Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie Folks Chime In

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
I'm researching Umai charcuterie & dry aging bags and attempting to buy at the lowest cost possible (wanting a good bit/bulk). I already use a vac saver. I already have #1 & #2 curing salt. Where do you buy your bags etc? What else do I need (vac mouse?). Any suggestions from y'all is appreciated. 
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Interested in this too Husker. I was planning to order the kits from the website but guess I will wait until I see responses from here. Their bresaola video is solid and on my list. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As you may already know I serve as a moderator on the UMAi Drybag forum and I post there as RRP as well, so I'm giving you full disclosure! I have NO monetary connection to the company but I have used their product for several years to dry age my sub primals of beef and I got to know the owner and I offered my services gratis to set up a forum which I thought would help her.
    There is only one source of that product and they ship all over the world. The material is unique as it permits the aging and moisture to be released on a controlled basis and one way. When using a Food Saver then yes the VacMouse really helps. A few years back before they discovered the VacMouse I made a 6 minute video on YouTube of how to seat a UMAi bag with a FS using a piece of FS bag, but trust me the VM makes it so much easier! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    What are you guys talking about?
    UMIA Dry bag? VacMouse? 
    I know what a food saver is.

What do ya'll do with this stuff? :i_dunno: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd post a link but I'm not sure Vanilla will let it go through, but give me a minute to try and edit this post...so let's see...
    http://www.drybagsteak.com
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌. ..you interested in an aged bag?  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP You Sir are a man of many talents! Thank you for that valuable info. So it seems safe to say I'm best suited to purchase directly from them Ron?

@durangler I'm wanting to age my own steaks, make prosciutto, pancetta etc etc

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP yep Ron that's where I'm looking (same link you listed). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Prosciutto? Damn! Doesn't that take forever and a day? Curious
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP You Sir are a man of many talents! Thank you for that valuable info. So it seems safe to say I'm best suited to purchase directly from them Ron?

LOL  - thanks! But to be blunt, they are the only source so you can't find that unique product somewhere else. Give me a holler over there on their forum. Registering is free and easy.
  • Durangler
    Options

So do I, at least the prosciutto & pancetta. I've done bacon & Canadian bacon.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @greg345 The prosciutto will probably be one of the last things I try. It does take some time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm I correct in that each bag that is sealed needs it's own vac mouse @RRP
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Durangler
    Options
    OMG ... I just bookmarked @RRP's link. :fearful: 
    Now I've got a bunch more reading to do.
    Thanks alot @Husker :angry: 
    (checking credit card balance) :smiley: 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @RRP I'm officially a newbie on the forum you listed. Same user name. Only question thus far (I'm certain I'll have many) is there a mobile view?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm I correct in that each bag that is sealed needs it's own vac mouse @RRP
    yes, but the Vac Mouse is just a small strip of plastic fabric which permits a FS unit to suck the air out before it goes in to the automatic sealing mode. Hey, for people who don't want to use a FS nor a VM just use a straw, a good set of lungs and a bread twisty! 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'd post a link but I'm not sure Vanilla will let it go through, but give me a minute to try and edit this post...so let's see...
    @RRP FYI -- I just signed up over there on the forum and placed my first order.  I did say howdie in the Welcome to Forum section.  --Terry
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Umai bags work great.  I have a 21 lb. bone-in rib roast in one right now.  Going for 45 days which will be March 6th.  This is the second time I've done it and can't wait for some more dry aged steaks!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RRP
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    RRP said:
    @RRP FYI -- I just signed up over there on the forum and placed my first order.  I did say howdie in the Welcome to Forum section.  --Terry
    Glad to have you aboard! 
  • mahenryak
    Options
    RRP said:

Glad to have you aboard! 
    Thank you very much!

• mahenryak
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL thank you, too, for raising the topic.  I've considered this before but never took the plunge.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @mahenryakDry aged primals at home, charcuterie etc. Nuff said :wink: 
    Just noticed I labeled egghead forum. I guess I should've put as OT....but, then again it falls right in line.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @BOWHUNR that's awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Is it worth the money for a family of 2 to do this and is it expensive ?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Umai bags work great.  I have a 21 lb. bone-in rib roast in one right now.  Going for 45 days which will be March 6th.  This is the second time I've done it and can't wait for some more dry aged steaks!

Mike
    Pics?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cook861 go price a whole pancetta or capicola. You can always vac save and freeze in portions. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cook861 said:
    Is it worth the money for a family of 2 to do this and is it expensive ?
    Not sure what you mean. The answer is if you ever go to a GOOD steakhouse and marvel over their great tasting steaks then PROBABLY they served you dry aged beef! Now, if you liked those steaks then yes you can dry age your own sub-primal beef for a fraction of the cost!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Let me understand this.  You can use these dry bags to make dry cured sausages and Pancetta?  If that is the case, I am in.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RRP
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Let me understand this.  You can use these dry bags to make dry cured sausages and Pancetta?  If that is the case, I am in.  
    BINGO! You got the idea! You can also use them to dry age full sub-primals of 12 to 18 pound beef sub-primals as they are called. Also they are purchased at a fraction of the price of individual dry aged steaks let alone what you will pay for at a GOOD steakhouse! Those steakhouses may have white linen table cloths and cool waiters with their palms out for a 20 to 30% tip at the end, but you can do the same at home for FAR less money! Even if you buy one of those white linen tablecloths to impress 
    the girl friend, your wife, or your friends! Serving dry aged steaks will kick your reputation as a grill master through the roof!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on this Mr Ron. I've been wanting to try dry aging and I just so happened to buy a food saver this week. Masters Sunday is only 6.5 weeks away. I'll be eating dry aged beef for sure.