Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top of Lg Closing Itself

Options
Eggin in Peoria
Eggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight, after about 9 months of usage, my large egg top started closing itself. Luckily was I paying attention and grabbed ahold before gravity would have slammed it shut. I don't have the locking mechanism - just a couple springs. Should I adjust something? Doesn't seem like the springs should be giving out already.

Any advice?

Despite the distraction - I made some very tasty fajitas.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    I think there may be a chance that you have your spring assist band on upside down. If you look at the spring assembley you should be able to read "USA" from above the egg. If you see USA from below the egg then you have it upside down. The reason I know this is because I assembled mine improperly and used it that way for 3 or 4 months. I went into my local dealer and checked some other ones out and realized what the trouble was. If you need a picture let me know and I will take one for you.

JNK
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    The black horizontal metal plate is on top of the springs. If I walk around the back of my egg I can read USA. Sound right?
  • Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Sounds like you have it installed correctly. Was it a one time sort of situation or is it now chronically falling shut?
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    3 times the one night but now it seems to be staying open. Interesting. I'll just keep an eye on it and either stop by my local dealer or write to Atlanta about replacement springs.

thanks for the help