Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO-Typical?

Options
I've been trying to get my wife to learn how to use the egg and she's a bit hesitant. Having to mess with the wires of the Cyber-Q  and the Ipad seems to be a deterrent for her. Is this typical of others significant others?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Forget the cyber Q and the wires. Just getting her to light it is impossible  
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Would never even try ....
    Seattle, WA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    My wife gets nervous if I just ask her to take the food off and close the bottom vent then put the ceramic top on. That's about as far as the lessons have gone. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Is this possibly a case of " be careful what you wish for"?

Kind of reminds me I of the hubbys who insist their wives take up golf.  Once it becomes a joint venture, they wonder why the blazes they didn't just keep it as their "thing".
    Phoenix 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Mine has asked to learn but I know it will never happen, she is scared to light a gaser.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My wife does all the wok cooks and baking on the eggs.  That's where her interests lay. Just like many other areas in life, find out what she likes and just do that :smiley: 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    My wife relays the dome temp via text message. That's about it. If she wanted to learn, I'm sure she could handle it. But, the Egg is my toy. She bakes, I grill. We're fat.  It all works out.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My wife loves/lights/cooks on the Mini but no love for the Larges. Had something to do with losing her bangs and eyebrows. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    No John, I'm perfectly capable, just want her to handle the cooking so I can go fishing!
    Atlanta GA. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    No John, I'm perfectly capable, just want her to handle the cooking so I can go fishing!
    Sounds like you need a mini or MM to take fishing. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My wife doesn't care, so I don't push it. She doesn't make me watch the real housewives of _______, so we have an understanding. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just get a second wife
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My wife can light, smoke, sear, wok, bake, etc. with the egg.  Now if I can only get her to do it a 100% of the time! ;)  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Mine can tell me the dome temp! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My wife gets scared when I ask her to boil an egg...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I go to the grocery store and do 99% of the cooking.  I'm convinced that's the only reason we are still happily married 20 years into it
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    She's not allowed in the cave. .. :bawling: 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My wife doesn't get near my egg, and I like it like that. She is the master of the big clock in the house, but the eggs are all mine! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Peak
    Peak Posts: 12
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky. My wife bought me my large big green egg in August for our 30 th anniversary. Then for Xmas a minimax. Yes I do a fair amount of the cooking, but since I attended the CIA  in New York, I guess I should. At the same time she wants to learn to use the Eggs too. I am looking at equipment for the low and slow cooking on the Egg, along with pizza gear. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have convinced my wife the Egg is very difficult to use and takes very careful tending.  Disaster is lurking around every corner and if I am disturbed while warding it off our food will be ruined or the house burned down.

Now I get 7hrs every Saturday to watch football, baseball, or nap.

My moral.  Don't ruin a good thing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    This thread makes me sad!!!  I love to Egg!  I'm very new to Egging but was always the griller in my family.  I can remember having to stop grilling for two months when I was 8-9 months pregnant and just couldn't reach stuff.  
    My family thorough they were going to starve. 

Seriously, it can be intimidating.  If she wants to learn, she will.  All the wires and gizmos on any DigiQ or whatever is intimidating.  I'm still not there yet but I'm taking baby steps.  

The GrillGirl blog is also a great site for female-friendly cooks.  Worth a shot at least! 

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    HuskerMaMa will monitor and adjust if I'm in a pinch. I'm certain she is fully capable of using the BGE but, she lets me do it. She knows it's one of my favorite things to  do for her and our family. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Are you using the Cyber Q on every cook?  For general grilling, a controller isn't required.  

If doing a low and slow, you have a Cyber Q, so you can monitor and make adjustments from the lake.  

My wife stays clear.  I'll ask her to look to see what the dome temp is, but that's it.  She didn't care for the gas grill either.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I think if it's a matter of necessity she would or at least should know how to use it. A few years ago I had surgery and was out of commission egg-wise. My wife who loves my pizzas fired up our large and baked several pizzas during that time. Granted at first I would stand by giving her step by step verbal instructions, but she is a quick learner and was flying solo in no time. OTOH once I recovered she has never touched it again! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

I bought my BGE in January, the wife still hasn't even been outside to admire it.  I intend to keep it that way.

She has no complaints on what I cook though.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    SaltySam thanks for the LOL . . 

SaltySam said:
    My wife relays the dome temp via text message. That's about it. If she wanted to learn, I'm sure she could handle it. But, the Egg is my toy. She bakes, I grill. We're fat.  It all works out.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Chicklet said:
    This thread makes me sad!!!  I love to Egg!  I'm very new to Egging but was always the griller in my family.  I can remember having to stop grilling for two months when I was 8-9 months pregnant and just couldn't reach stuff.  
    My family thorough they were going to starve. 

Seriously, it can be intimidating.  If she wants to learn, she will.  All the wires and gizmos on any DigiQ or whatever is intimidating.  I'm still not there yet but I'm taking baby steps.  

The GrillGirl blog is also a great site for female-friendly cooks.  Worth a shot at least! 

m
    Don't let it make you sad. I think for most of us, the guys, we like for it to be our thing, and our wives don't mind it being our thing. 

For me it is relaxing. I love to light my egg and cook. I especially like cooking something that takes an hour or so like chicken breasts. I like to stream Netflix etc, and something about sitting outside egging, and watching tv is very relaxing to me.  

It helps take the edge off. My kids are right there with me if it is raining. If the weather is good they are by the fire or in the pool. Either way they are still right there with me.   

It helps me take the edge off and reduce stress. I think it is that way for a lot of us. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I never touched our old gas grills, my wife cooks inside, so why wouldn't she cook outside?  People would laugh when I say that, and I still don't get it.  I never had an interest in standing by the grill cooking.  That said, once we got our Egg, we donated our gas grill to our Church's metal recycling pile, and my wife doesn't do any more cooking outside.  Mostly, because all this egg cooking in our opinion is fairly technical, from lighting fires and getting the cooking temp dialed in, to knowing when and how to do indirect vs. indirect, raised, etc. etc.  So, task has fallen on my shoulders to figure it all out, she has no interest in dealing with all of the technical aspects of it.  She likes what we end up cooking, but she doesn't want to spend the time egging.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My wife leaves the grilling to me, whether it is the gas or the egg.  She has gotten things started before, and would be perfectly capable of doing it, but just isn't interested.

I do most of the cooking for us, mostly because I go into the office early, so I can leave by 3:15 and pick our daughter up at school. My wife drops off at school and is home for dinner around6:30.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD