Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size of brisket will fit on a MiniMax?

Going on an annual ice "fishing" (read ice drinking) trip, and I usually am responsible for bringing something from the Egg.  Well now that I have a MiniMax, I am super pumped to be able to cook something on the Egg on site.  Well, the boys have asked about a Brisket.  First thing, I have yet to cook one, so I'm nervous about that and second, I've never done a long low and slow with the MM.  But I guess I'm worried I'll buy one that too large, and end up blowing the entire thing.  So what size have you brisket doers cooked on a small/minimax?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    how about you measure the egg then buy a brisket that will fit on it?  Or, cut it down to size if you can't find one that small?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Greeno55 said:
    Going on an annual ice "fishing" (read ice drinking) trip, and I usually am responsible for bringing something from the Egg.  Well now that I have a MiniMax, I am super pumped to be able to cook something on the Egg on site.  Well, the boys have asked about a Brisket.  First thing, I have yet to cook one, so I'm nervous about that and second, I've never done a long low and slow with the MM.  But I guess I'm worried I'll buy one that too large, and end up blowing the entire thing.  So what size have you brisket doers cooked on a small/minimax?

Make sure you use the stand. Otherwise you'll have a big expensive hole to fish through. Where ya goin'?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2015
    Here's an older thread where @R2Egg2Q did one on his small. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142879/packer-brisket-on-a-small-egg

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Greeno55 said:

Make sure you use the stand. Otherwise you'll have a big expensive hole to fish through. Where ya goin'?
    Haha!  The Egg will definitely be on dry land.  A buddy has a place just west of Sudbury.  Nice little jump for me, but they're coming from Ottawa.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Greeno55
    Zippylip said:
    how about you measure the egg then buy a brisket that will fit on it?  Or, cut it down to size if you can't find one that small?
    Well that's the obvious answer.  But there are some brisket pros on here who might be able to offer some advice. 
  • Greeno55
    Hmmm, an entire 10 pounder.  Wow.  I'm guessing I'd have to go a bit smaller on the MM since the dome isn't as high.  But great to see how to fit a larger one on a small grill.  Thanks bud!
  • Zippylip
    Greeno55 said:
    Zippylip said:
    Well that's the obvious answer.  But there are some brisket pros on here who might be able to offer some advice. 
    most often in life the obvious answer is obvious for a reason
    happy in the hut
  • Greeno55 said:
    Greeno55 said:

Haha!  The Egg will definitely be on dry land.  A buddy has a place just west of Sudbury.  Nice little jump for me, but they're coming from Ottawa.

I just booked a spring trip to North Bay. Few morons and myself.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    A 8# Packer will fit. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Break a brick in half and wrap in foil and drape the brisket over it. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Zippylip

I find it hard to believe using yourself as a standard you're actually able to find morons.
    happy in the hut
  • Greeno55

I lived in North Bay for a year of school.  It's a pretty fun place if you like the outdoors.  Are you going late enough in the spring to get some good fishing done on the big lake?
  • Greeno55
    A 8# Packer will fit. 
    Have you cooked one yet on the Max?  I'll be using the PS Woo.  If I fill'r right to the top, should I get 10 hours out of it?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited February 2015
    I think the challenge on the MM with an 8-lb brisket or so is going to be time.  The MM does not have as much room as the small for lump.  You're going to need to reload mid-cook, which is not ideal.  You might get ten hours with the right rig and lump, but I think it's pushing it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Greeno55
    You're going to need to reload mid-cook, which is not ideal.
    Thanks John, that is my main concern.  It's 4 guys, I'm starting to think getting something in the 6 pound range is more manageable in the MM.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I'd do a pork butt instead.  It will be tough to find a 8 lb whole packer.  You could just cook a flat but you run the risk of drying it out.   The best part of the brisket is the point, and this coming from an ex-ice fisherman.  Can't do that anymore in TX. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Sure you wont find a "whole packer" but you can get a cut with point and flat. See the 4 lb cook , its possible with very good results assuming.u can find a good piece to work with.
    Seattle, WA
  • FWIW, I'm trying APL's burnt ends recipe with garlic right now on the MM.  Recipe calls for two brisket points, each 3-4 lbs.  I think it's do-able.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • When I first got my mini I did a 7lb pork shoulder on it . I had to add some lump but no problem with the pork so you would think a 10lb brisket would go on a mm
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • Greeno55 said:

I lived in North Bay for a year of school.  It's a pretty fun place if you like the outdoors.  Are you going late enough in the spring to get some good fishing done on the big lake?

Yes it's actually after the 21st of June.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55

Yes it's actually after the 21st of June.
    Right on.  Gives me plenty of time to warn to community!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW, I'm trying APL's burnt ends recipe with garlic right now on the MM.  Recipe calls for two brisket points, each 3-4 lbs.  I think it's do-able.  
    This sounds like a great idea for the MM.  If you can find brisket points only it seems it would be a good fit.  You could always buy a couple of packers and cut off the points and save the flats for making chili or burgers.

I wonder how these would turn out if you cooked them ahead of time and then refrigerated and transported them.  You could just throw them on the egg in a pan for 30-45 minutes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.