Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All Outta Lump

Options
Just went through my first 20lb bag of Big Green Egg Charcoal so I'll be needed a restock soon...

The 20lb Organic Big Green Egg Charcoal goes for $31.99 CAN and the 20lb Le Gourmet Lump Charcoal goes for $29 CAN here in Ottawa. I was wondering what type of lump you guys use, the price, and if and when sales can be had usually.

Thanks!

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Wally World...Royal Oak, same lump as BGE.

Opelika, Alabama
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Was using BGE now have switched to weekend warrior by wicked good. Burns longer less ash. $25 a bag for 22lbs.  
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    If you have a Costco membership lots of us Canucks like the Basques lump that they carry in the summer - something like $13.89 for 8kg so not too bad on price.   If you can't get into Costco, or they don't have it in stock yet - try Rona for Maple Leaf lump.  Also very good and clean.  Both of these are miles better than the BGE lump you started with - mostly or 100% maple lump and delivers great burning, low ash and little bad smoke taste.

I think every year Lowes has a buy one get one free on Royal Oak 8kg around Canada Day. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Big fan of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Have been using Rockwood as of late for $25 for 20lb bag.  Its great as well but seems to burn faster than WGWW. WGWW does take a little longer to light.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I swear by Basques Sugar Maple from Lowes
    GWN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If Firecraft.com will ship to Canada Rockwood is good.  If you spend $100, the shipping is free.  http://www.firecraft.com/category/s?keyword=rockwood
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Eggerty, how is the WGWW compared to the BGE brand?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• dirty_denim86
    Options
    BigWader said:
    If you have a Costco membership lots of us Canucks like the Basques lump that they carry in the summer - something like $13.89 for 8kg so not too bad on price.   If you can't get into Costco, or they don't have it in stock yet - try Rona for Maple Leaf lump.  Also very good and clean.  Both of these are miles better than the BGE lump you started with - mostly or 100% maple lump and delivers great burning, low ash and little bad smoke taste.

I think every year Lowes has a buy one get one free on Royal Oak 8kg around Canada Day. 
    Just got back from Costco I think they have some out right now.

Is it the Natures Own Hardwood Lump Sugar Maple Hardwood Charcoal?

$12.59 for 8kg.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BigWader said:
    If you have a Costco membership lots of us Canucks like the Basques lump that they carry in the summer - something like $13.89 for 8kg so not too bad on price.   
    I live in Alaska.  I haven't noticed this before in our Costco store but then again I haven't been looking for it.  I'm going to check this out this spring/summer.  Thanks for tip.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    @dirtyn_denim86 that's the stuff and good price.  You can't go wrong with that lump for all types of cooking - you will wonder why BGE would ever brand such a smoky lump under their brand when there are so many cleaner burning options available.

Now when you add wood chips/chunks for smoking you will really taste the difference.  I highly recommend the Tabasco Oak Barrel Chips from Canadian Tire for beef roasts/steaks etc.  It is AMAZING stuff seriously.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    Much harder to light, but burns longer. Pretty mild and pleasant smell.
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    BigWader said:
    @dirtyn_denim86 that's the stuff and good price.  You can't go wrong with that lump for all types of cooking - you will wonder why BGE would ever brand such a smoky lump under their brand when there are so many cleaner burning options available.

Now when you add wood chips/chunks for smoking you will really taste the difference.  I highly recommend the Tabasco Oak Barrel Chips from Canadian Tire for beef roasts/steaks etc.  It is AMAZING stuff seriously.
    Great I will pick up a bag and give it a go at that price can't go wrong.

Thanks for the info and tips.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    It's hard to find lump this time of year up here they would rather put out snow shovles then lump :D
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Basques is a no brainer. Not alot of posts on it cause its not as available down in the states but its as good as any of the lumps around and better than the BGE brand.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    Much harder to light, but burns longer. Pretty mild and pleasant smell.
    Exactly what @pgprescott said.  I will add that there is much more ash with BGE as well compared to WGWW.  I find the mix of lump is pretty similar, most in the medium to medium small range.  If find that Rockwood has the best mix of large - small.  Both WGWW and RW have very little non-usable.  One thing I really like with WGWW compared to others is that when I use my Looftlighter (i know, i know) it doesn't spark hardly at all.  RW and BGE can spark quite bit. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.