Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking About Getting This

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    by all accounts theyre great 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Tomorrow ACE is having a 20% off everything sale!  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Tomorrow ACE is having a 20% off everything sale!  

That's good to know.   It may be one where I ask for forgiveness on this one maybe. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The only reason I want one, for small cooks, I would not use as much Lump...but then I calculated, that's 150 bags of lump... I just wouldn't use it that much.  

There better things to spend the $$$ in my life...but I do want one!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Ladeback69
    The only reason I want one, for small cooks, I would not use as much Lump...but then I calculated, that's 150 bags of lump... I just wouldn't use it that much.  

There better things to spend the $$$ in my life...but I do want one!
    Small cooks during the week is what I want it for.   There Is only 3 in my family and it would be perfect during the week.   It would use less lump, get to temp faster and cool down faster.  I don't really need another big smoker, I also have a WSM if needed for big cooks. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    I have a black one. You wont be disappointed especially if you can get 20% off. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited February 2015
    Everything in the store on sale? Rockwood charcoal? 
  • Ladeback69
    Well, I decided to wait and pay off some bills that need to get taken care of first.  I could have had a red one for $360+tax.  Maybe in a few months or for my birthday.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    @smokeyj, thank you.  It's on Amazon for $209.  I may be able to sell that easier.  I only want it for direct quick cooks and that looks like it might work.

http://www.amazon.com/Kahuna-Grills-Charcoal-Smoker-Grill/dp/B00MXC9GA8

Kansas City, Mo.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    That Kahuna looks like it's the size of a mini BGE. The dimensions appear to be of the total external assembled product. For another $85 you could have a real mini with a stainless steel grate if you went to an egg fest. 

Just saying...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ladeback69
    minniemoh said:
    That Kahuna looks like it's the size of a mini BGE. The dimensions appear to be of the total external assembled product. For another $85 you could have a real mini with a stainless steel grate if you went to an egg fest. 

Just saying...

Its actually closer to the size of the Mini Max, the gate is 13.5" in diameter and 23" tall.  Last I checked the mini was $400 and this half of that.  I would like a mini or a MM, but I think this will do what I want.

Here is a write I found by an egg and Komodo Joe owner.

Great "PORTABLE" Grill

DawgH8er from Cumming, GA– Verified Buyer

It's heavy yes, but still portable. This is a nice entry into the Kamodo Grill market and is a fraction of the cost of the Green EGG or its knockoffs. This bad boy will rocket to temps well above 750F for searing steaks and a quick bluefin tuna sear owing to its small size. The cooking area allows for two descent size strip steaks or 4 burgers, or 4 chicken breasts. It uses very minimal lump charcoal. Holds heat incredibly well.

The support nest is sufficient but can be wobbly. There is a side hinge that locks the lid open and it can be cumbersome. I built a small wooden stand for it for about 30 bucks worth of lumber and screws. It is great for camping and tailgating and has created much grill envy among friends onlookers. I own a BGE and a Kamodo Joe, and with the exception of the hinge, this product works as good or better at a fraction of the cost. I have even smoked a small pork butt in this thing and it was superb, but works best for burgers and steak. To be honest, I use it for my family of four as my primary grill now(burgers and small steaks), and the large Kamodo Joe sits idle, it is just easier to and faster to temp, plus I use a lot less coals. 

Did I mention this thing is a fraction of the cost of the other guys! To bad it only comes in my most hated colors (red ad black).

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    I found the Kahuna Grill for $169.99.  You can't beat that price for an egg type for that size and red they say, but orange. http://www.totallyfurniture.com/rta-kahuna-kh-13r.html?ref=gs

Kansas City, Mo.
  • minniemoh
    edited February 2015
    @Ladeback69 - please re-read my post. I said that you could buy a mini at an egg fest for $300.

Also, no where in the information on this egg imposter does it say that the GRATE size is 13.5 inches. If you look at the company's website, it says the packaging is only 14.5 inches wide/deep so there's no way it can be the same size as a mini max or it wouldn't even fit in the box. My SBGE measures about 15.5 inches across at the outside of the ceramic. (which is the same size across as a MMBGE)

The review that you shared says it holds 4 burgers or two steaks. 

I'm just saying that something here doesn't add up. If you buy it and find out I'm wrong and that it is a 13.5 inch grid. I will owe you a beer. 

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you were looking for a mini OR a mini max. I thought you wanted something the same size as the KJ Jr as posted at the start of this thread. If you want a mini, this one looks like it would work. Best of luck with your purchase. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ladeback69
    minniemoh said:
    @Ladeback69 - please re-read my post. I said that you could buy a mini at an egg fest for $300.

Also, no where in the information on this egg imposter does it say that the GRATE size is 13.5 inches. If you look at the company's website, it says the packaging is only 14.5 inches wide/deep so there's no way it can be the same size as a mini max or it wouldn't even fit in the box. My SBGE measures about 15.5 inches across at the outside of the ceramic. (which is the same size across as a MMBGE)

The review that you shared says it holds 4 burgers or two steaks. 

I'm just saying that something here doesn't add up. If you buy it and find out I'm wrong and that it is a 13.5 inch grid. I will owe you a beer. 

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you were looking for a mini OR a mini max. I thought you wanted something the same size as the KJ Jr as posted at the start of this thread. If you want a mini, this one looks like it would work. Best of luck with your purchase. 
    This is where I ordered it from for $169 with shipping it is $199.98.  The Dimensions: 13.25L x 13.2.5W x 23.75H, now that is out side so it would be in between a MM and a Mine, but for the price it should serve for what I want to do.  Just quick direct cooks during the week.  The wife approved it so I went with it.  I also like the color too.  I would have preferred a small or MM, but the wife was not going to budge on them and this should save time and lump during the week.  I will test it out and do a no post after I have cooked with it for a while.  It looks kind of looks like the KJ Jr.  I also haven't been able to sell the wife on going to an Eggfest and the closes one to me won't be tell September.

http://www.totallyfurniture.com/rta-kahuna-kh-13r.html?ref=gs

Kansas City, Mo.
  • minniemoh
    Sorry for all of my confusion in my previous post. 

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm sure it will work well for you. It's nice to have a smaller cooker for those quick weeknight meals for sure. Plus the Mrs. approved so you don't have to beg for forgiveness! HA! Good for you on your purchase and I hope it does what you want it to.

I hope you can get her to a fest sometime. They are really fun events and the people are as great as the food.  

P.S. - I see that this thread is no longer bumping (I'm sure due to the content).
    eggAddict from MN!