Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice Needed

Options
I bought my LBGE last week and because of snow and crappy weather, tomorrow is the first time I can fire up the egg. Any suggestions for a first cook that can be done in under 10 hours? Ribs seem like the obvious choice since they are roughly 6 hours. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Seems look your onto something...enjoy and welcome!!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    There is sooooo much that you can cook.  Most chicken dishes take 1-1.5 hours.  Don't forget pork tenderloin, steaks, burgers, kabobs, pizza,...  Ribs are a good low and slow.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Blassiter
    Options
    I thought about some nice thick steaks but I have read that first couple cooks should be below 350. Is this correct?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spatchcock! It's a right of passage. Easy, under an hour, 375 temp, delicious, lots of options to season/flavor. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you're worried about the "curing period" for the gasket. Do a roast or something for a couple of hours and you'll be good. Otherwise, a rib cook at 275 for around 5 hours works too. I think I did a pork loin with my first egg but when I bought my large I did steaks or burgers at 500 or 600. Gasket is still fine.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ...and don't forget to double check the calibration of your thermometer. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Unless you have experience using someone else's Egg I'd say spatchcock chicken or burgers for the first venture while you get used to temperature control. Pretty simple cooks and not a high cost cook either.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Depending on what size butts you have at your grocer you can do in 10 hours. 8lb butt can be turbo'd for great results or if you have 5-6 pounders ouncanndo at 250-275 in less than 10 hours. Don't forget to pick up some egg roll wraps for leftovers
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Lovin the spatchcock! BB Ribs a good choice too though! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Yes, Eggcelsior, the "curing period" is what I am concerned about.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• mahenryak
    Options
    Also, I just posted this in another discussion, but probably worth repeating since it will be your first cook...  My comment would be that managing your smoke is as important as managing you time and temps.  There is a lot of commentary to be found on this site regarding this topic.  Recapping, be sure to allow some time for the VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) to burn off before the actual cook.  Basically, you want the bad stuff that is unhealthy and that can add an undesirable flavor to your food to have a chance to leave the Egg before adding any items to be cooked.  Simple but important principle, IMHO. 

• Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks, mahenryak! That seems to be a poplular suggestion and one I will be very cautious about. Probably will be too cautious and wait much longer than I probably should. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    You will soon find that snow, freezing rain, rain is no reason to not fire it up.  I have twice this week and it has been in the teens/single digits plus snow. My last cook, it rained all night when I did my last brisket a few weeks ago.  Every day is a day to BGe
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    Probably will be too cautious and wait much longer than I probably should. 
    You're most welcome, and a little patience in this arena is sure to pay dividends.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Steaks are still an option at lower temps via reverse sear...well, minus the sear.  I like to buy a big sirloin steak, and roast it at 300-325 indirect, until it hits an internal temp of about 125.  I let them rest for a few minutes, then slice thin for sandwiches.  The same method applies for Tri Tip as well.  The sear adds a crust on the outside that adds flavor, but by no means is required, especially if you're going to cut the meat. 

For or what it's worth, my first cook was beer can chicken, cooked at 350.  I was absolutely blown away at the flavor.  

Good luck!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I would go with ribs. I cooked a brisket and pork butt for my first cook. Go big or go home. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Blassiter,  spare ribs can be done in 3 to 4 hours if cooked at around 275.  Baby backs 4 to 4.5.  Burgers was my first cook then chicken. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Baby back ribs were my first cook, it was fun, easy and they came out great. That cook was one year ago today. The temp outside was 0 with a -10 wind chill. Today temp is -20 with no wind and I did pizza it was awesome. Don`t let crappy weather keep you from Egging.

Good luck,my Egging Brother!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • mahenryak
    Options
    MeTed said:
    Don`t let crappy weather keep you from Egging.

Good luck,my Egging Brother!
    Couldn't agree more.  In fact, living in Alaska, that's one of the thing that drew me to the egg.  The fact that while most of the folks where I live continue to view BBQ as a seasonal prospect, I have been able to enjoy the benefits of year-round BBQ-ing.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I always do chicken for first cooks because its cheap and if you screw it up, not a big deal!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We probably got 1/8" of snow today. Didn't let it stop me!  B)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Nothing additional to offer about the first cook but will suggest giving this site a good look once you have time:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Chances are that the answers to many of your non-cooking questions can be found in the site.  Enjoy! BTW-his recipe section describes the famous "spatchcock "chix along with several other eggcellent cooks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    FWIW I did steaks as my first cook then read the directions (oops). My gasket lasted about 6-8 months then I blew it out on a pizza cook or clean burn. I ended up having to replace my base by the time I got around to getting a new gasket. Fried that one too. Bought a new one from @RRP, by the time I got around to installing it I discovered another crashed base. Waiting till spring to replace it. Il eventually get around to installing the RRP gasket, but I digress, ribs would be great for a first cook, that's what I'm planning on for tomorrow.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I thinkin a Peppered Stout Beef or any other form of pulled beef.  Low & slow for 3ish hrs them foiled or panned @ 350 for 3ish hrs.  Great foods that might you forget about pork.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Decided to stay with slow cook to break it in. Bought a rack of ribs and a 6 pound pork butt. Both will cook at same temp and not too far off with time. Will be standing on sheet of ice and temps around 7 degrees when this cook begins. Is it morning yet?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You'll forget about the ice once the smoke starts rollin.  Good luck & remember we are here to help if you need it at time during your cooks.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Enjoy, you'll be just fine.  Remember, don't cook to time or even temp.  The meat will let you know when it's done.  This is important.
    When the ribs pass the "bend" test and the pork butt "probes" like buttah, then you're good to go.  Some temps are good to be used as a guideline, but ultimately the meat will let you know!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Blassiter
    Options
    Is 225 the best temp for this cook?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
     6 pound butt at 225 will take more tha 6 hours. Probably more like 10. Also, 225 is a hard temp to hold. Can be done but it will be tricky
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'd probably roll it around 250 at a minimum.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio