bge?  It comes ready to use, no accessories NEEDED (obviously some may be wanted), plus the divide and conquer option.  I went to a local dealer that carries both. The rep said, without provocation that he owns 3 bge and has been using them for over 10 years.  But... if he were to start today, he'd go kj. Says they are more customer oriented. Convince me...  i love the forum, but from my newbie perspective, that's the only benefit to going green. Thanks in advance from canton ohio.
    after 2 years drooling over the egg, will you be happy with the kj or always wondering if you made a mistake =) if you do get the egg, skip the platesetter and upgrade to the woos or adjustable rig, spider and stone and never look back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
    I had a KJ before I purchased my first Large BGE, I had my KJ for almost 4 years before switching over. The main reason I switched over was my bottom ceramic cracked and even though it was under a lifetime warranty I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it replaced (at the time it cracked we were having a cold spell and they blamed it on that and it was not going to be covered) and once I did get them to agree on replacement they had me drive not to the dealer about 50 miles away but to one in Pennsylvania to pick it up. I had a problem with the fire box on my 2nd BGE and called my local dealer ( 10 miles away) and was told to bring it to them and they would give me one right away.
    I like the availability of the optional accessories you can buy for the BGE over the KJ to suit your personal cooking preferences, the forums are a great help because you usually get a response within minutes instead of days on the KJ sites and like others have said the eggfest are awesome to go to. 
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Newport65
    Options
    I was looking at both.  Read all the reviews and they both seemed pretty equal.  You did get a nest with the KJ but that did not matter to me because I was going to build a table.  I even went into the store (they sold both) not knowing what I was going to do.  I ended up with the BGE because more of it was manufactured in the good old USA.

Farmington, CT

LBGE

• jimithing
    Options
    One of the driving forces for me personally was proximity to dealers.  I have 5 gold level egg dealers within about 10 minutes from my house.  They're all locally owned shops and I know any of them would take care of a problem if one arose.  The only KJ dealers around me are Conn's, which is a kind of big box appliance/electronics dealer.  I've never been impressed with that store and I have zero faith that they will take care of me if a problem did arise.  They strike me as a store where people "rent to own" stuff.

KJ corp may be great, I have no idea.  But I want to be able to walk into a store when I have a problem and have a solution when I leave.  That doesn't mean I'll walk out with a part in hand but at least a part on order or a plan of action.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am a brand loyalist. I know that is exactly what the company I am loyal too wants, but it works for me. I own two BGE's, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I have heard the stories that KJ came about as a result of BGE employees leaving and starting KJ. Is that true? I don't know, but either way in my opinion it makes them a knock off or a copy cat. 

I am not saying I may never own a KJ, but I don't plan on it. I think I would always say to myself, "I like my KJ. I just wish it was an Egg". 

Do what works for you, but I wouldn't hang around the KJ forum for two years and then buy an egg. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have had my L BGE for 4 years and cannot envision ever being without it.  It's really family.
    A couple of years ago, I bought a Mini for its portability ( we have a condo on the coast we visit very regularly).  Eventually, I decided I wanted a bit bigger cooking grid.
    It seemed to be taking too long for the Minimax to get available out here.  I did buy a Kamado Joe Jr a few months ago.
    I truly enjoy cooking on its 13" grid, it does weigh about 8 lbs less than the MM, and it comes in a really cool nest consisting of a 19 inch circular base with very useful handles.  Also, the nest holds the bottom of the base just over 5 inches above whatever surface it's cooking on, and I really appreciate that.  Actually, next week KJ Jr will make its first visit to our Seaside place.
    All said and done, I am a confirmmed  egger, and a pleased KJ'er.
    Also, it's very neat out on my deck, Green Egg & Red KJ, every day looks like Christmas!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bosco0633
    Options
    I don't want to post too much and cause problems but some of the KJ info being talked about is not accurate.

What I will say is this:

Kamado Joe has many wonderful authorized retailers and an online authorized distribution network as well.  They also have dealers such as Ace hardware that seems to be everywhere in the US.  So there are dealers all over the place.

As for the dealer support, that is really a non issue with KJ.  You file a claim on the website and they take care of you.  All parts are shipped from the warehouse.  I filed a claim this year and from start to finish my claim was received, processed, and I had a tracking number in 24 minutes from the time I filed.  I received the part to Canada from Georgia in 3 days.  The ceramics are a lifetime warranty just like BGE and they have even replaced units damaged from wind storms so I am not sure how anyone could suggest that they got the run around.

Another argument was about accessories.  KJ has a ton of stuff now, chicken stands, pizza stones, divide and concur, x-rack, dutch oven, cast wok, expander racks, pizza peels and pizza cutters to name a few.  They are about to unravel a rotisserie attachment in the next few months.  

I will in no way take away the wonderful dealer networks of BGE, the loyal support and the fact that BGE paved the wave into the bbq world.  They have been in the game for a very long time.  But BGE didn't create kamado cookers, they were once the new kid on the block.  I love the egg community and everything that it stands for.  That is why I joined this site. When I first joined I expressed that I didn't have a BGE and many welcomed me with open arms.  NPhuskerFL said it best in his reply!!  I really respect your comments sir.

I think the question was a little silly to ask in a BGE loyal site personally.  At the end of the day, get what you like, these forums are a great source of entertainment, knowledge, and friendships.  They will be around no matter what you own.  Get one that you like best for whatever reasons work for you and start cooking.

Anyways thats all that I will say, thanks again everyone for welcoming me to this wonderful forum, I will continue to post cooks and hopefully inspire other meals that you may one day cook for yourself!!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    So you've been lurking on this forum for over two years? Obviously you've seen the results of what the Egg and these talented Eggers produce. 99% of the people on this forum are cooking on Eggs, and about the same percentage love them. And you are asking us to "convince" you. I assume you are an adult. Make a decision man!!
    Just sayin.....
    GWN
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    To me they are near identical cookers, and if you look online at cooking comparisons you will find the same.  The only difference is your start-up cost and accessories.  My brand loyalty only goes so far, I love my LBGE but if I had known about KJ I would have likely gone that route and will be buying a joe jr in the future.  This forum isn't locked out for you to read or even participate, and I don't imagine they single out KJ owners at eggfests and kick them out.  
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Its like buying a Hondayamazuki when you really wanted a Harley. You'll never fully be happy with an imposter. Besides, I thought everybody was going green these days!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    gamason said:
    Its like buying a Hondayamazuki when you really wanted a Harley. You'll never fully be happy with an imposter. Besides, I thought everybody was going green these days!
    true, although these things aren't exactly rocket science.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    gamason said:
    true, although these things aren't exactly rocket science.  
    Or even motorcycle science :glasses: .

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So, @bheathbbq, are you with us?  :D
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I will try the Jedi Mind Trick. "These are the Eggs you're looking for"! Did it work?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Or, we could enlist Spock, not to be confused with SpatchCock, to do the Vulcan Mind Meld! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Or, we could enlist Spock, not to be confused with SpatchCock, to do the Vulcan Mind Meld! 
    @THEBuckeye assuming he is out of the  hospital, of course. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The nearest dealer of the KJ at the time I got my XL was 45 minutes away and my current dealer is 5 minutes.  Also there prices were higher on the KJ then the BGE.  There KJ that is about the size of the large was the price of a XL BGE.  They also aren't the best people to deal with if you ask me.  I believe it is a good brand and should cook well.  If its a lot cheaper then give it a try.  I have ordered a different manufactures mini type egg shaped cooker that is about the size of the Mini Max, but 2/3 the cost.  I wanted the MM or small and would have paid the price if the wife had said yes.  She approved the one I have coming for $198 w/shipping.  You can still get advise on hear even if you buy a KJ.  Are you getting the regular or XL?  Good luck in your choice and enjoy.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    KJ is probably a great overall grill.  I'd be looking real hard at them if I didn't pick up my first egg 5 years ago.  If they're close in price the egg is a no brainer.  Warranty is outstanding and the company has been around for decades.  Must say something.  If the KJ is significantly cheaper it might be worth rolling the dice
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I'm committed to BGE so I may be biased but one other thing I noticed is that the grid system is now included on the KJ. While at the point of purchase, I would guess that's a great selling feature. If I were in the market for my first kamado style cooker, I would likely think that's awesome.

However, I just watched the video on the "Divide and Conquer" system and I don't think I would care for the split grids and stones. The video makes it look very easy to set up when it's all clean and new, but once the grids are all greasy and the stones are all slopped up and soot covered, I would find it a PITA. I wouldn't trade it for an Adjustable Rig or a Woo so it wouldn't be a big feature based on that.

While I'm sure D&C works fine, I have learned my technique to cook with my AR and Woo's and they work great for me. The D&C just has too much business going on for me. Oh, and when you want to go direct and indirect at the same time, where do you find a 1/2 moon drip pan if you like to use one? Maybe they sell one, I don't know. 

All I know is I'm an Egghead and I still wish I could get a Mini Max (even though I don't really need it).
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    there is nothing stopping a person with a KJ from buying the woo or AR.  What I would like most in my egg is part of the grill hinged so I can add wood chunks easily.  The woo has made this much easier but a hinge feature would be nice.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @bigalsworth - I understand that people can still buy an AR or a Woo for a KJ. What I would not care for is the split grid rather than a whole one. The video says you can buy the whole grid as an accessory. I agree about a small part of the grid being hinged - I might find that useful on direct cooks. Most of the time when I'm adding wood, I'm cooking indirect anyway so the Woo and AR have to come out anyway due to the indirect piece. I'm not saying it isn't a fine product. I'm just saying it wouldn't be my first choice.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    First exposure to kamado cooking was with a KJ, belonged to neighbour. When he moved, I went looking, no KJ dealers in my neck of the woods at the time, lots of Primos, just not hooked on the oval. 
    Found a BGE dealer in Bellingham on a cross border shopping trip, came home with a MBGE, then joined this forum. I think the KJ and the classic Visions for that matter are fine grills. Primo seem to be selling well which might be based on their distribution arrangement - the price of a Primo, Canada vs USA are very close, the Egg, not so much. If I had to do over and had a KJ dealer nearby, there would probably be one sitting in my yard. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    gamason said:
    Hey, it's Hondayamakawazuki - and not being from the tariff protected USA, I'd take that or a Euro bike over a Milwaukee paint shaker any day - 'cept maybe that Porsche designed V-Rod. 

But you are right - green is the trending colour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!