Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best price for Rockwood in St. Louis

Sorry about yet another lump thread today...

I have a trip planned to St. Louis in the next week or so.  Something about watching MY Wichita State Shockers play a little basketball in their league's end-of-the-season tournament.  I have not been able to try Rockwood lump yet but I am hoping that I can score some on our way back home to Wichita.

Anyone have any tips on where to find Rockwood at a good price, preferable not far off of I-70?  What should I expect to pay?

Thanks, in advance.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Ask @stlcharcoal he would likely be the best person to answer this. I kinda doubt it's much less in Missouri. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited February 2015
    Its all sold out.  Look for some kingsford briquets in the blue bag.  They are like frozen chunks of alpine fresh air.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Find some ozark oak. Best lump I've ever used and its made in Arkansas.  Should be able to find it there 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Last year I was told that the Eureka feed store just off of I44 west of St Louis had the best price.  I think I paid $18 per 20# bag.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Handyman Hardware on st charles rock road has it. they stock it year round. Right off I-70 in bridgeton between 70 and lindbergh blvd. that would be about two blocks east off 70. I think I paid 17 - 18 bucks for the 20# bag..

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @monte72 ... a little more detail please.  Can't cross reference your directions with Rockwood's where to buy list.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Branneky True Value has it for about $18 for a 20 pound bag. It is west of St Louis just a bit and close to I70. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Message @stlcharcoal
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    monte72 said:
    Handyman Hardware on st charles rock road has it. they stock it year round. Right off I-70 in bridgeton between 70 and lindbergh blvd. that would be about two blocks east off 70. I think I paid 17 - 18 bucks for the 20# bag..

You are thinking of Branneky [True Value] Hardware @ 11403 Saint Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044.  We should have 10# and 20# bags there, but call ahead to check.  If you stop by, ask for Brian--he's their BBQ expert and has a competition team.

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I appreciate the tips.  Looks like I have some options.  Now the job will be to convince my husband that it would be worth the stop.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    If you go, stop by Mickey's restaurant for great BBQ.  Their Memphis pulled pork sandwich is great.  It is not too far from Branneky True Value.  The restaurant building doesn't look like much but the food speaks for itself.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.