Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need more govt in my life...

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    heres where i got that number but you still have to be careful, in mass teachers get paid from more than 1 source, if they dont get a pay raise it will be in the paper every year til they do, well they may have not gotten a salary raise, but maybe got a tenure raise to make up for it until their salary raise comes thru retroactive in a big check. and you cant fight them, their union is part of the judges union =) and not having to pay into social security is another farce. that 40k in mass is entry level, i know teachers making in the 90k realm missing every monday and still getting perfect attendance checks, i sure would like a grand extra every few months and missing every monday for perfect attendance
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    73000 per year plus for public elementary here in mass. oh right, that should be more =) youve got to be kidding me
    You all do well. In my county it's low 30s. Avg national salary is $36k. 40k in MA so your county must love their teachers.
    I'm all for the teachers, but I am confident that your figures do not include benefits which are part of the compensation. This is a common trick of the teachers union. Also one must figure in the value of tenure in many areas. I would love to have this level of job security. Then there is the defined work day and year which amounts to somewhere between 8-9 months of work. In our area, many contracts also include "sick days". One might be given 15 sick days (3 weeks/ year?) which are able to be saved and accumulated to the tune of tens and even hundreds of thousands of tax dollars paid upon retirement. I also will point out that teaching is not the only profession that requires work done after hours or monies spent on supplies. Like I said, I am all for teachers being treated fairly, but lets keep the conversation honest.
    Wow this does not jive at all with what I've seen.  I say that as someone whose mother was an elementary school teacher her entire life, whose wife taught in inner-city Atlanta for five years, and also as a parent of children who go to public schools.  

They aren't compensated anywhere near enough in my book.  We are losing some fantastic teachers in NC because their pay is so lousy.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    heres where i got that number but you still have to be careful, in mass teachers get paid from more than 1 source, if they dont get a pay raise it will be in the paper every year til they do, well they may have not gotten a salary raise, but maybe got a tenure raise to make up for it until their salary raise comes thru retroactive in a big check. and you cant fight them, their union is part of the judges union =) and not having to pay into social security is another farce. that 40k in mass is entry level, i know teachers making in the 90k realm missing every monday and still getting perfect attendance checks, i sure would like a grand extra every few months and missing every monday for perfect attendance
    I would be willing to take a 25% cut in my annual salary to be on vacation for 3 months every summer, so let's not feel too sorry for those that choose the teaching profession.  they have their perks as well.  perks most people have no option of receiving with their employers.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2015
    Options
      Zmokin said:
    Ever see the youtube video where a couple of comedians started a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide to see how many idiots would sign it.

=) That's a good one.

This one's similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSKO4xCVTM

B)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• fishlessman
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I would be willing to take a 25% cut in my annual salary to be on vacation for 3 months every summer, so let's not feel too sorry for those that choose the teaching profession.  they have their perks as well.  perks most people have no option of receiving with their employers.
    3 months every year, plus every holiday, half days, xmas vacation, spring vacation, winter vacation, 15 sick days, professional days,80 percent salary pension with 0 taxes paid to the state. the teacher i know is looking at 72k pension a year and doesnt think thats enough. for me ss would be 24k :o
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    3 months every year, plus every holiday, half days, xmas vacation, spring vacation, winter vacation, 15 sick days, professional days,80 percent salary pension with 0 taxes paid to the state. the teacher i know is looking at 72k pension a year and doesnt think thats enough. for me ss would be 24k :o
    Cant get the SS until what, 67????
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fishlessman are those #s across the board or do they vary by region?  That would seem pretty darn fair compensation. I personally can't imagine being a teacher today with so many sad ass parents that can't bring em up right.  That and everything is the schools, teachers or gov't fault (No Personal Responsibility). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman are those #s across the board or do they vary by region?  That would seem pretty darn fair compensation. I personally can't imagine being a teacher today with so many sad ass parents that can't bring em up right.  That and everything is the schools, teachers or gov't fault (No Personal Responsibility). 
    heres an average teacher in mass starting their career at age 25 and retiring age 55 to 60 plus

