Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Guru

Hi folks.  I'm fairly new to the forum (first post - lurker for about 6 months).  I got an XL BGE this past summer, and have been learning different ways to make awesome food.  I've been reading the forum to get ideas and to gain knowledge.  Well, I just acquired the Guru and am excited to do long cooks without having to wake up every couple of hours to check on the temps. 

On these slow cooks, I've noticed that I get some moisture dripping out the bottom vent.  Not a lot of moisture, but some.  Last weekend, I cooked a pork butt and this moisture froze to the lower vent screen (I live in MN and it was around 0 degrees).  I was wondering if anyone has had issues using the Guru in cold  temps.  My concern is that moisture could get into the blower, freeze, and damage it.  I know that the blower will generally push air away from the blower, into the egg chamber, but it's theoretically possible for moisture to get into the blower.

Any cold weather egg users have problems with this or is this not an issue?

thanks!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Are you using a drip pan?  If not that could be the fat dripping down into the fire box.  If you are leaving it open then moisture could get in.  If your not using a drip pan, I suggest try that next time.  I haven't cooked at 0 before, so I am not sure what else it could be.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Are you using a drip pan?  If not that could be the fat dripping down into the fire box.  If you are leaving it open then moisture could get in.  If your not using a drip pan, I suggest try that next time.  I haven't cooked at 0 before, so I am not sure what else it could be.
    I do have a drip pan on top of the plate setter (legs up).  I don't believe that this moisture is dripping from the meat.  Maybe it's just higher humidity inside the egg, but it condenses on the bottom vent because it's hitting colder air?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine does this also its normal. As far as freezing I don't know maybe worrying about nothing imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Ready for a new 10 year war?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    What you are experiencing is normal.  I turn my fan unit so that it is vertical.  If you leave it horizontal there is a good chance that the moisture will collect in the unit itself and freeze the fan in place.  No Bueno when that happens in the middle of the night and the fire goes out.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Normal is the operative word during low-n-slows.  Same set up as you have - plate setter legs up with a dry drip pan - and the lower vent area gets moisture in, on, and around it.  Haven't had any problems with the blower freezing up, but have had door problems.  If you don't dry out the lower track with paper towels when you shut down, then the lower vent does have a tendency to freeze closed.  Easy to fix with a blow torch, but a pain.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ready for a new 10 year war?
    gosh I hope so!  This rivalry needs to be boosted with equal competition

• Romain said:
    What you are experiencing is normal.  I turn my fan unit so that it is vertical.  If you leave it horizontal there is a good chance that the moisture will collect in the unit itself and freeze the fan in place.  No Bueno when that happens in the middle of the night and the fire goes out.
    with the fan vertical, the water could still pool, no?  I don't have it in front of me, so I can't be sure.  Maybe that water would pool away from the bearings, which saves the blower from freezing?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    @ marroquin - Won't be long for Harbaugh but he's gonna need at least 2 full classes under his belt.  We need another B1G team to beat up the SEC! SEC! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2015
    @marroquin I think you accidently put some lame Wolverine helmet for your avatar. Maroon and Gold helmet would look much classier! =)

Don't worry about the moisture.  The blower sits right next to the fire grate and is exposed to the heat.  Moisture shouldn't affect the blower in anyway.  My Auber controller hates the cold and the electronics can go haywire. Nothing a few towels wrapped around it can't fix.  The blower has never been an issue the last 5 years of winter egging here in MN for me 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @ marroquin - Won't be long for Harbaugh but he's gonna need at least 2 full classes under his belt.  We need another B1G team to beat up the SEC! SEC! 
    I think he'll surprise in year 1 with how many wins he gets.  But, he needs to get an elite QB and a strong OL to truly compete, which will take a couple years.  On the up and up tho
  • I have an XL as well and I just bought a Guru for Christmas. The first go at it, the temp was about 1 or 2F with probably a -10-15F windchill. The cook was going well, then I noticed on my Maverick that the pit temp was dropping. I went out to investigate, and the moisture from the Egg froze the fan blades. I could hear the blower trying to kick on, but it would only go for a second or two before turning itself off. I had to bring the Guru inside to thaw it out. That happened a few more times during that cook, so I finally gave up on it. I had the blower horizontal, but I don't know if having it vertical would make a difference or not. 

I probably won't risk using it on a long cook in such extreme cold temperatures again. I've used it in "warmer" temps (15F), and it worked exactly as it should. 
  • Romain
    marroquin said:

Romain said:
    with the fan vertical, the water could still pool, no?  I don't have it in front of me, so I can't be sure.  Maybe that water would pool away from the bearings, which saves the blower from freezing?
    When horizontal I think the moisture condensates between the fan itself and the aluminum housing.  And freezes in cold weather.  

I believe that there may be more room between the housing and fan when vertical.

When doing low and slows during the winter, I put my unit vertical and the moisture drips from the housing and forms a small ice mound on the deck.

There have been other threads regarding this.  Maybe search under freezing guru.
  • Romain
    edited February 2015
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1435164#Comment_1435164

Scroll down to alphonse's remark.

When vertical, the fan sits higher than the air flow tube thing.  And since water can't flow uphill.....