Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't seem to fix this underbite, it keeps getting worse

I haven't tried the washers yet from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg  but i don't see how it would work. I'll give it a go tomorrow I guess.  

In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Have you loosened everything up and put Chanel locks on the flat part of the spring spring assembly and slowly lifted up and shifted forward?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Can you get a pic of the back?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    @Cubbs yes I have, except I just used a regular old crescent wrench. It just keeps reverting.

@grege345 I will get one right now, brb
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Slide that top band as high up as you can get it and the bottom as far down. The top band looks low?? Maybe I am wrong
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jls9595
    Ever since I put my new dome on it wants to do this. I'll try that Chubbs. I am going to try the thing from the video too, might as well. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • grege345
    So the way it looks in your pic it looks like the top band in the back is riding low but if I look at the pic from the front the band seems to be high. The bands to be even from front to back. For example if the top band is 1/8 inch below the bevel (bump) it should be 1/8 below all the way around. Same with bottom. Make sense? Band placement is key here. Also agree with @chubbs. Once you get the bands even without a slant then use the crescent wrech deal. Let us know how you make out. 

• I had this problem.  I pulled the ring and fire box.  Took everything loose.   The bolts that attach spring assembly to the bands and the bands loos from dome and base.  then lined it up like I wanted and put a ratcheting tie down through the handle the top and bottom vents and tightened the **** out of it.  Then tightened everything back to spec torque and spacing using the red spacers and a 1/4" torque wrench.  I still have a minor underbite, but much, much better.
  • jls9595
    ok, will do and thank you very much. I tried to keep them even last time but didn't do a great job with it. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You can't fix it. I struggled with my large for years and taking it apart and getting it close only works until you get it really hot again. The xl band has little slots so you can make minor adjustments to avoid this. I got rid of my large and this was one of the reasons I wasn't sad to see it go. BGE really needs to address this.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Join the club....i can't post my pic I just took of it though.
    Seattle, WA
  • grege345
    @lit agreed. Perfect is never gonna happen. Mine is slightly off but it passes the dollar bill test so ill just deal with it until temps get into the teens so I can spend some time adjusting

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Mine looks like yours. I did the washer thing. Tried a couple of times to set it right then gave up. Food still tastes just as good :)

Moral of the story= don't worry about it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jls9595
    I wouldn't be worried at all except it doesn't pass the dollar test anymore and I'm wasting lump now. I can get it back to "OK" but since I replaced my dome it keeps reverting.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • My first large is lined up pretty good, but I had a heck of a time with my second one. It was pre-assembled so I thought I could easily fix it. 

I finally did, but after I took everything off and started over about a a dozen times. Now it seems to be ok.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I haven't experienced this problem, and I'm guessing here, but the only cure may be a new hinge and band assembly.  If loosening everything, aligning everything, and re-tightening and the underbite returns, then I would have to conclude the metal pieces are no longer the way they are supposed to be.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I had a problem where one side closed (right first then left). I realised it was because the band wasn't perfectly aligned around the dome. Once i sorted that out, it was ok. 
  • jls9595
    Well, it's much better, not perfect but I'm happy if it stays like this. I tried to keep the bands as even although I don't think it's possible to have the bands all the way down to the "lip" on the base and all the way up on the dome and keep them even. I sort of split the difference. I also used the washer technique. It still wants to pull back on the dome slightly as I tighten, oh well. Hopefully this lasts a long time. 

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My dealer told me to left the lid, remove the springs, loosen the nuts and adjust it.  Then tighten the nuts and put the springs back on.  Oh it helps to remove the little plastic caps on the springs first.  So he tells me.  I haven't tired it yet.  Waiting for it not be snowing and a little warmer. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jls9595
    My dealer told me to left the lid, remove the springs, loosen the nuts and adjust it.  Then tighten the nuts and put the springs back on.  Oh it helps to remove the little plastic caps on the springs first.  So he tells me.  I haven't tired it yet.  Waiting for it not be snowing and a little warmer. 
    I didn't do that, but I'll try it if it starts to get worse again.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2015
    Keep in mind that will work on an XL, but the Large springs are very difficult to remove.

I would add two more washers (all top bolts on hinge).

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just an idea here since you said you've only had this problem since you got the replacement dome. This may sound silly to you, but why not take some measurements to see if either that new dome or your old base are out of round! It won't be the first time they are and will never match up! Measure from 12:00 to 6:00 and then 9:00 to 3:00. Do that on both pieces and compare the measurements.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jls9595
    I'll do that RRP, I have replaced both dome and base recently and that's when the problem started.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Darn.  Let me know how it works.   Mine is no longer airtight (burps smoke out the front) but I haven't wanted to mess with it yet because the hinge bolts bent (by design according to the manual) during assembly so I know once I take them off they'll need to be replaced.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    KiterTodd said:
    Darn.  Let me know how it works.   Mine is no longer airtight (burps smoke out the front) but I haven't wanted to mess with it yet because the hinge bolts bent (by design according to the manual) during assembly so I know once I take them off they'll need to be replaced.
    Mine came assembled, but I thought only the band bolts are supposed to bend.  I would not expect bolts on the hinge to be bent.  Maybe I'm wrong.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2015
    Remember Alton Brown will cook with two large clay flower pots. With the Egg if it's in the ballpark it cooks and cooks well. Don't let it ruin your day. Hell lots of us have zero gasket (for years) and not lined up all that well. They just cook. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jls9595
    edited February 2015
    Mickey said:
    Remember Alton Brown will cook with two large clay flower pots. With the Egg if it's in the ballpark it cooks and cooks well. Don't let it ruin your day. Hell lots of us have zero gasket (for years) and not lined up all that well. They just cook. 
    I agree Mickey, the only issue that I've noticed without a decent seal is I'll end up with less lump leftover the next day because it takes longer for the fire to go out. Other than that, I didn't really care. 

I am happy to say the fix I did is still working. There must be something to that washer trick.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    jls9595 said:
    I'll do that RRP, I have replaced both dome and base recently and that's when the problem started.
    Ever measure it?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jls9595
    No I haven't yet RRP, totally forgot. As soon as I adjusted the hinge yesterday I started it up and it's cooking some ribs right now. I will measure it though just to see.

It still has a slight under bite but it's very close to perfect and looks to be staying that way for now. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    I had an underbite too. I loosened everything, did the wrench on the hinge thing, and tightened everything back. Dang near perfect now. Hope it holds!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone