Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun immersion...

Options
2»

Comments

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Just kidding... or am I?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@UncleFred - We call those "Patel Points" :) (not the forum "we").  You'll get both good food and name recognition at Commander's for sure. You'll also get way more recs than you will be able to squeeze into your itinerary this time... which will make you want to go back for more!

NOLA is a really cool food city and one never seems to have enough time there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolan8v
    Options
    Brennan's on Royal Street just re-opened after a nasty, public, family fight.

That was a Naturally N'awlins event!

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• UncleFred
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    @TigerTony,

Parkway is an excellent recommendation. 
    However, I thought @UncleFred was trying to stay within walking distance of his hotel and experience Cajun/Creole culinary.

According to Google maps Parkway bakery is 2.1 miles away... We do about 3.5 each morning so it's still in range, as is Betsy's really... and we get to see more of the city.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @nolan8v‌ -- A few months back the shop I own in N.O. polished the letters that go on the outside of Brennan's.image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @UncleFred‌ Some walking is OK. But I'd discourage you from venturing through the city without better knowledge of the neighborhoods. Bad idea.
    Take the streetcar.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• nolan8v
    Options
    You should be fine with the distance. 

Walking down Canal Street is very scenic.

Check out City Park if you go to Parkway.

Rent a boat or bikes while there and enjoy more New Orleans scenery (weather permitting):

Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    Options
    UncleFred,

How was your visit?
    Chris Rose 

• UncleFred
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    UncleFred,

How was your visit?
    Fantastic!  The wife and I are ready to go back. Great food.. Great atmosphere... Met a lot of good people... and stumbled across the BEST bartender in the city (so we visited with him 3 nights in a row). One night while walking down Bourbon St. it started "raining" dollar bills! ...and this was in mid December... in the middle of the week.
    We tape CSI New Orleans so we can freeze frame it to remember the backgrounds of the scenes... "that's across the street from Brennan's", "That's on the corner by the Church". In one episode they walked under the Place D'Armes sign (where we stayed).
    If I had to sum up the vibe of New Orleans in two words it would be "Passionate Indulgence"

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    It's one of my favorite cities, spent my honeymoon there many years ago and been back a couple of times since.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Met SWMBO there 25 years ago, go back to the sacred ground often, so no lack of opinions and favorites.

Commanders remains in a class by itself.   Agree with all who recommend worshiping at the Palace.  Craving the Cajun rib eye right now.  

Our "new" favorite dinner place is Clancy's, up on Annunciation St.   It's simply the best food we've had, year in and year out. Sauteed baby drum muddy waters never fails to land in the top 5 entrees of all time.  Neighborhood vibe, in a converted house. Simply amazing. Website here:

http://www.clancysneworleans.com/menu.htm

We hang at the oyster bar at Felix's for hours. The shuckers keep em coming til you can't eat no mo. Avoid Acme (across the street). Hard to resist the chargrilled oysters, too.  But 6 is plenty.

Best red beans in my book is uptown, off the garden district, at Frankie & Johnnies.  Kind of a roadhouse, kind of a dump.  But the RBR is outstanding.  Same for their crawfish pie.  

One po' boy note:  in the back of a bar that used to be called Nugents and now is called Erin Rose, on Conti St. in the quarter, a place called Killer Po' Boys is serving up some of the most creative and best sammies I've ever had in NOLA.  I'm talking seared shrimp, glazed pork belly, meatloaf.  Seriously . . . after an afternoon or late night, there's no better hang and chew.  

There's no lack of places for Sunday jazz brunch, but I'm partial to Mr. B's on Royal towards the top of the Quarter.  When crawfish are in season, they make poached eggs on top of a crawfish "cake" that you won't soon forget.   

You may not go to any of these places, but I sure am grateful for you asking the question and giving me the space to answer.  I need to get a trip on the calendar!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • UncleFred
    Options

Commanders remains in a class by itself.   Agree with all who recommend worshiping at the Palace.
    All of your tips have been jotted down for our next trip!  ...but I gotta tell you bout our "weird" experience at Commander's Palace.
    We got a dinner rez for our last night in town, after having eaten at a number of interesting places all week...  From the get-go the vibe was "off".
    The reservation desk was being handled by a Southie from Boston! A big guy who you would immediately typecast as a mobster in a B movie... and he ran the waiting area with a heavy hand and sarcastic humor like he was on stage in the Catskills handling hecklers. We were early so we got to observe him for awhile.
    After all the Southern charm and hospitality we'd experienced all week we looked at each other and said "WTF"? The meal was good, not great and the service was not as attentive as we'd had elsewhere on the trip.
    We had gone to Brennan's the night before and expected the same, or better, but based on the total experience we'd take Brennan's over CP any time.
    Like they say... you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    UncleFred said:

