Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil or not to foil...

Options
I've got some baby backs on the BGE right now and I've typically done the 2-2-1 with success, just curious how many out there foil their ribs?  

Successful tips for the baby backs are appreciated, I know everybody has their own method and it can depend on the peoples taste.  
Houston, TX - LBGE

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    No foil for me. Just let them rock on to the finish line. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I have not mastered ribs on the egg yet.  The best I have made so far were last week.  A little more than 5 hours indirect at 225F with just a dry rub.  I've try foil and did not like it...  Next time will be closer to 6 hours.

Options
    Nope
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It depends. Usually I don't foil at all and just let them ride until they are finished. Other times I will foil for a portion of the cook to help things along. Other times I will do it to add a specific flavor during the foiling stage.

In other words, try different methods and see what you like. :smile: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    No
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    No foil for ribs!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • jstnezell
    Options
    DMW said:
    It depends. Usually I don't foil at all and just let them ride until they are finished. Other times I will foil for a portion of the cook to help things along. Other times I will do it to add a specific flavor during the foiling stage.

I've done em different every time and they're always good, it doesn't seem like you can do em wrong on the egg.  I like mine fall-off the bone and foil seems to get them there quicker.  
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @jstnezell-I am in the no foil no spritz camp and let the BGE do its thing but you captured the essence of the cook-"it can depend on people's taste".  Tomorrow I will be foiling and saucing and all the other active cook processes to thank a guy for helping me out of a weather related jam.  I ask how he liked his St. Louis ribs and I got the "fall off the bone and sauced answer".  So away we go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    For ribs foiling will give you a softer fall off the bone results. If you want a little pull to the meat. 

If your doing more then one rack, try it both ways then compare.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jstnezell said:
    DMW said:

I've done em different every time and they're always good, it doesn't seem like you can do em wrong on the egg.  I like mine fall-off the bone and foil seems to get them there quicker.  
    If you like fall off the bone, I would go with foil. If you want competition-style bite off the bone, then foil is optional based on how things are rolling.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I like to foil them - dry rub at 250f, then wrap with pineapple slices on the rib side and down, then open them back up, wet mop them every 15 minutes, finish with salt and pepper.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    About the only time I foil is when I'm cooking completley frozen meat. Short of this I do not foil. I will gladly share my thoughts and reasons for foiling frozen meats when time allows if you would like.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Omg...is he back? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    Omg...is he back? 
    Not yet Uncle Apple. Just peeking in. Should be back in full swing before next weekend though.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    No foil. Ever. Except when I did 8 racks on the large. Then I had to foil on the gasser to hold them while I cooked 2 spatches. Don't recommend it. Hurts the bark. Degrades the bite. 

2 racks?  No foil.
    3 racks?  No foil.
    4 racks?  No foil. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I've done it both ways and my best ribs are done with foil, usually 1-2 hours in the middle of the cook. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Do what works for you. ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    henapple said:
    Do what works for you. ...
    Best advice right here
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Completely depends on time constraints. I like them best if I do not foil but do not feel like I really lose much when I need to hurry things along and do foil them.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I tried making with foil, but decided I like them better without.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like to foil.  I notice my ribs are more moist when I foil.
    However, I cook my ribs different than the average bear.  I pre-slice the rack into individual ribs.  This does make them more prone to drying out than an un-cut rack, but it also exposes more meat surface to absorb that smoky goodness, that rub goodness, and of course my sauce goodness for glazing.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I usually foil them for a couple hours to help retain moisture and increase tenderness.  Following the foil stage, I'll put them back on naked, usually with my sauce. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @SGH I for one would definitely like that when you get the chance. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Sometimes I cut them, then sauce them, then  throw on for about 20 minutes to get all sauced up. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Guess I'm lazy- turn out great without it and it's a pain to wrap them.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • captjamie
    Options
    I use a 3-2-1 method. The "2" is the foil. I like a heavy basting of sauce/ butter prior to wrap. When I take them out for the "1", I'll re-baste and put back on to carmelize and get a little bark. Works for me!
    Life's short on this big rock.... Enjoy while you can!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    No foil and NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jstnezell
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, next rack I'm gonna skip the foil and see how I like it. This happened last night, went to do the bend test and and it broke clean in half... 

Houston, TX - LBGE