Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finishing up 1st all nighter..

Options
sloo50
sloo50 Posts: 20
edited February 2015 in Pork
I fired up the Egg last night around 7:30.  Filled my charcoal up to the top of the bowl with Royal Oak red bag.  The Egg was holding steady at 255 degrees so I tossed on 2, 7.5 lb boneless butts @ 8:15.  

The weather was not ideal, but wasn't going to stop me! 

According to my Maverick, I was holding steady at 240 at the grate, so I went to bed around midnight and hoped for the best.  
At 6:30 am the grill temp had dropped to 200..  Pork was @ 169 degrees.  I opened up the bottom vent and the temp crawled to 205 and quit.  I opened the lid, pulled the grate and pork off, removed plate setter, and noticed I was out of fuel.
The majority of my charcoal is this size:

So, I added more charcoal, wrapped the Pork in foil and and put them back on the Egg, indirect @ 330. Within an hour the Pork was at 190.  Two hrs. later I pulled it @ 203 degrees.  

Here are the butts @ 6:30 this morning 

Here after relighting the fire

I have the butts in the cooler now.  I am hoping that I didn't ruin the pork when the temp dropped overnight.  
Any advice, or helpful hints regarding my cook would be greatly appreciated!  

Chesapeake Virginia 

Comments

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    I used royal oak a couple of times. I find that it does burn faster than other brands. I get mine from either Rona or Costco in Canada. Rona has Maple leaf and Costco has Basques
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The reason you ran out is you filled the top of the bowl.  On long cooks, don't be shy with the lump. I fill it all the way to the top of the fire ring. Almost touching the platesetter. Is that a large?  You should be able to go close to 20 hrs or more depending on lump. 

They look really good. Nice bark!  Good eats ahead. :flushed: :joy: 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You can never have to much lump in an egg.  If you think it's full add more
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You'll be okay. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • sloo50
    Options
    Final Product.  Enjoyed by all 
    Chesapeake Virginia 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @sloo50 ...where are you located? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I filled my XL to top of the fire bowl with Rockwood and cooked a brisket for 18 hours. After cool down and cleaning today, there's still half of the lump left! I could never do that with BGE lump. Lump matters
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I buy RO most times at Walmart I don't have to drive out of the way. It's open 24/7. It's half the price as everything else. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • sloo50
    Options
    henapple said:
    @sloo50 ...where are you located? 
    Chesapeake Virginia 
    Chesapeake Virginia 
  • sloo50
    Options
    The reason you ran out is you filled the top of the bowl.  On long cooks, don't be shy with the lump. I fill it all the way to the top of the fire ring. Almost touching the platesetter. Is that a large?  You should be able to go close to 20 hrs or more depending on lump. 

They look really good. Nice bark!  Good eats ahead. :flushed: :joy: 
    Got it! Need crap load more lump! 

I will not make that mistake again, I can assure you!  Thanks!!
    Chesapeake Virginia 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @sloo50....Looks like you have the message by now, but I agree with all those that say "On a long cook(overnight), fill it up to the top of the Fire Ring".  I am not an old-timer at this by any stretch, and in fact on my first overnighter with a Butt, I did exactly what you did - ran out of lump, foiled, relit, and tossed 'em back on and all was well.  So, now that I am older and wiser, on a low and slow/overnight cook, I fill the lump up to almost touching the Platesetter.  That will never fail you and as others have also said "you can never have too much lump in an Egg".  Worse comes to worse, you have lump left in your Egg when your done - consider it a preload of lump for the next cook!