Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

February 2015 Throw Down Regulations

Options
GalanteNate_OneEa
GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum

Throw Down!

The Throw Down starts right now, and ends 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday 2 March 2015.

Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to prepare a dish on a Big Green Egg, containing at least one ingredient harvested form an aquatic ecosystem (salt or freshwater) and at least one from land.  We in the biz call this type of dish a “Surf and Turf”.

Entries

Entries shall be posted on the “Official February 2015 Throw Down Entry” thread.  Participators will submit their entries with a description of their entry and up to FOUR (4) pictures (cellphone pictures only please). The pictures should include one picture of the ingredients, one picture must show the entry’s ingredients cooking on the BGE, and one picture of the final product (i.e. plated dish or platter of the entry).  You may opt to include one additional photo (but not mandatory), of your choice, of any part of the process. 

Voting

Voting will be done by “Like” ing the entry of your choice.  Please only vote once.  I suggest waiting until the entry deadline before voting so that you can see all entries before deciding.  Voting will end 11:59 a.m. EST Saturday 7 March 2015.  Winner will be decided by the total amount of “Like” s, which I will total upon the deadline.  Most “Like” s wins.  In the event of a tie, I will cast my vote for the overall winner.

What constitutes Surf and Turf?

I am leaving it pretty vague to help stimulate creativity.  All I ask is that the two ingredients that make up your “Surf” and “Turf” be a substantial and primary ingredient to your dish and have some what of a balance in the dish.  Though they don’t have to be exactly equal in proportions, but one should not be a condiment while the other is the main ingredient.  A pizza with pepperoni and anchovies can be considered Surf and Turf, but as the carbs and cheese would be the majority of the dish, the Surf and Turf would not really be substantial. I can understand maybe not being able to specifically identify the ingredients once they are prepared but I would hope that someone could at least be able to visibly point out the Surf and Turf.

A steak and lobster tail is a classic example.

Perhaps a pork tenderloin pinwheel stuffed with shrimp? 

Maybe a crab cake chicken ballotine? 

All of these have different levels of difficulty and creativity but all constitute Surf and Turf as far as I am concerned. 

A few things to keep in mind when voting.

-How much thought and creativity went into choosing

the ingredients. 

-Do the Surf and Turf pair well? 

-What amount of skill do you feel applies to the process of

preparing and cooking the dish? 

-Try not to focus on the cost of the ingredients.

This will be the unofficial thread, so ask your questions, and make suggestions here.  I will make the official entry thread called “Official February 2015 Throw Down Entry”.  Please limit that thread to entries.  Cast your “Like” vote on the entry in that thread.

These are merely guidelines and I will leave the judging up to all of you.  If you feel something is not a surf and turf, then don’t vote for it.  The only thing that is absolutely a rule, you must use a BGE, it doesn’t have to be yours, but you must utilize the BGE for the majority of the cooking of your entry.  Please protect the integrity of the Throw Down, be considerate of others, and have a good time!

Oh yeah, one more thing, the prize.  I will be awarding the winner with one shaker of @MeatChurch ’s line of bbq seasoning/rub, with an approximate value of $9.00.  If you are not familiar with them, the rubs can be viewed online once you win.  All I will need from the winner is the name of the rub they want and a name and shipping address to send it to    

Comments