Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs Small eggs

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the major difference besides price between the mini and the small? What can the small do that the mini can not? Which would everyone reccomend to purchase? I have a large. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. What additional equipment is needed for the small and the mini? Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    BajaTom, The small is much more like your large than the mini. I use my small to cook anything that fits on it, instead of my large. With Chubby's gratemates, you can do lots of raised grid cooks and indirects with a small. I use my small more than my large. The small is a great cooker.[p]The mini is more of a specialty item with much less versatility than the small. Food is very close to the coals, and indirects are possible, but a stretch.[p]You can carry a mini by yourself, but probably not a small. I bought my mini to camp with, but ended up taking my small most often for versatility. [p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    BajaTom,
    the small can be used the same as a large, just different size and capacity. the mini is more of a small grill, not much of a smoker. get the small, i have 2 larges and 1 small. the small is a miser at lump consumption compared to the large

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Parrothead
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I would have to agree with the feedback you have already gotten. My wife bought me a mini for my birthday 2 years ago, and it works great for tailgating and the like. However, with Chubby's creations, the small is just like the large only not as big. If you are mainly going to keep it stationary, I would have to say go with the small.[p]I just wish my wife would have let me know she was wanting to get me an egg as a birthday gift...I would have voted for the small. But hey, who is going to argue with the wife...especially when she is taking upon herself to get me an egg!!!![p]Wobbly pops to ya![p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Dixie_Flyer
    Options
    Borders,[p]What are "Chubby's gratemates" if I may ask? I recently bought a small to go along with my large -- I got the small primarily to cook steaks on but I'd be interested in learning about the gratemates and seeing what else that I could do with the small.[p]thanks
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    dixie_flyer, see the link below.

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    BajaTom,
    Go for the small. You can fit a 5 quart iron pot inside! Plenty big enough. Larger grill to me would mean adding another couple of inches around waist.

• Paterfamilias
    Options
    I just got a small to go with my large and its awesome. The mother ship has an indirect package for about $60 that includes another grate, fire ring, pizza stone, ceramic 'pie dish'. This makes an excellent set-up for indirect. Basically, you just set the second fire ring on top of the grate. The pie dish goes in the middle and leaves about 3/4" gap around for airflow. I placed a 9" aluminum pie pan on the ceramic pie dish to catch the drippings. The second grate goes on top of the second fire ring for the shoulder to sit. (You don't use the pizza stone in this set-up. You can use it without the second fire ring for pizza and bread, pies, etc.)

I just finished an 8lb shoulder and its outstanding. It cooked for over 16 hours on one load of lump. Granted I did load the small almost to the top of the fire ring (above the 'fire box'.) This is still not much lump. I'm still amazed at how little lump it takes. I think all the extra ceramic maintains the heat very well.

-Pater