Commanders remains in a class by itself.   Agree with all who recommend worshiping at the Palace.
    All of your tips have been jotted down for our next trip!  ...but I gotta tell you bout our "weird" experience at Commander's Palace.
    We got a dinner rez for our last night in town, after having eaten at a number of interesting places all week...  From the get-go the vibe was "off".
    The reservation desk was being handled by a Southie from Boston! A big guy who you would immediately typecast as a mobster in a B movie... and he ran the waiting area with a heavy hand and sarcastic humor like he was on stage in the Catskills handling hecklers. We were early so we got to observe him for awhile.
    After all the Southern charm and hospitality we'd experienced all week we looked at each other and said "WTF"? The meal was good, not great and the service was not as attentive as we'd had elsewhere on the trip.
    We had gone to Brennan's the night before and expected the same, or better, but based on the total experience we'd take Brennan's over CP any time.
    Like they say... you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    How strange and disappointing to hear.  Candidly, I've skipped CP the past couple times we've been down.  Not for reasons of quality or service -- there's just so many other places we've come to love or want to try.  Thanks for the head's up!    
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bayouegger
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the recommendations above, not too keen on Oceana at all though. 

Po-Boys, Johnny's in the quarter.  http://johnnyspoboys.com/
    Cab or Uber ride go to Parkway...hands down the best Po-Boys in the city
    http://www.parkwaypoorboys.com/

Really nice Creole Italian you have to go to Cafe Giovanni http://www.cafegiovanni.com/ couple of nights a week he has these opera singers walking around singing.  Super nice.  Chef Duke has this "feed me" menu and let me tell ya, don't eat anything that whole day!  You will be full and won't be disappointed.  

Good BBQ, also a cab ride,  The Joint  http://alwayssmokin.com/  Or McClures BBQ  http://www.mccluresbarbecue.com/

Someone mentioned Cochon but right behind it is his causal place called Cochon Butcher.  Very good, especially if there is a wait at Cochon, http://www.cochonbutcher.com/  Their Charcuterie Plate is amazing!  

Crawfish will be smack in the middle of their season when you arrive.  several places in the quarter offer boiled crawfish.  This is a must to me!!  Crawfish are by far my favorite Seafood.

Breakfast,  by far, hands down,,,Stanley  http://www.stanleyrestaurant.com/.  It's located right in Jackson Square and can't be beat.  

Hope this helps!

Steve
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Breakfast,  by far, hands down,,,Stanley  http://www.stanleyrestaurant.com/.  It's located right in Jackson Square and can't be beat.  

We did "do" Stanley.  We also did Cafe Du Monde (of course) and Betsy's Pancake House (walked there past the new hospital construction)... but the most memorable breakfast I had was at The Ruby Slipper Cafe on Magazine St.
    I had their signature dish "Eggs Cochon" and was NOT disappointed.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Deanies is a good place for a casual lunch....
    GWN
  • bayouegger
    Options
    Need to add one more I forgot about... http://boucherie-nola.com/
    Again a cab ride.  Also, I work at the Federal Courthouse downtown and I'll tell you what the US Marshall in charge of security tells visiting Attorneys.  Stay on the main streets!  If in the quarter do go too far off Bourbon or Royal streets.  Not sure where you are staying but just be safe, NOLA is riddled with crime!

• Jellyworm
    Options
    Bourban House for raw oysters and good seafood.  Best oysters we have found so far!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    Also a must is the peanute butter and jelly buffet every night at LaPavillion Hotel on Poydress.  I think it is from 9-10:30pm each night.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • SwampBadger
    SwampBadger Posts: 38
    edited February 2015
    Options

I grew up in the restaurant industry in New Orleans.  Lots has changed since then, but you've been given great advice so far.  Parkway Tavern if you can make it out for a poboy, Johnny's Poboys if you can't.  Mandina's is always phenomenal-turtle soup and trout almondine.  Central Grocery for a muffaletta.  Late, late, late night eats: Port of Call for a burger (or Clover Grill if you can't stumble down that far.)   For high end, it's hard to beat Pelican Club, August, Brightsens.  Galatoire's (have a jacket, it's old school, ask for John from Ville Platte).  Mr. B's Bistro.  Bayona.  K-Paul's still rocks. 

Dickie Brennan's Tableau.  Katies.  Rue 127.  Take a street car out to Camilla Grill uptown for breakfast.

Really, it's almost impossible to go wrong.  The worst tourist food you'll get there is better than the best food in many cities. 

The suggestion to visit nomenu.com is excellent.  Tom Fitzmorris spends about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, on a radio show talking about restaurants and food (only in New Orleans).  He's obviously got a good pulse on what's going on.

Oh great, now I see that this is an old thread that got re-activated.  Hope you had a fabulous trip. 

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• UncleFred
    Options

I grew up in the restaurant industry in New Orleans....

Oh great, now I see that this is an old thread that got re-activated.  Hope you had a fabulous trip. 
    We did.  In your time in the biz did you ever work with Chris McMillan? It would be difficult to find a bartender that better represents the city of New Orleans (or that makes a better Sazarac).
  • SwampBadger
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    In your time in the biz did you ever work with Chris McMillan?
    Never had the privilege.  While I did plenty of bartending, most of my time was in test kitchens, kitchens, and lines, mostly back in the '80s, early '90s.   

In dog beers, I've only had one.