Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placed a Firecraft order for lump & sampler pack from Oak Ridge BBQ, any new rubs I should try/buy?

Options
Just refilled my lump supply with an order to Firecraft.  I also ordered the sampler pack of rubs from Oak Ridge BBQ.  My supply of rubs are getting low.  Up to this point I've used most of the Dizzy Pig lineup, Plowboys Yardbird, Cluck and Squeal and Bad Byrons.
However I'm looking for some new rubs to try.  Anything new out there that I shouldn't miss?  I was looking at the Meat Church site.  If the Oak Ridge Rubs blow me away, I'll definitely order in bulk from them.  I just like to have an array of rubs on hand for my cooks.  What do ya suggest?  Thanks!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Personally I am an Oakridge fan.  Most other rubs I find are to salty for me.

Other than that all Penzeys and my own mixtures.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're really going to like Oakridge. They have been my go-to for a while.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Also, I've been wanting to try Simply Marvelous.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    EAT has some good rubs. 
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    Try Texas BBQ Rub…excellent.
    Fairview, Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I also like some of the Oakridge rubs ... their Dominator Rub is the go-to standard in our house for pork ribs.

Penzeys' rubs and spices seem to be associated with indoor cooking and overlooked when it comes to BBQing.  We've found their spices and rubs to be excellent for some egg cooks.  Don't overlook them when you're experimenting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I love The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style and Blues Hog. 

@eggcelsior - I've only had the Simply Marvelous Cherry rub, and it is really good, although it is pretty sweet and I think it needs to be cut with something.  My daughter on the other hand loves it on just about anything - and would probably put it on cereal if we let her.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    This Forum drives the Ecomony. Just ordered!

Arriving Thursday by 8pm

Not yet shipped

Track package

Oakridge BBQ Secret WeaponTM Pork & Chicken Rub - 6 oz

Sold by: Eurostoves

Buy it Again

New Albany, Ohio 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Love them!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @THEBuckeye CANCEL YOUR ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just spent triple what you would have at the Oakridge site.

They ship Priority so it just costs 2.95 on top of the 5.95 price.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @THEBuckeye ... did you check out pricing on Oakridge's website?  Their prices are generally the lowest available.  The Secret Weapon in a 6oz size looks to be half the cost of Amazon's price.  Plus, you can throw in a sample pack to try some of their other rubs.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Oakridge Secret Weapon is hands down my favorite commercial rub for pork.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I have PRIME so it's usually a wash. I'll cancel! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @TheBuckeye ... Prime does help in many instances, but somehow OakRidge direct beats the hell out other places.  That half price comparison included shipping from OakRidge.

Now, Dizzy Pig is another equation ... my local store sells it cheaper than any online store ... including Dizzy Pig direct.  Go figure.

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    So, I ordered a 6 oz pork and chicken and the 6-pack sample with shipping, saved 5 bucks and now have an account at Oakridge BBQ, of which, I had never heard of before this thread. 

Thanks, guys, looking foward to new cooks with these rubs! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I have PRIME so it's usually a wash. I'll cancel! 
    Agreed. My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw the price for 6 oz though. You can get nearly 2lbs for that price directly from Oakridge. I'm always wary of Prime shippers that are not Amazon themselves.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I will take note next time, for sure. It's so easy with the "buy with one click".  Clever marketing technique that one-click.

New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I will take note next time, for sure. It's so easy with the "buy with one click".  Clever marketing technique that one-click.

So easy a toddler can do it. Just ask the friends if my in laws. They got a brand new train set thanks to one click and a grandson on the iPad. 

Btw te really like thee oak ridge stuff. Habeñero death dust ain't no joke. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

So easy a toddler can do it. Just ask the friends if my in laws. They got a brand new train set thanks to one click and a grandson on the iPad. 

Btw te really like thee oak ridge stuff. Habeñero death dust ain't no joke. 
    That's a smart kid.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yep. He got to keep it because he happened to be there when brown Santa showed up. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    The two rubs that aren't in the sampler that I ordered that I'm very interested in hearing feedback on our the Black Ops Brisket Rub and the Habanero Death Dust.
    Is the HDD really hot, or is it well balanced in flavor?  TIA.
    Steve 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    The two rubs that aren't in the sampler that I ordered that I'm very interested in hearing feedback on our the Black Ops Brisket Rub and the Habanero Death Dust.
    Is the HDD really hot, or is it well balanced in flavor?  TIA.
    It's not that hot to me and has a nice flavor. I go nuts with it on wings.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Like both of those. HDD is hot by itself out of the container, but not overbearing once you cook with it. Really good in wings. Also sprinkled on left over pp taquitos. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    The Black Ops is excellent. Works great on steaks and burgers as well. I prefer it to the Santa Maria steak seasoning which is good also. Oakridge is by far our favorite due to the reduced salt and the overall freshness.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I love HDD.  I use it to spice up my soups and pastas too!  I have to do it only to my bowl though.  Keeps the kiddos at bay.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    btw, don't go all Rockwood on the rubs guys.  Save some for the rest of us.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @YEMTrey - I bought the sampler a while back when I needed some more Black Ops Brisket rub. The whole sampler was very good. As far as Black Ops, I love it on a brisket. I have never tried just salt and pepper and doubt that I ever will as Black Ops is f'in fantastic. 

I will definitely buy some more of their other rubs soon as I'm out of brisket rub now. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    For the Oak Ridge rubs, do you empty them from the pouches into old shaker bottles from other rubs?
    How do you store/use them?  I saw that they sell the metal shakers on the site.  While that would be great for use, it's not airtight and wouldn't be good for storage.
    Steve 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I do exactly that. Pour into an empty shaker (old plow boys) then when in finished, pour the remains back into the pouch and seal back up. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought empty jars from Penzeys.  The seal pretty tight.  I pour some into the jar to use.  I top off when the jar is emptied.

I peeled the label off the bulk bag and put on the jar so I know what I am grabbing.

I use the 'A' jars.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/empty-jars/c-24/p-1616/pd-s