Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Tri-Tip

Options
I want to try something different this weekend. Please share your experience with tri-tip roast. Is it really a reasonable substitute for prime rib? Sear first then lo and slow? Finish temp? Tough? TIA.
Laurens,SC

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is anywhere close to prime rib (other than coming from the same animal).  I like Santa Maria style with chimichurri sliced thin across the grain.  Yum.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jstnezell
    Options
    I'm doing one to tonight for the first time, I plan on low and slow 225*-250* till it gets to 130* IT, then cranking the heat to sear and get to med rare.  Then slice and serve, I posted about it the other day and there were a few who said the like the tri-tip as much as prime rib and not just because of the price point.
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Last 2.5 pounder i did was reverse seared and it turned out fantastic.  
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• mick7607
    Options
    Did you marinate? Dry rub?
    Laurens,SC
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Dry rub for me.  Think this one had Obeques Beef rub
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Disclaimer: I've done a grand total of two now. They turned out delicious. I did a dry rub and grilled direct, flipping every few minutes, until the thickest part was as rare as I wanted. About 122-125 for my taste. Let it rest, cut thinly across the grain. 

Its more like a flank steak than a prime rib. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    +1 to GATraveller - I would not consider tri-tp anything close to prime rib, but I do think it's exceptionally delicious.

To me a tri-tip is sort of like a roast that needs to be prepared like a steak. Reverse sear or sous vide are the best ways I've found to cook tri-tip, unless you have a deep pit (and if you're not in the San Joaquin valley you almost certainly don't).

If you overcook it (which is easy to do) it'll be quite dry. If you slice it wrong it will be the toughest thing you've ever eaten. If you nail it, it will be tender, juicy, flavorful and beautiful!

Look for a plump, thick tri-tip if you can. Often they'll be quite flat, and these are obviously easier to overcook. Make note of the grain BEFORE you season and cook. Often the tri-tip will be sort of roughly boomerang shaped, and you'll likely want to slice from the apex (the tip)of the roast down towards the tips of the wings. There may be one arm that's longer than the other that can be cut off after cooking and sliced independently (otherwise you'll have very long slices of meat).

Seasoning can range from S&P to something much more elaborate. Garlic can be your friend here in a major way! We used to cook tri-tip multiple times a week when I was younger and living in CA and a local favorite was to marinade in cheap beer + seasoning (Pappy's) overnight before cooking. You could do something similar with red wine if you wanted, but be careful if you get a thin one (it'll be overwhelming). I've also gotten great results from V8 juice spiked with kitchen bouquet.

I'll attach a couple of pics that might give a good idea of what i'm talking about above in terms of how to slice (including where to take off the longer arm). You can see the shape will change a bit during cooking.

Have fun and enjoy -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BGESimon
    Options
    be awarae of the changing grain direction, it´s changing and looks like a fan. I cut teh finished roast always in 2 pieces and slice every Piece 90 degreeses to the grain direction.
  • BGESimon
    Options
    one additional: I season just with cosher sea salt. Tri Tip is a very beefy tasteing cut, needs imho no flavor extension. I use no rub, marinate... just nature with salt.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've done 2 and marinated both times and came out excellent 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I did my first Tuesday for the final Mardi Gras feast of the season.  They're hard to find here, so I had to special request the cut.  Rubbed for about 3 hours, S&P, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, paprika.  Reverse sear pulled at 125 and rested.  It came out amazing.  A new favorite.

NOLA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @buzd504 I had to order mine too. Last night I called around and found another butcher who says he stocks them regularly. I'm looking forward to putting this in the regular rotation!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tri Tip is probably the most popular cut of beef here in central CA.  I prefer them untrimmed, prime untrimmed from Costco are outstanding.  I usually do mine direct at around 400, just used to doing them that way after cooking them for years pre-egg.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @buzd504 I had to order mine too. Last night I called around and found another butcher who says he stocks them regularly. I'm looking forward to putting this in the regular rotation!

Actually, I found out that my grocery cuts their beef pretty much every morning.  If I show up early, I can pretty much get any cut I want (within reason, probably) custom cut fresh.  They really do good work, and their meat counter has great customer service.  (They also dry age whole ribeyes and cut them to order, but that's another thread).
    NOLA
  • jstnezell
    Options
    The results of my first Tri-Tip last night, this cut will go it to heavy rotation...
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nailed it, that looks excellent.