Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold platesetter in a hot egg?

wbradking
wbradking Posts: 351
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
If I get the egg up to temp for a low and slow, say around 250*, and then put the platesetter in will it crack?  What about higher temperatures where I sear first and then want to roast? 

--Brad
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• I wouldn't take the chance, especially at higher temp
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I agree with krobertsmsb.  Normally I put my platesetter in when its warming up not already hot.   You can heat the plate setter in the oven though.  No issues with that. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • It won't crack, but it will steal you heat. The temp will drop with the cold mass of ceramic. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I doubt that it would crack at the lower temp. A possible option is to heat it up a little in the oven then drop it in to possibly decrease the thermal shock. I think there would be a much higher risk of it cracking if you drop a cold platesetter into a screaming hot egg.

Solution? Time to get another egg! Set one at the higher temp, the other at the lower temp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Dont get the egg to temp and then put the PS in. Let everything come up to temp together. 

Ive heard of guys tossing a hot PS in a snowbank with no problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I never had a problem doing that with mine even in the cold Canadian winter...  From -20F to a 500F egg, no problem.

THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I put it on once the  lump is ready to close the lid and I get my smoke wood on.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• @THEBuckeye That's exactly what I'd like to do---get the fire going without using up the smoke wood.  Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Shouldn't be a problem. Use gloves. But, personally I prefer to have the PS inside to come to temp with everything else. If it does crack under thermal conditions it has a three year factory warranty. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The area a major concern would probably be the contact points.  Conductive verses convective heat transfer.  If you put a piece of wood (thin shim) in between...  On L/S, the wood would carbonize/burn off and all should be fine.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have thrown it in for TRex many of time. Sear hot as hell and them throw a PS in for the roast. 

No problems 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I've never had a problem putting a cold stone in a hot or warming up egg.  Generally, I let it all heat up together, but there have been times I put a PS that was sitting outside on a hot or heated up BGE.  Thermal shock tolerance is pretty high for these guys.  I've not used a platesetter in over a year now (except on MiniMax) due to the spider and stone setups for the L and XL BGE.

You should be fine putting a cold stone in a heated egg. Now, if you drop in in, that could be an issue

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    NO
    Dave - Austin, TX