pensions - table 1jpg

fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Granted, MA may be different than MD, but my dad(high school teacher) gets paid for contracted hours worked. There are no "paid vacation" days, just off days.They can either accept a full salary for 9 months or get a pro-rated salary so they get a full 12 month's worth of pay checks. He does get paid sick days. I can't remember how many. Professional days are a part of the contracted hours. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Forget the government.....I just do as Oprah says.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Given all the sweet bennies teachers make for close to no real work and summers off, it really is strange that half of them leave after only five years.  I guess the lure of making more money at Walmart or Mickey D's is just too strong.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Given all the sweet bennies teachers make for close to no real work and summers off, it really is strange that half of them leave after only five years.  I guess the lure of making more money at Walmart or Mickey D's is just too strong.

Maybe they'll quit and go work on the keystone pipeline....:(
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    heres an average teacher in mass starting their career at age 25 and retiring age 55 to 60 plus

pensions - table 1jpg

Is there a mention anywhere about the actual ability to teach or responsibility? We went thru a nasty strike in BC this past year, closed the schools down from spring to late fall. Movement thru the various categories seems to be based on two things:
    Teacher's length of time teaching.
    Teacher's education. 
    There is no mention of responsibility, neither class or grade taught nor the ability to teach. Like all of us, some are better than others. 

My grandson's grade one teacher makes $84K before benefits, considered at be at 25% of base rate - her equivalent pay is well over $100K. No wonder education is such a huge part of our budget. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    These posts about teachers salary really confuse me as I grew up in Florida and live in Georgia now and teachers don't start at $40k in either place. A friends wife is a teacher and a couple years back she got a job in Forsyth county teaching and she started at $33k. That's with a college degree.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My niece has been teaching first grade for two years and she makes a tad under $30K.  She only has her Bachelor's degree. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    Options
    We're regulating work to pay with a lack of considering two things. Each place is entirely different. Community input, tax money, education priority. ...secondly, parent input. The two go hand in hand. My wife spent years involved at the elementary level serving. We push our kids, not with grandeur expectations but to do their best. If the school needs something we are there. Hell, I've built props for prom night. 
    Personally I can't imagine being a teacher. Most parents don't give a **** and want the school to raise they're kids. We dumb down the smart kids to make the underachieving ones "equal". 

Aw hell, arguing on the Internet. My daughter is a teacher, 6th grade. Hates common core, coaches girls track for free, bust her ass, cares for her students...

These kids are our future like it or not.

@eggcellsior. ..an uneducated vote is worse than no vote. I'm glad some don't because they haven't actually researched the political spectrum.

I'll take another Woodford while my artisan bread proofs. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    On the lighter side:  I think the story goes that Adlai Stevenson was at a campaign event and some woman told him "Mr. Stevenson - every thinking person in America is voting for you!"  Without skipping a beat he replied "That's not good enough - I need a majority!"
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Lit said:
    These posts about teachers salary really confuse me as I grew up in Florida and live in Georgia now and teachers don't start at $40k in either place. A friends wife is a teacher and a couple years back she got a job in Forsyth county teaching and she started at $33k. That's with a college degree.
    They need a better union. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    Options
    @fredflinstone. ..thank you.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I try to brighten the world when I can.  You're welcome.  Hey, wait a minute...
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Options
    Going back to the eating thing there's as many views on nutrition as there is on lump. My wife is a raw vegan and reads alot of things. Every opinion contradicts the last. If anyone knew for sure there wouldn't be so many published articles.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

henapple said:
    @fredflinstone. ..thank you.
    Dang! Beat me to it Tony. You've gotta be quick here :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @grege345 ugggh Union. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL uggh, no child labor, weekends, and 40 hour work week.

Two can play that game =)   
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @henapple If more people cared, the uneducated votes would be offset  and we wouldn't have to deal with the crappy candidates from both sides that come through primaries. That's why no votes are worse, they allow uneducated votes thrive. Hell, we should be conscripted to vote so people are forced to learn the issues. 
  • Lit
    Options

40 hours screw that!
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lit said:

40 hours screw that!
    @lit, I know. I'm more like 55-60 ;) 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Boy, this went WAY in a different direction. Love this forum.