Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another OT Geek post - geek advice needed

Options
ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
Need some advice from all you egghead engineers...

So, for the last 8 years been working in network and data security in healthcare (firewalls, security architecture, content gateways, event correlation, etc) and have come to the conclusion that while I fell into this and make a good living, its not what I really want to do for the rest of my life (right now).  So now at the tender age of 34 I'm taking advantage of the GI Bill and am going to quit my job and start school full time.

Initially I was leaning towards engineering design, because I want to make things, and pick up a smattering of EE, programming, arduino/raspberry pi skills, and maybe some fabricating along the way.  But the engineering programs are obviously extremely time intensive and I want to branch out and do some other things too.  Take a few creative writing classes, some political classes...  hell, there are even backpacking and snowboarding classes I want to take.  So, my other option is to burn through the requirements for MIS/BIS degree which most of it I could test out of, and then use all the extra elective time to take those esoteric classes along with getting some exposure to all the engineering stuff.

I now it comes down to a personal decision, but just looking for any insight anyone has.

As a side note, started a precision agriculture business that's just kind of waiting in the wings so to speak for the FAA to finalize rules allowing drones for commercial use, which looks like its going to happen next winter, so that will hopefully become my primary source of income even after I get done with school, so not necessarily looking to get employed as an engineer anywhere, just want the knowledge to actually make some of the ideas constantly floating around my head.
Pentwater, MI

Comments