Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just got our BGE and had some wonderful steaks on it last night. Tonight I want to try roasting a chicken on the vertical roaster. How long should I cook it and at what temp? I plan to throw some sweet wood blend chips on the coals. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Carolyn,
    I would spatchcock that little ole chick.
    I tried the vertical roaster a few times when I first got my egg but I find that that my entire family loves chicken more when I spatchcock it on the egg.

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Carolyn,[p]Just treat your egg much like your oven. If you have a roasted chicken recipe that you like in the oven, duplicate the times/temps in the egg, and it'll turn out better than it ever did in the oven. Since the egg regulates temperature better than your oven does, though, expect that your chicken will finish a little sooner at the same temp than it does indoors.[p]Also, go easy on the smoke for chicken, easy to overdo it. I like pecan, cherry, peach or orange wood with chicken. I would avoid oak and hickory, but that's just my preference. Good luck![p]Here's one I did recently (400 degrees, about 55 minutes, 4.75 lb bird. dusted with salt/pepper/garlic powder, and sprayed with oj/butter mix every 15 mins or so. it was good.):[p]
    K7_Chicken.jpg
    [p][p]Rich
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    gildedchicken.jpg
    <p />Carolyn,[p]The way I do vertical chicken is get the cooker good and hot and stable at 325 - 350. Coat the chicken with your favorite rub.
    Place a small round of foil (slightly larger than the footprint of the chicken) on the grill where the chicken will be placed... this will keep the bottom of the chicken from burning.
    Make sure the smoke venting out of the top is hardly visible and cook an hour and a half without opening the lid. Then check the chicken by pulling on a wing or drumstick... if they want to pull off easily, the chicken is done.
    This method works for me every time with a medium to large meaty chicken.
    Good Luck![p]John

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    sitter2.jpg
    <p />Carolyn,
    I do chicken and turkey the same way. Just for different times.
    Chicken 350 for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
    11lb. turkey suprisingly at 350 for about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours.
    Turkey.jpg

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Looks perfect. I've tried most of the fowl setters. Don't like the beer can because of the metal & paints, the ceramic ones prohibit air flow.[p]Bought a set of Spaneks years ago & use them for all fowl. Our preference is the capon.[p]The advantage of the Spanek is that the bird cooks from the inside & the outside as hot air flows internally & extermally.[p]Besides, we don't capture fluids from the bird. I let them drain.[p]I cook @ 250 with a breast thermometer & anothe @ grid level.[p]When the breast temp reaches 170, I wrap the bird in film 905, place it in a styrofoam container to rest & stabilize.[p]What I enjoy about smoking foods, it that we all have our preferred techniques that result in a product that pleases out guests. That is all that matters.[p]

• dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 14
    Options
    jake42,[p]Did you cook these direct? I cooked mine indirect for 1 1/2 hours at 350 and it still was not totally done at tne leg joint. I had a breast internal temp on 169 degrees. Any suggestions? It was moist but not sure if totally done![p]Thanks [p]
    David