Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the egg going a new way (to me) - instantly

Options
Opened the wood stove and took a good scoop of red hot coals

Then carried them out in the ash bucket:

Dumped the coals in, and bingo - egg was lit!

This was a first for me. Certainly the easiest way I ever got the egg going. But this way will only be used in the heart of winter for obvious reasons. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Works for me too, fortunate enough to have a longer window of opportunity for that trick.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Seems to work
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Certainly was the easiest way I ever did it.  Best way to do it when it is 21F out and a 11F wind chill with snow coming down now.
    Large and MiniMax

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now I need to go buy a wood stove :) 

Seriously though,  I'm yet to find  something simpler than a HF weedburner.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You still need to wait for the egg to stabilize at temp and also to burn off the VOCs (assuming you're adding new lump on top of the coals). I've been lighting my mini with an oiled paper towel lately. Extremely pleased with this method. 

Plus us my woodstove is now in storage out in my garage and hasn't been fired up in a good 20 years LOL. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think a wood stove is the only lighting method I don't currently own...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Cool, just like in the olden days, John-boy. =)
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I was pressed for time with the weather coming in, so right before I went out, I was going to throw a few more logs on the fire.  I opened the top to the stove and stood there. "Huh... how about that...."  
    Can not believe I did not think about over the last few years.  Anyway-  dumped the coals in the egg, set the bottom vent for what I would think 275 is, and went shopping.  An hour later got back and there she was sitting at 300.  Perfect.  Going to use the same method tomorrow
    Large and MiniMax

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Outstanding!  Gotta try it.  This time of year, I burn my wood stove almost every day, so I have a plentiful supply of coals.  Also have an Ash Dragon, so it would be easy to move the coals to the Egg.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Looks great...Wife just said "FORGET IT"..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....