Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Detroit; Rock City? May be moving there; advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2015
    Options

It might be warmer here.  Hell, Michigan.  A real place.

Flint, Michigan
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Yes it would be hard to leave my drinking and Egging buddy @onelostnspace but we have think of all options. Yes she would be at Wayne State and I would be looking for something in the audiovisual field. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I'm from oak park. Run like hell
  • stevesails
    Options
    I live in walled lake. Northwest suburb.   I rarely go into city.   And wouldn't let my kids go to Wayne state after spending a day there. Campus is OK but be very careful after you cross the street.   I am moving to Greenville SC.  

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Bustersdad
    Options
    Have lived in Detroit area most of imy life...spend a lot of time downtown watching Red Wings, Tigers and Lions games.  Wayne States campus is as safe as any other university.   Ann Arbor and East Lansing close by as well.

Chances sre you will pick a suburban area to live and commute to the city.  Looks worse than it is...like any city need to know the good and bad areas of the city
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I somewhat agree with Bustersdad except I don't think Wayne State is as safe as U-M Ann Arbor or Michigan State in East Lansing.  That being said, my daughter attends U-M Flint which is in downtown Flint.  The campus is ok, but don't wander off.  Kinda a description of Wayne State.  

Let us know what happens.  If you move here, I would really like to buy you and your wife and family some food and drink.
    Flint, Michigan
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thanks for offer @Fred19Flintstone .  Very welcoming of you.  We have lots to think about in the next two weeks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My .02. My Elder daughter and her husband live just north of Detroit. They were/are Goth/Punk. Look scary, but really are not. Tho' my SIL did chase a car down the street after it hit his car, and dragged the drunk out of the window, and put a boot on his head till the police got there. They love Detroit, but they do say there are places you just do not go to at night.

As above, I've known places where the campus was safe, but don't cross the street, and if you hear gun fire, get down and/or run.
  • pbouc
    pbouc Posts: 1
    Options
    I just moved from the Detroit area and can honestly say the suburbs are great but as far as the city goes, unlike any other metropolitan area you need to be aware of the good and bad. I lived in the north suburbs for 22 years and visited Detroit for events, restaurants, nightlife, concerts etc. and never had any issues. The area where Wayne State is located and the midtown area is going through a rebirth and is very popular for the 20 something crowd. Michigan is a beautiful state with a lot to offer as well as many destinations to visit and enjoy. Don't let the prospect of the bad press of the city of Detroit sway your decision to move to the surrounding areas and enjoy the area and the state. Good luck in your decision!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ive lived in and near micro war zones, no desire to live near a big one =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Markzzz
    Options
    Wow....lots of negative posts about Detroit and Wayne State.  While there are a lot of areas in Detroit with crime, Midtown is the safest and has a lot to offer.  Wayne States campus just happens to be in Midtown.  The restaurant and bar scene is blossoming in this area and as a graduate from WSU, I have never experienced any crime or violence.  As far as WSU being a school where people go to because they can't go anywhere else, this is false.  I chose to go to WSU and I have a pretty damn good job and career because of it.  As far as places to live in the Metro Detroit area:  Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Grosse Pointe, and Royal Oak are all great places to live.  Michigan is not such a bad place to live.  Winters are long but you do get to experience all four seasons.