Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need some herb

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
I'm tired of buying a huge basil bundle to see 90% go to waste. I need some advice on growing my own. All together, separate, indoor, outdoor. ...

@jeepster47....if you'd like, start another thread and help us rubes out.... ;)
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just put basil in a pot in the sun and it will grow itself.  If your grocery doesn't carry them with root balls, you should be able to root a bunch by leaving the cut end in water for a week or so.
    NOLA
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Clip the bottoms, place in a mason jar or other such vessel with about 1 inch of water and cover with a large plastic baggie keep it on the counter. This makes a greenhouse like thing and the basil will last about 2 weeks. 

Green onions: chop to size, place in baggie, put in freezer.

Mice repellent: pack fresh mint into (around) plumbing openings in walls and floors.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Henapple see my thread on gardening. Herbs are easy and great to have around. Plant rosemary and thyme. They come back every year. Then mix in some basil, mint and whatever else annually.  I started rosemary and thyme seeds in doors a few weeks ago. They take a long time to grow but will plant some in pots and some in yard for a nice supply. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    Options
    @Chubbs‌. .year around? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really miss our fresh herbs during the winter months and I hate buying the bundles just to watch it waste just like your saying.  <Br>  During the summer months we have about a 12' round herb garden that we plant basil,thyme,Thai basil,oregano,sage & Rosemary.  We also have an Eucalyptus plants that helps some kinda of insects away. We had fresh rosemary until the 2nd hard frost. Those plants are very hardy. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm, "Herbs for Rubes" doesn't have the correct ring ... think I'll wait until the herbs come up and are being used 'cuz "Rub Rankings for Rubes" would work.

Oh darn, now I get it, you're pushing me to branch out ... "Herb Hierarchy for Hillbilly's" ... that does sound good doesn't it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Hey Hen -- I usually start seeds in late March or April, inside. I get seed starting trays for a few bucks at HD (they've got the clear plastic tops) and jiffy pellets. Each reconstituted pellet gets a seed or two. Then they go under a fluorescent light fixture on a timer to be on about 18 hrs a day. I don't have any warming system. I check every day and when they germinate I take them out of the closed tray and put them directly under the light. 

Oregano, thyme, basil have worked for me. Rosemary I haven't grown from seed. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited February 2015
    Options
    basil will not grow in my dry coal fired house in winter. grows 3 feet high out doors in summer in the ground. now when i cant find herbs in the supermarket i go to the local green house, ten bucks will get you a tree of basil already in a pot. indoors for the winter i have bay, rosemary, and keifer lime (you use the keifer leaves for cooking). if you do any types of stews, get a bay plant, in a pot it grows into a big shrub and for the life of me i dont understand why people buy the dry stuff, you cant understand bay til you use it fresh. you can also freeze that basil, it turns black frozen but tastes like fresh in tomato sauce type dishes
    weber kettle at camp with herbs

bay, rosemary, keifer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/008-32.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    Options
    Hmmm, "Herbs for Rubes" doesn't have the correct ring ... think I'll wait until the herbs come up and are being used 'cuz "Rub Rankings for Rubes" would work.

Oh darn, now I get it, you're pushing me to branch out ... "Herb Hierarchy for Hillbilly's" ... that does sound good doesn't it?
    Herb help for helpless, hopeless henapple? 
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2015
    Options
    this pbucket/ vanilla thing sucks

fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I had a discussion with a guy on here awhile back that had some crazy indoor plants with the aerogardens. A couple of those and you could have all the herbs you want year around. You are handy you could also build a 4'*4' flood table and buy a 400 watt hetal halide light with a hood and you should be able to grow all the herbs you could ever need with that much space.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Better yet.....grow something with street value.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We grow basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, mint, thyme and sage. All in pots. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I would like to have a small aero garden for the winter months but wife would never go for it.  She likes empty countertops. 
    http://www.aerogarden.com/aerogardens.html
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lit said:
    I had a discussion with a guy on here awhile back that had some crazy indoor plants with the aerogardens. A couple of those and you could have all the herbs you want year around. You are handy you could also build a 4'*4' flood table and buy a 400 watt hetal halide light with a hood and you should be able to grow all the herbs you could ever need with that much space.
    i have to look into that, im taking all the metal halides out of my high bays at work and going LED. maybe take 2 of the halides home. gives me an idea to craig list the rest off to home gardeners =)
    fukahwee maine

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Herb???  DUUUUUDE!!!!  Don't bogart the Cheetos, man.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use Aerogardens inside year round. If you are looking for one, check Costco. They usually have a lower price than on the Aerogarden site. The LED models are really nice. Those haven't been available that long, but I have three of them and like them much better than the CFL bulbs.

You can grow just about anything in them that you can plant in a container.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Herbs are the only thing my black thumb cannot kill.  Oregano, Rosemary, Bay laurel, Chives and many others seem to thrive under my care.  
    +1 for the Aerogarden.  Chives have reseeded for the last three years in that container.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    SWMBO uses a tower garden .. fresh herbs all year round!

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @henapple  I use large pots to grow herbs.  I just buy from my local greenhouse.  Usually around a $1-2 a piece.  Makes it easier than growing from seeds before hand.  

I do chives, thyme, dill, oregano, and basil (this was planted in the beds actually).  I want to add a few more pots or make another bed just for herbs.  Look into square foot gardening, it is a neat theory that works well.  

Picture sucks, but you can get the idea. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    Options
    @tarheelmatt ....looks good. I've gardened all my life. ...just not indoors. Do you freeze for the winter? 
    Joan. ..saw some sketchy reviews on the aerogarden....you like it though. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    henapple said:
    @tarheelmatt ....looks good. I've gardened all my life. ...just not indoors. Do you freeze for the winter? 
    Joan. ..saw some sketchy reviews on the aerogarden....you like it though. 
    I do not freeze.  I heard though you can chop and place in ice cube trays and place in a freezer bag though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    Options
    I saw a website that recommended the Evo and herbs frozen in an ice tray.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It is sorta cheatin...but I have been using these:

http://www.gourmetgarden.com/en

They keep indefinitely in the fridge.  They are really good when using them in a recipe or, as a rub, or a board sauce.  

It is pretty much just herbs in oil so you could probably do the same thing yourself with fresh herbs you buy or grow.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure you keister it when traveling. You can never be too careful.

• henapple
    Options
    Exit only...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Herb???  isn't he with the Tijuana Brass??
  • henapple
    Options
    Damn...you're my age. Know Trinity Lopez?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    henapple said:
    Damn...you're my age. Know Trinity Lopez?
    Hmmm .. is he Trini Lopez's brother?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    I saw a website that recommended the Evo and herbs frozen in an ice tray.

I don't think EVOO will freeze. We have tried freezing in water before and it worked well. Fill half the ice cube tray (meaning halfway to the top) and put the herbs in each well. Freeze overnight. Then fill the wells all the way up and freeze. The herbs will be frozen in the middle of each cube. Then pop them out of the tray and keep in a Ziploc in the freezer.

I found these at Kroger 1-2 weeks ago. Not quite the same as having fresh herbs, but they work well. I used their lightly dried basil for the V-day lobster tails. Good for 4 weeks after you crack the seal.

http://www.gourmetgarden.com/en/product/363/lightly-dried-pots

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.